1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10, Update 1909

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by aimeeandbeatles, Mar 13, 2020.

1. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

That has not been my experience. I do not think the OS can write to the BIOS, UEFI or otherwise, because updating a BIOS can be a painful experience if it goes wrong. I would hate to think ms is doing that as they cannot seem to get an update out without issues, never mind writing to my BIOS. :eek:

2. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

They probably don't write to the BIOS, but they remember your machine somehow when you activate. I assume they are reading some kind of unique identifier from the BIOS but I don't know. I bought a refurbished desktop recently with a wiped HDD and no OS. Because it previously had Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro installed (not sure which), I was able to activate 10 Pro without entering a 25-digit key. I thought I was installing 10 Home because that's what I paid the refurbisher for, but MS remembered the machine and upgraded to Pro and activated automatically with a digital license the first time I connected to the Internet. There's a command you can run to extract the license key from an activated system... Let me look that up...

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

I have a few of those keys tucked away down from machines I have scrapped. I have no idea whether they are transferable (reusable) but I figure one might get me out of hot water some day. :)

I am somewhat knowledgeable about this, but I am not an expert and my observations could be totally misguided and wrong. But it has worked for me on about a dozen different machines; at home and at work and for friends.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  3. leif erikson

Good to know, thanks. :thumbsup:

4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

On my mother's computer, I was able to get past the online account by putting in an invalid password a few times.

5. Jürgen

Jürgen Chieftain

Hi Good afgernoon, I am not quite sure if you can help. But i recently installend Windows 10 (not bij ugrade win7) and upgrades my pc a bit. But Civ 5 isnn't working propper. I have large graphical issues. I posted an item on the forum, but did not get any reaction. Ik see your are a administrator.. maybe
    you could help?

6. leif erikson

Not sure what you need help with?

Please make sure you video drivers are up to date. If you bought the game from STEAM, you can have STEAM check your local cache files to ensure they loaded properly. Beyond that, I have no idea how your computer system is configured, what graphics card you have or anything else?

7. zxcvbob

zxcvbob Emperor

On some machines (like one of mine with marginal hardware) you have to *roll back* your video driver to the OEM driver after updating Windows. Or goto the manufacturer's website and download their Windows 7 driver and install that.