Why river connection works without "sailing" technology

iamzyp

Chieftain
I'm a newbie for BTS (not entirely since I managed to win in noble level:lol:). But I have a maybe minor but serious question about the city/resource connection by river.

I'm playing BTS 3.19. My question is: Why my two cities can be connected without "sailing" tech? Please see attached screenshots and the save file. The second city York is connected to the capital. But I haven't researched the "sailing" tech. And according to the description of "sailing", it enables the connection through river. :confused:
no sailing0000.JPG

yet connected0000.JPG

It maybe a minor problem, but sometimes, this will affect the order of tech I should research. For example, two cities are nearby river, one city is sitting on an important resource, then I don't need to research road, or even "sailing" to enable to connection?

Thanks for you attention and help.

Attachments

• question1.CivBeyondSwordSave
    178 KB · Views: 47
Many many thanks! Has it ever mentioned in civpedia.... Sounds like a small bug...

It's by design. You might view Sailing as the tech which makes ships sophisticated enough to sail outside your borders.

It's by design. You might view Sailing as the tech which makes ships sophisticated enough to sail outside your borders.

You Sir, have an excellant sense of irony. A heartfelt +1 on your sig :goodjob:.

It's strange. Even though the authorities listen, they never seem to catch up... As for me, I just ignore them and live my life the way I choose. So far it's worked pretty well.

Similarly, IIRC ocean tiles can be worked and navigated prior to discovering Astronomy so long as they're in your cultural borders. I remembered being annoyed, assuming that I had to wait until I teched Astronomy to start whaling, only to discover that in fact it's unnecessary so long as the Whales are in your borders.

On some maps "ocean bridges" (ocean tiles inside your borders next to coast tile other side) are key elements of the game (that can be difference between win and lose) :) If you can get to AI land but (s)he can't get back, you get safety from attacks (so you can refuse demands etc., atleast until Astro) + all trade routes you can get without giving any trade routes to AI (Ai will tech atleast some % slower with this situation :D )

Plus Work Boats can duck into Ocean tiles to escape Galleys and Triremes. Always a fun way to thwart pirates.

Top Bottom