Will there be alpha centuari II

civ3 with c3c 1.15b is a very good game. I agree if it were to incorporate a lot of the things AC had and it didn't, Civ4 would be great.

Given the choice of AC2 or Civ4, I would go AC2.

And if wishes were horses, beggars would ride...

I think that the game engine would need a complete re-write to accomodate better graphics and the AI would need a complete overhaul. Considering the market for SMAC was pretty small, the chances of there being a SMAC II are some where between none and non-existant.

The best hope is to go after other games like Galactic Civilizations. That and keep your SMAC cd around for a quick fix when you are feeling nostalgic.

D.

Originally posted by gen.dragolen
The best hope is to go after other games like Galactic Civilizations. That and keep your SMAC cd around for a quick fix when you are feeling nostalgic.

GALCIV is more like CIV3 in space. I'd like to see a game like SMAC, where you're dealing with a single planet instead of a galaxy. There was a CIV2 mod that used Mars as a background. Unfortunately, CIV3 doesn't easily lend itself to that kind of mod.

Galciv is an O.K. civ-type game..... kinda' disappointing in my opinion(very good game though! - Love sci-fi stuff)...... I don't know how to explain it, I just hope the next civ game will have SMACx goverment model and unit creatiion...

I like how in SMAC, when you have beaten the AI down really badly, they will swear a pact to serve you the rest of the game. I wish the AI in Civ3/IV would do that. :(

Just been thinking maybe part 2 will never show but that doesn't stop us from thinking up a good story :D what i got thus far wich would work for a sequel i believe.

After loosing contact with the spaceship the people at Earth were forced to believe that their finale project had been a failure. In a joint operation of many countries a new ship was created, but because of the small building time humanity had to find a planet closer by earth wich would be able to substain humanoid life forms. Just after this ship had been constructed such a planet was found thus course is set to this planet just before the destruction of the earth (would make for a nice intro movie :D )

In the meantime on Alpha Centauri conflict between the Progenitors and the Usurpers was reaching a climax. Many human factions were already chosing sides to try and survive the hard times. After a discovery made by the University and the Gaians it seemed the planet it selve was suffering the most under this conflict and the idea started for a swift evacuation.

At one point Alpha Centauri started to lose its vertility and all that was left were the wars being waged on it. And still the planet was going worse the given factions didnt have enough time to evacutate everyone and so a hand full of people per faction escaped before the planet died off. (this way not every faction comes back in the sequel :) ) Course was set for a distant planet wich substained humanoid lifeforms yet they didnt know the given ship from Earth was going to this exact planet.

In the meantime the ship coming from Earth was having some internal conflicts and even though the people worked togheter factions were already forming.

The planet these two were going to wasnt empty for an alien race had crash landed there 2 years before starting a small and peacefull society within the planet. Little did they know their peacefull and enlightend society was about to be rudely interupted.
Upon arrival the factions from Alpha Centauri and Earth started to spread out as soon as they could claiming as much land as they could and thus the story starts.

Alot of interesting ideas here..I wonder if Firaxis are quietly taking notes?? :)

I was suprised when firaxis realised Civ3 and it didn't get a 3d landscape like AC.. I saw a large faction lose almost half of its bases when the icecaps rose! The 3d lanscape was a great touch. And the talking Datalinks...the atmosphere created was "See the future now!"
It was great seeing your faction spreading across, barren mesas, lush valleys and into the oceans.

The AC concept of a human future in space is awe inspiring...Almost on par with the Red Mars series..great stuff.

Firaxis has said before that it would never happen. I don't think they were too pleased with that game, though I have no idea why. Maybe something to do with parting programmers....

Originally posted by Amesjustin
Firaxis has said before that it would never happen. I don't think they were too pleased with that game, though I have no idea why. Maybe something to do with parting programmers....

Sadly thats looks like the case...with Reynolds going :( . Hmm Its funny how RoN used a 3D landscape and Civ3 didn't.. I wonder if thats Reynolds influence?

I'd love to see SMAC 2. I don't mind them making it - even if it's bad, I can still play SMAC. Civ3 is out, but I still play Civ2... it's hard to improve on perfection.

here is what i would like of AC-2

A- you can view your citys

B- graphics are better

C- new way to win build a Mother ship and travel back to earth

D- new factions new building new wonders

There may not be a SMAC 2 but I don't feel it's too difficult to imagine something similar being released sometime in the future. I mean, colonizing a planet in the not too distant future is an appealing idea and whilst a civ type game set in this scenario would have a limited market that's not to say that it wouldn't be worth someone making. At the end of the day you're serving the strategy gamer market and the sci fi fans, not just civ and SMAC fans.

What about AC2 as a map of Civ4?

I want more aspects of unit design.
And the game itself damnit! :mad: Why cannot tmey make AC2?

Yeah, let's insist on AC2...

Petition? :(

Demand! :bounce:

earthguido said:
Yeah, let's insist on AC2...

Gelion said:
Petition? :(

earthguido said:

I would suggest you instead find a spare million or so and give it to them... thats what would get it made, not petitions or demands. The realities of game development mean nothing can get made unless a publisher or somebody is willing to put up a large amount of money and its not easy to convince anyone to do that. Maybe one day an AC2 will be made, but it seems unlikely in the near future.

Merepatra said:
I would suggest you instead find a spare million or so and give it to them... thats what would get it made, not petitions or demands. The realities of game development mean nothing can get made unless a publisher or somebody is willing to put up a large amount of money and its not easy to convince anyone to do that. Maybe one day an AC2 will be made, but it seems unlikely in the near future.

Not to mention the sad reality that although fans of these types of Strategy Fans tend to be rather hardcore (myself included), we are a fairly rare breed. The real money is to be had in other types of games like MMORPGs that not only have a larger fan base but also a monthly continuity income.

If you are serious about trying to get AC2 or something similar going, try and convince Firaxis to sponsor a donation drive to help fund it. To further reduce costs, they could ask for some fan-based open-source programming. I would be more than willing to donate 5 to 10 hours a week programming free of charge and about $100 to Firaxis for this. I am sure several other people are willing to donate whatever they can as well.

Top Bottom