Why Did They Make Barbarians Tougher?

I was wondering, why can´t Combat AI be as good as the barbarians, that would at least provide a real challenge for human players don´t you think?
AI needs to be way more suicidal when attacking cities. For some reason it is intimidated by garrisoned units and walls. However, as far as I know and understand this cannot be change by mods yet. So we need either new tools or Firaxis has to do it. I also think that would be one of the things that could lead to a different AI with higher difficulty. Leave the aggression level as it is now for the lower levels, maybe up until Prince. King and above make the AI don't care that much anymore if its units get harmed as long as there is a chance that it will win the battle/capture the city.

The AI simply doesn't train many military units.
They need to boost that.
To my understanding, this has at least partially to do with upkeep costs. The AI on higher levels should not care much about those though, since it gets massive bonuses for its economy.

Camps spawn more
Archers are now used (a pain)
Swordsmen are stronger
Scouts are very agressive at times.
Camp lost rage

All of this I have found not such an issue. Quickly explore the area all around your city and as soom as a camp appears jump on it. Know your terrain including other civ amd CS locations, because then you have a better idea where barbs will come from. The old trick of getting rid of the fog also limits barbs.

What I have found an issue is the AI struggles more and later the looted luxuries means rebels occur in their cities. Especially around immortal/deity the AI science is ahead and tends to rush Anti tank (AT) troops. This means I am attacking a civ with my musketmen when 3 AT barbs appear suddenly and I die as they target me. The upside is the CIV normally targets them but AT barbs are just nasty.... Or mechanised infantry.

Its easier for them to make barbs tougher than to toughen the skill level of the AI

Last edited:
AI needs to be way more suicidal when attacking cities. For some reason it is intimidated by garrisoned units and walls. However, as far as I know and understand this cannot be change by mods yet. So we need either new tools or Firaxis has to do it. I also think that would be one of the things that could lead to a different AI with higher difficulty. Leave the aggression level as it is now for the lower levels, maybe up until Prince. King and above make the AI don't care that much anymore if its units get harmed as long as there is a chance that it will win the battle/capture the city.

I totally agree.

Additionnally, I think Barbarian agression should be delayed a little (maybe start on turn 20-30 or so instead of turn 5), in order to give the player viable exploration or building options at the beginning of the game and not force them to have to go for military units every single time (as it was mentioned in another post).

I like the fact that barbarians are tough to deal with, they add real danger to the game. However, this can only work if the AI is able to deal with them. This way, the game doesn´t become unbalanced (as in AI crushed by barbarians) and it would take some of the load off of the human players (by having the AI dealing with some of the camps).

As the barbarians are that tough, there should be a way to know where they spawn in parts of the map that have been explored (as was suggested in another post).

Finally I think that the balance between unit types should be better. Anti Cavalry units should really crush Mounted Units, who should crush regular melee units, who in turn should crush anti-cavalry units. Having archery units really weak in melee shoud complete the trick. Siege units should be more dangerous to cities but same thing, very weak to melee attacks. What I mean is that unit strength should always be relative to the unit type they are facing (kind of like pokemons with plants, rock, electricity, fire, water etc...). Naval combat has to be retooled as well but that´s another topic.

Right now Mounted units wether they are light or heavy cavalry are too hard to deal with, building spearmen should be an easy counter and would force every player human or AI, to build and use balanced armies, or decide to specialize in something but with greater risk of being countered.

If the AI just knew how to use these unit types and with these simple things, I don´t even think Barbs would have to be nerfed compared to what they are now post patch. Having a better AI and delaying their agression should do it.

This game is so awesome, I just wish Firaxis could put out an AI that can play it :/

I found a way to make the barbarians much easier to deal with.

I started a game on Immortal, large map where I added 6 more AI's and reduced the city states to 8.
My AI neighbors are so close that there is not much room for barbarians camps to pop on the map.

So this game was very easy to deal with the few barbarians that showed up.

The downside was that I had room to found only 2 more cities.

Last edited:
I found a way to make the barbarians much easier to deal with.

I started a game on Immortal, large map where I added 6 more AI's and reduced the city states to 8.
My AI neighbors are so close that there is not much room for barbarians camps to pop on the map.

So this game was very easy to deal with the few barbarians that showed up.

The downside was that I had room to found only 2 more cities.

You didn't really sove the issue. Plus, you have more cities at your disposal, waiting to be conquered.

(One would think that more AI made things more difficult, but alas...)

You didn't really sove the issue. Plus, you have more cities at your disposal, waiting to be conquered.

(One would think that more AI made things more difficult, but alas...)

I am NOT trying to solve the issue, the issue will be there until Firaxis solves it via a patch.
I was suggesting a game setup that may help to suppress the raging barbarians we currently have.

Also, with such game setup players are going to have fewer cities initially (not more cities) until they start conquering AI's cities.

Being immediately smashed by barbarian Caravels when you go out into the ocean is fun.

For the AI failing at combatting barbs, they need to make it so the AI protects its non-combat units better, and actively kills barb camps more.

It does, in fact it gets a damage bonus against everything. The AI just sucks.

Do the barbarians also get a combat bonus? If so, then the AI's and Barbarian's bonuses cancel each other.

6 starts post patch and can't say I've noticed any significant undocumented change in barbarian behavior. Had one of the six rolls spawn a horse encampment but had city states to help. The other 5 rolls were pretty standard, only on 2 of them did I have to focus on military first due to barbarians.

If the AI civs were as good as the Barbs Id be in trouble! Seriously, there must be a way of making barbs a little bit worse (not much!) and making the AI civs a bit better?

Ive watched the barbs taking out the AI civs and it is quite funny to watch. Not so funny when they turn on me though!

I liked the new barbarian behavior. The only thing I would change is avoiding the appearance of horsemen until 30~40% of civilizations get the corresponding technology. It is very hard to deal with two horsemen and a mounted archer that appear in less than first 20 turns of the game. Two warriors and a slinger is a fair challenge at this time of the game.

You guys tricked me into buying Civ6. Thought barbarians was gonna be actually a threat. They still isn't lol. I started like five new games and played for first 100 turns with me still playing my 5th out. They were a snoozefest if anything, bit easier than civ5 barbarians.

I usually have a big ancient era army walking around looking for skulls to bash or extracting tributes from AIs who think they're better than me. So far, they have caused a grand total of four damage to me.. Two dead scouts + two pillaged stone quarries. And the scouts died because I just really wanted to visit that goody hut under the protection of a big group of barbarians. :p

Top Bottom