Will it be possible to play ciV with a PCI video card?

You might be able to, but I really don't recommend it.

If your motherboard only has PCI slots, I doubt you're using a processor with enough horsepower to run the game very well. Perhaps it's time for a major upgrade?

get a new computer, only that will meet recommended specs is only $400

I suggest an AMD ASUS AM series performance motherboard. They are excellent, last forever and affordable. Even the integrated graphics will be vastly superior to what you currently use.

I suggest an AMD ASUS AM series performance motherboard. They are excellent, last forever and affordable. Even the integrated graphics will be vastly superior to what you currently use.

AMDs are great for gamers on a budget, like $100 quad cores??

Well, I guess I'll just have to buy a new computer. I just found a fantastic deal on the internet, just €279,- for a real powerhouse with a quadcore processor, 2 gigs of RAM expandable to 4 gigs, good integrated graphics and a PCIe slot. Thanks for your help!

You might be able to play if you stay in the strategic view. :p

Well, I guess I'll just have to buy a new computer. I just found a fantastic deal on the internet, just €279,- for a real powerhouse with a quadcore processor, 2 gigs of RAM expandable to 4 gigs, good integrated graphics and a PCIe slot. Thanks for your help!

The bolded part is an oxymoron imo, but for 279 it sounds quite good.

That says everything you need to know.

Get out there and upgrade! :goodjob:

It shows that message to me to. And I don't have weak PC (GF M9650, C2D 2.5 GHZ, 4GB RAM). It just doesn't have some piece of key hardware (most likely the graphics card in my case, in OP's probably too) in its predefined performance tables, so it doesn't know what settings to use as default.

The bolded part is an oxymoron imo, but for 279 it sounds quite good.
And it's got a PCIe slot, so a dedicated GPU can be installed if the stock setup isn't satisfactory. Though I imagine that if he's coming from the system he's describing, it should definitely be satisfactory. :D

My computer only has a PCI slot, no AGP or PCIe. Does anyone know if there's a PCI video card that can handle ciV?

There are a 9500GT and a a 9400GT from Sparkle, what seem to be the fastest models available for PCI. And according to the customer comments at newegg, people are actually able to play games as of 2010 with the (slower) 9400GT. Good luck finding one of those at an etailer.

PCI has half the bandwith of PCIe 1.0 1x. This will obviously reduce the performance of the card compared to the standard PCIe 1.0/2.0 16x. Nevertheless, even much more powerful cards suffer only in some cases a drastic performance hit wenn running at PCIe 1x. The slower cards will be less affected by a reduced bandwith.
A "normal" 9500GT would be a bit faster than the "minimum" 7900Gs, a 9400GT a bit slower. The PCI versions would both be slower than the 7900gs, but still in the same league. So it will be probably playable at minmum settings.

And you would be probably dependent on the drivers provided by sparkle, as already the support for AGP cards by nVidia is abysmal.

Edit: too late ...

I know, but I can easily upgrade it with a video card.
Danger Will Robinson! This is not always possible to do, especially with cheaper pre-built computers. My experience was with a refurbished HP machine for my wife. We replaced the video card, but the additional power requirements meant that it only would power on sometimes. Eventually we gave up and just used integrated video. I tried to replace the power supply, but that was riveted into the system. Eventually the PC died. Good riddance, though it was worth what we paid for it, which was not much.

Your plan might work for you, but make sure that your planned video card's power requirements are within the power output of the stock power supply. Over time, power supplies slowly lose their ability, so maybe stay within 75% of the rated value. Preferably, make sure the power supply is removable. You probably cannot verify all this on a cheap machine when buying online. Good luck.

Top Bottom