1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] 160x130 Europe map.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Pre-made Maps' started by Jabarto, May 3, 2009.

1. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

Any update on the newer version of the map?

2. CheeseWalrus

CheeseWalrus Warlord

Could you separate Hiiumaa and Saaremaa from the Estonian mainland? :)

3. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

Sorry I missed this - as noted, I extended the map boundaries a bit, but I stil have to fill in the features (resources, rivers, etc).

And I'll see to getting Estonia fixed up. :)

4. Ronb65

Ronb65 Chieftain

I don't know if anyone can help or advise me with this problem, but every time I try to start this game, for some reason there is no interface and nothing I have tried will make it appear. Even when I try running a 'normal' game under this mod there is no interface. All the other mods I've loaded work fine and I am fully up to date with patches. The only other time I had a similar problem was with the War in the Pacific when reloading and that was just slow loading.

5. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

That's a RevDCM issue. I don't know what causes it but this uses a pretty old version of that mod so it might have been fixed for all I know.

Also someone sent me a PM earlier asking if they could use one of my maps (not this one) in a project of theirs. So just in case anyone was wondering, anyone is welcome to use or modify any map of mine as they please as long as my name stays in the map description (if you modfy the map you can add your own name, of course; just make sure mine stays in too). EDIT: Oh, and while it's certianly not required, I like being given a link to the project you're using it for.

6. Ronb65

Ronb65 Chieftain

Sorted. Re-downloaded and found the initial installation hadn't loaded the interface files. Now all OK.

7. SCA

SCA Chieftain

Hello. Your creation is fairly nice, and I must say I am impressed.

You may consider adding far more forests to Scandinavia and central Europe. The clearings that exist today west of Hungary are largely cultivated, except on the Spanish highland. In prehistoric times, it is entirely reasonable to assume the Civ-like development in the way we play it, would be hindered by dense amounts of forests. This allows the civilizations to not expand too quickly, and end each other in war too soon. Hopefully. :nuke:

Also, if Vikings have all of Scandinavia, they might become a fairly well hung faction. The kingdom of Sweden (always attacking Denmark) has played a far greater part in European history than Bavaria. I suggest you consider adding a Swedish faction instead, and placing this near modern day Stockholm.

8. Outrespective

Outrespective Chieftain

I'm getting 404 not found when I go to download this which is a huge shame as it looks great, any chance of re-uploading this elsewhere?

9. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

I'll reupload it tomorrow. :)

Some of you may know, from looking at my other thread, that I'm coming back to my maps in the hopes of finishing them. But to be honest, I was never totally happy with this one. So, to put it simply, I may make another huge Europe map that's more to my liking, but even if not, it's unlikely that I'll find the will to update this one again. In any case, though, I'll leave the download link up for those who want it.

If anyone wants to do anything with this map, they have my permission.

10. Outrespective

Outrespective Chieftain

Thank you!!!

I know an artist is his own largest critic, but personally out of all the maps I have viewed and downloaded, this one interests me the most, especially because of the civs and location and general attention to detail already given to the map.

Eagerly awaiting it being re-uploaded, best of luck with your other endeavours!

11. NiRv4n4

NiRv4n4 King

Yeah I have to say that this map is quite good. Personally, I would have made it go further north and east, whilst keeping the same size. Would lose some detail, but the tip of the black sea thing with a 1 tile wide bridge is rather odd. Britain, Western, and Central Europe are great here. Hopefully you can make some great maps for CIV5 when that comes out.

12. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

Thanks you guys. :) Since Civ4 maps will be convertable to Civ 5's format, you can expect to see some of these maps making a comeback.

Now then, I have a plan that I intend to go through with by tonight. What I'm going to do is create a very simple mod to house all of my giant maps. It will be exactly like vanilla BTS but for two things; it will have a 50 civs .dll, in case people want to edit the maps to have more civs, and it will have a few new worldsizes to accomodate the sheer size of the maps. What this means for gameplay is that the gameplay will slow down a bit, as it should with a larger map. Technologies will be acquired a little slower, city maintenace will be a little higher, etc.

When I'm done, I'll post a new thread and reupload all of my maps to at least two different hosts, as well as describe my plans for the moment (I've figured out how to use the .bmp to .wbs utility, and will be making a few more maps with it).

EDIT: ALmost forgot, the mod will also increase road movement and ship speed.

13. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

I do hope that ist true, but how will that work? It won't be easy to convert a normal grid map into a hex grid map, right?

Maybe there will be kind of a scan-and-reproduce-map-editor for that?

14. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

I'm not sure if they've explained how it will work. But they did announce that it will be possible a while back.

15. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

Did anyone ever bother to make this map available for RoM or even RoM-AND?

I'd love to have
    - cart paths/roads/paved roads
    - genarals from fighting barbs (+barbs getting GG themselves)
    - huge set of naval units

etc.

What happened to the plans to add more civs to this great map?

Or has converting it to CIV V stopped work on CIV IV maps?

16. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

Hi Jabarto,
    what is the newest version available anyway?
    The download from the first post gives me a download from 2009.
    Is that the latest version?

btw: great work on this awesome map!!!

17. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

Yeah. This was my very first map, and I was never satisfied with it, so I stopped updating it a long time ago. I'm glad you like it, though. :)

18. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

It seems that I'm just too stupid...

Is there an easy way to open up the possibility to choose extra players when starting up the scenario?

The screen just says "closed" for team 17 with no option to change that. Everything above 16 seem to be reserved for barbcivs etc.

19. Jabarto

Jabarto Emperor

You can't do that unless you remove the preset civs first; there's a program called the WBS Cleaner in the utilities forum here on CivFanatics that can do that for you. Then you can add players normally in the startup screen.

If you have trouble cleaning the map, let me know and I can upload a copy with no preset civs.

20. derflensburger

derflensburger Chieftain

Hi Jabarto,
    thanks a lot for your offer.
    Something is going wrong with the WBS-Cleaner for me, I guess. It doesn't seem to change anything.

I would be most greatful, if you could upload a clean map.

Thank you very much in advance!