Will there be alpha centuari II

Discussion in 'Alpha Centauri' started by ShadowWarrior, Feb 1, 2002.

1. earthguido

earthguido Warlord

Guys... do not get serious, this is the only way to channel my energy and ask for things that I know are very very unlikely to happen.

On the other hand the little guy inside my head tells me that I do not need to donate $1.000.000 but to find 100.000 people willing to purchase the game. I know I will not find any of the two, but... I feel it is worth trying. I think you do as well.

2. Gelion

Gelion Captain

We can do a petition named "we'll buy the game if you relese it" :).
    I'm on!

3. earthguido

earthguido Warlord

Sign me in!!!

4. Kaboth

Kaboth Prince

I've decided the only course of action to resolve this dispute is to kidnap Brian Reynolds and force him to create SMAC2 :goodjob:

All jokes aside, A dedicated SMAC community could probably make a worth sequel. If a leader arose with a clear vision who could unite talented SMAC IT personnel to each offer some of their time to working on this great project. But in reality these sorts of ambitious projects seem never to reach completion and members seem to leave the projects regularly.

You need not be an IT expert to work on these projects, keen people can learn through the development process. And others such as myself, who have difficulty programming can always help with ideas, concepts, fiction and most importantly testing.

Your best bet for some fresh SMAC action is probably the Alderbaran2 mod in the SMAC creation forum at Apolyton.

5. Nword

Nword Chieftain

With said petition above... I wouldn't sign unless we demanded compatability with Windows 9x, ME, NT, XP and so on.... heck, throw in linux for some more happy people :)

6. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

I have to agree with kaboth, there are lots of devoted fans out there with superb programming and graphics skills (I sadly lack those skills though). With the right leader, and the right people a really good sequal could be made.

Though to be released as anything but cool Freeware on the net it would likely have to be submitted to Fraxis for the SMAC Title and distrobution. Fraxis might have to do some minor editing... but at least they'd know that there is a demand... and most of the work is already done for them.

Though looking at Freeciv it could take devoted fans quite a while to "finish" such a project completely. Concidering that devoted fans rarely have the resources and time (the biggest factor) to produce a high quality product in a reasonable amount of time. As Amesjustin said he'd be happy to devote 5-10 hours a week, but that pales in comparison to the 40+ hours a week employees of Fraxis would put into a program.

7. Gelion

Gelion Captain

We need to start organizing of stuff never gets ready. What are your ideas on how we should go about it and what are your personal strengths?

8. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

9. earthguido

earthguido Warlord

I can't programme at all, I can do all the rest! think, test, throw ideas, etc. :coffee:

10. Nword

Nword Chieftain

Well if you want a new twist to the game, the Aldebaran mod over at the Apolyton.net forums is quite different and a significant bit tougher... :)

11. Terje

Terje The Red Semi-Menace

If we made all the people we know who liked SMAC sand an e-mail to Firaxis, asking for SMAC2, maybe they'd understand that there is a market for this game....

12. DilithiumDad

DilithiumDad Warlord

I agree about trying mods. Or make your mod addressing your pet issues.

13. Gopal

Gopal Chieftain

Not that I neccisarily think that the world needs a ACII but it definitely needs a game that uses all its qualitys in a modern game because all the other games suck in comparison especialy the new ones they thever seem to have any depth as if the people that made the game werent very inspired by the storyline

... Anyways where can I sign up for the petition!

14. pertm

pertm Chieftain

I had a few thoughts about this one ACII would be cool. An alternative could be if there was 2 Starships launched from earth and the secound landed on Beta Centauri instead of Alpha Centauri.

15. Wilhelm Kaleva

Wilhelm Kaleva King in exile

16. Meatbuster

Meatbuster formerly Robo Kai

All the posts at the start of this thread about SMAC2 WILL BE CRAP COZ CIV3 HAS CRAP GRAPHICS is now invalidated. It's the time of Civ4 now. If they plan on releasing SMAC2 it will look awesome.

17. WaxonWaxov

WaxonWaxov Warlord

18. ClamBoy

ClamBoy Chieftain

I remember Outpost. Never really dug into it. I might still have it kicking around somewhere.

I've been going through my old/older games, hence the SMAC thing... and found a few that I want to light up again. Independence War is another. On the tripleX front, I used to play a bunch of PBEM VGA planets. Lots of fun.

19. kingangel1026

kingangel1026 Chieftain

man they should make a AC2, AC was a great game it could use some fix ups and call it AC2 then every one would be good to go I am hoping that they make a Ac2 so that I could upgrade it from AC :cry: come on some one tell fraxis to make Ac2 :cry:

20. kingangel1026

kingangel1026 Chieftain

OH yeah i think it is a bit bettter than CIv 3