1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do you like Civ Dos better than Win Civ? Or do you?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by stwils, Nov 24, 2007.

1. sjongejonge

sjongejonge Chieftain

I play WinCiv because I figured out to install VirtualXP on my Win7 so I can play the game.

I didn't figure out yet how to play WinCiv on Win10; any suggestions?

I am not playing the dos version because I thought I gave up trying to work dos box and I cannot put the 3"5 disks in my computer.

2. d0c

d0c Chieftain

Please tell me more about your Palm OS port. Do you have any sources available. I have been digging through all reverse engineering threads on the board to find us much information as I can about the inner workings of CIV1.

3. Posidonius

Posidonius Civherder

Virtual machine. Install W7 in the sandbox then the W7->XP 'legacy program' translator, then CivWin. Or, simply install XP and CivWin in the sandbox.

4. sjongejonge

sjongejonge Chieftain

Thanks! I will remember this for when the time comes to upgrade to W10.

5. Volcanon

Volcanon Warlord

CivDos works on Dosbox, which works on my Macbook. It runs very fast. Not a lot of crashing other than maybe me save-scumming because my bomber died once again to a phalanx.

Macintosh Civilization 1 is the actual pinnacle of Civ goodness and I have an old candy-colored iMac for that. Emulating Classic Mac OS is a pain in the butt though. Last time I tried for another app it was really unstable. DosBox is way more convenient than trying to virtualize an old version of Windows on my Windows 10 PC or my Macbook only to play Civ 1.

Edit: If it works on Windows XP natively then I could also just use that. Does it work "bug free"? A lot of older 1990s apps don't work properly on XP, like the Magic the Gathering game.