Why is CiV so boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theodorick

King
Now of course everyone won't agree with this, so this thread is mainly for people who are in the same boat as me. I have been with the civilization series since the very start, and even liked Civ III to the point that I almost failed my senior year because of it. I still play Civ IV a few times a week.

Being an avid fan--I have gone as far as to try and get my friends to jump on the civ bandwagon, and have made numerous scenarios in Civ IV--I'd have thought I'd really enjoy CiV. I didn't enjoy CiV though.

I never tried Civ revolutions because so many called it a step down in quality and complexity from the civilization series as a whole. Possibly that's when I should have stopped dipping into civilization, if the developers were lowering their standards.

Now about CiV, I just find it painfully boring. I got through a few games, and never once could say I was engaged or very interested in anything going on. It felt like there were a lot of pretty lights, but it was all very shallow in the end, like some fireworks show that's ten times more enjoyable when you're drunk, and just as forgetful when you're sober. I barely made it to 60 hours of playtime according to steam. This is pathetic, since Civ IV gets more play time a month still than CiV has made since release, and I don't see the play time going any higher.

Why do I find CiV so boring? I am not the only one that's found it boring. Two of my friends who I got into the civilization series a few years ago, also found CiV boring, and one only got to 18 hours playtime before uninstalling it and heading to better pastures. That's made me a little -sad-, because it seems the Civ franchise lost three loyal or developing to be loyal costumers at once, and it makes me wonder just how many more were lost in the bigger picture.

I found CiV so boring, I can't see myself buying an expansion. I might buy the next civilization, but even with that I am on the edge. The CiV franchise to me has turned into some hypothetical wonderful girlfriend, who cooks you an excellent meal and makes amazing love to you each night, but suddenly on the 5th night, she's had a lobotomy, is suffering from amnesia, lost her sense of smell, and is partly paralyzed, but she makes a strong attempt to cook you dinner and make love with you anyways, even though she has no idea what she's doing. In other words, I've never been so bored and disappointed about a Civ game ever. CiV's dinner is bland, and after you finish it, you just want to go to sleep and forget that it ever happened.

Moderator Action: Indeed. Please use existing thread, thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom