Winning peacefully on higher difficulties

One of the easiest/most sure-fire ways to win is to wage war offensively & spying at least to some extent. What about winning peacefully/with only defensive wars/no spying? What are your recommendations, be it general or civ-specific?

I'll start with two civs, Byzantium and Siam. With both you can afford to delay shrines and focus on getting Pyramids even if you decide to go Progress instead of Tradition & even on Deity. So I usually start Monument -> Pyramids.

As Byzantium I'm in no rush to found that quickly, which means I can be picky about my pantheon and I can focus a bit more on early expansion/defense. I'll take Way of the Pilgrimage as either my founding belief or my extra belief. What to take as your extra belief is a matter of discussion, but I find taking Apostolic tradition to be very effective, as your holy city can grow over 30 pop by the time you hit the Industrial era. I also use my 7th policy on the Fealty opener even if I'm not going the Fealty route, because the faith purchase discount makes the Pilgrimage tactic much more effective, plus Monastery is a very good building. As Byzantium, getting Borobodur makes the game a whole lot easier, so that's my next big goal (besides early survival and expansion). Usually that means I have to take Iconography (-1 to wonder policy requirements) to beat Egypt, Ethiopia, ...., from getting there first. After that, your goal is to maximize the amount of culture you'll get from spreading. That means you'll benefit the most from spreading against big AI cities (mostly tradition capitals) with the most followers of other religions. As for spreading to non-founders, unless you get there first (great for Apostolic tradition!), I recommend saving up for a Great prophet and spreading that way. After that, it's more or less being careful about having enough military to act as a deterrent and to protect yourself in case of a DoW and using your huge capital and extra social policies to steer you in the direction you want to.

As for Siam, my big early-game goal is to found. Unlike most other civs, I can consistently get a lot of help in doing that via religious city states. So it's imperative that you scout until you've met at least two. After that, use quests AND GIFTING WARRIORS to become&remain their allies until you've founded a religion. So that means that you delay Bronze working for quite a while, using Horsemen, Skirmishers and CBowmen for your military. You can also use the gifting warriors tactics on other city states, especially before you've built Scrivener's office, to help you with your early culture etc. I'd also recommend focusing on getting Roman forum as a big goal, because it'll help you a lot throughout the game, and I'd generally take Statecraft as Siam. With Siam it's enough to get a religion, even if it's 5th you should be ok as long as you've founded enough cities to give you enough production/supply to reasonably defend yourself.

That's the basic info on how I usually win reliably with those two civs. Looking forward to hearing your strategies for winning peacefully!

Ultimately winning peacefully cannot always be an assumed strategy, as it does depend on your setting. For example, if you get crowded out in the early game, than your going to have to do some kind of warring. That said, there are definitely scenarios where peace can win the day. In general, I look at this "passive aggressive" strategies. I find in general its about getting yields beyond the boundaries of your core cities.

1) Aggressive religious spreads. Focus on religions that give you bonuses for foreign cities, and focus on aggressive religious spreads. This can net you a lot of bonuses.

2) CS acquisition. CS bonuses can be very powerful once you have chanceries if you focus on a large scale acquisition of CSes. At a minimum, focus on friendships. While alliances can be difficult to maintain at times, friendships are trivial (and don't anger your neighbors as much).

3) War by Proxy. Paying other civs to do your dirty work for you is a great way to balance out other civs while keeping your hands clean.

4) Pillage Naval Wars. The most "offensive" of these options. Once you have caravels, you can get a few of them with Navigation I for the sight and speed. Use them to snipe at enemy fishing boats, and most importantly, enemy trade routes. Now if your playing defensive you won't have the navy necessary to beat there's, but you can play cat and mouse, avoiding their navy, while you snipe what you can. The gold you gain from those TR snipes can fund the other options above, with minimal risk to you assuming your TRs are more protective. This option only really works if your enemy is using a lot of water ETRs, and you focus more on land ETRs or ITRs.

Ultimately winning peacefully cannot always be an assumed strategy, as it does depend on your setting. For example, if you get crowded out in the early game, than your going to have to do some kind of warring.

You're just daring @CrazyG to take this up as a challenge lol. Something like:

Pangea, deity/standard/standard but with high water level to force crowding (or maybe standard size but 12 civs to force crowding). The player cannot declare war and cannot capture cities even if they get DoW'd. My guess is that he'd easily win that game- you would probably have to add other constraints. I might even give myself a 25% or so chance to win that.

Winning peacefully probably isn't always possible. Sometimes an AI just snowballs out of control, and your civ just can't keep up.
You're just daring @CrazyG to take this up as a challenge lol. Something like:
If people want to post a savegame they think is difficult, I'll happily try a challenge when I have time.

A couple of comments:
- as Byzantium, as long as you intend to spread, it's better to not be the last to found. That will make one less religion to compete with!
And founding early gets you the benefits of your uber-religion earlier (if you for instance go for the Enhancer that gives +10 c/f...).

- Siam is quite easy if you get a few CS around and no warmonger neighbour: they are the earliest snowballers in my opinion. Meet a Cultural CS and you get your 1st policy ahead of everyone else, same for Science and Religion... I would generally go Tradition with them, and start amassing wonders, but Progress is certainly viable.
(I haven't played them recently, so I don't know how the Settler changes impact them... but it should still be valid.)

But in any case try to aim for a specific victory condition and build up to it. You won't pick the same Beliefs as Byzantium if you aim for Diplo vs Cultural vs Science...

I've had wins where I never was involved in a war, and didn't proxy a war. But as Stalker0 said, it's not always possible. OTOH, why not have it as an "assumed strategy" ... until proven otherwise, if that's your inclination?

If you develop the cities, esp with culture and science, you will attract city-states "is in awe" boosting your reputation repeatedly over the game, bringing you close to a Diplo victory, or at least able to move the World Congress by controlling a majority of votes: making your religion and ideology "official" for the whole world.

As for shrines, I find it useful to build one before the first Wonder that I attempt. The Pantheon gives a boost to construction: either go for the one that gives 15% bonus for Ancient Wonders, or try God-King. I prefer the latter now because if your hammers are only 7, adding 1 gives you a 14% boost anyway, plus the Faith and other boosts.

Also, fight tooth and claw to stop Embargo City States if someone proposes it for a vote.

If your hammers are only 7 by the time you found a pantheon, you're doing something wrong.

as was mentioned above, I do the opposite with Byzantium. Focus on faith exclusively and try to found as fast as possible, and then immediately spread as much as I can. From there, it doesn't matter where I was on tech before. The religion bonuses will shoot me up to renaissance very quickly.

To be fair nothing has really changed. Peaceful play is still harder but still possible. I don't think it is possible to have setting where winning is impossible.

Top Bottom