Windows xp Pro vers windows xp 64 Pro

Atol

Chieftain
What I m trying to find out which windows will work better for this game?

Windows xp pro which I can run 4gb of ram.
Or

windows xp 64 PRo where I can run 16gb of ram Plus 1tb of virtural memory?

and you have 16GB of RAM? haha

there's no common motherboard that accepts morethan 4GB. Are you making fun of memory leak?

Well, everyone I know running 64bit loves it and can play many (if not all) their 32bit games. Some drivers have yet to be written for current hardware, so be aware of that, if you choose to upgrade.
[edit]Somewhat OT: is anyone reading this playing the game on a 64bit OS?

So far I found Motherboards like this one

GA-K8N51PVMT-9
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 chipset

Processor

Socket 939 supports AMD Athlon64 X2/ 64 FX/ 64

Chipset

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6150 and NVIDIA nForce™ 430

Super I/O: Winbond W83627 chip

Integrated peripherals

VIA VT 6307 IEEE1394 controller

CICADA VSC 8201 Gigabit LAN PHY chip

Realtek ALC880 Audio Codec

Memory

Type: Dual channel DDR400/ 333/ 266 -184pin

Max capacity: Up to 4GB by 4 DIMM slots

I would not upgrade yet. But In a few days I will be getting a new Mouse and keyboard combo. Which will stop the driver issue with windows 64 Pro and Logictech fx 500 and I will be getting windows 64 at the same time. Then waiting for the next generation of Dual core cpu. I started out with windows 64 xp bata

Before you upgrade to Windows X64, burn a CD of 64-bit drivers, including your network card, video card, and possibly your motherboard RAID driver(s) if you have any hard drives connected to it.

Windows XP 64 does not offer a significant improvement in performance, because, right now, there are very few 64 bit applications in the market.

Atol said:
What I m trying to find out which windows will work better for this game?

Windows xp pro which I can run 4gb of ram.
Or

windows xp 64 PRo where I can run 16gb of ram Plus 1tb of virtural memory?
I have game loaded on both partitions, and it works best for me on XP Pro 64

ThorGoLucky said:
Before you upgrade to Windows X64, burn a CD of 64-bit drivers, including your network card, video card, and possibly your motherboard RAID driver(s) if you have any hard drives connected to it.

Thor that might have been true on earler virsions, but the one I just installed I didnt have a problem.

Civ IV is a 32bit program and a 32bit program is only allowed 2gb of ram.

I agree with your Post. That it seems to work better on windows 64 pro. Less memory and so on windows xp I ran up to 1gb just on the game. On windows 64 It half that. Only problem I had was Ati installing. Basicly it was doing the one fix civ4 had for windows xp or 2000.

Oh to ThorGoLucky. I just got windows 64 Pro tonight. Only thing I had to update was My Mouse and keyboard. Loghitech 3100 combo. And my system is running 100%

Wrong fatal0e. Windows xp pro and windows 2000 can support 2.5gb of ram.

Panza105 You ever notice a ram decrease on windows 64?

Windows 2000 and XP can use 4gb, but usually only end up with 3.5gb, the applications are only given 2gb each.

Top Bottom