Wonder Poll: Mausoleum of Mausollos in Olympus

When Should We Build the Mausoleum in Olympus?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donovan Zoi

The Return
Sponsored by the President of Fanatikos

When should we build the Mausoleum of Mausollos in Olympus?

Options
1. Right now!
2. Build Library First
3. Build 2 Workers First
4. Build Library and 2 Workers First
5. Do Not Build This Wonder
6. Abstain

Relevant Discussion

IMPORTANT: This is a Spectrum Poll, where the options are displayed in order of favorability of the proposal in question, from most favorable to least favorable.

For the purposes of this poll, Options 2 & 3 are of similar favorability and will therefore have results combined for the purposes of the determining the spectrum. Should Options 2/3 (combined) be the spectrum winner, then the option with the most votes between the two shall be declared the poll winner.

Note: As a member of the Polling Standards Commission, I apologize for any confusion that may stem from this type of poll. However, I feel that it is the only way to clarify the true results. If you feel you are overwhelmed by the choices, then just vote your true feelings. That's what we are looking for anyway.

I will try to keep a running commentary as this poll unfolds so all citizens can have an idea how a Spectrum Poll works.

Note: This poll will be open for 72 hours and is public. Since this poll will still be open at the start of Saturday's game session, results for this poll should be logged at that time.

We should not waste our time building an expensive temple. A library can produce more culture and has the ability to pump out science.

As your President, I feel that it is very important that we follow my original plans for the time being (Library and at least 2 workers). In the interest of building a solid foundation quickly, I feel that the Library and (at least) two workers from Olympus are non-negotiable.

Two things to consider before you vote:

1. Another benefit to drafting workers from Olympus is population control. If we lock ourselves into 30+ turns of Wonder building, we will have no way to stop the growth unless we force a loss in production or commerce as well. An entertainer may then need to be drafted to maintain happiness, and a few more years would be added to the initial time estimate as a result.

2. Building Libraries now will increase our chances of completing research of our next few techs before they are discovered by the AI. It is a worthy goal, especially when we begin research on Republic. The more turns we shave off the Republic, the sooner we can enter an enlightened age.

As much respect as I have for the work of Mr. Mausollos, I am truly disheartened by the fact that we cannot afford to pay him proper tribute at this time. But if Fanatikos is to thrive, then we must vote with our heads and not our hearts. Otherwise this noble gesture could set back development of our nation for ages to come.

Of course we can afford to build this wonder! Our neighbors are busy killing each other, and we are defended by strong hoplites. Workers can be produced elsewhere, and one library less is not going to kill us. In contrast to all that stuff, a wonder can only be completed if we start on time. Let's show some respect to the dear Mausollos and construct this great monument right now!

To refute some of the presidents arguments:
1. population control? We have only 5 cities, so they'd better be big. The purpose of building workers is to do work, not to lower population. With the happiness of the Mausoleum, much less population control will be needed in the future. Temporarily we can use lux tax. Those extra citizens in Olympus will pay for themselves.

2. we are almost certain to finish CoL and Republic before the AI. They like to do Construction and Map Making and the like. Actually it would be better if the AI could outpace us to republic (meaning that we can do 0 science and wait for the GLib), but they cannot :sad:.

EDIT: question: how will the result of this poll be interpreted? What is a spectrum poll, is that in the law somewhere?

EVERYTHING IS NEGOTIABLE, and nothing is ludicrous.
Going for two workers and then Mausolleum is the best way to win this, I would personally call for three workers more, but library is not yet needed.

NOTE: After further inspection of the save, I think it would be best if no one votes for the "Build 2 Workers First" option. With the Priapos settler due from Olympus next turn, following that with two workers would be almost impossible -- and if not, downright foolish. Olympus will be Size 2 next turn, but should rebound quickly.

I certainly do not want to seem hostile to this plan, but the city of Olympus gives us much versatility without this wonder in the queue. What if we do find ourselves dragged into the war that surrounds us, and we are only midway through this build? We will not be able to respond adequately to any threats.

One thing I do like about the Mausoluem is that is grants us 3 content citizens on Olympus for life. In fairness to this proposal, I feel that I should be laying out the entire argument for the people.

So many things we need from our capital, so little time. Please make an informed decision, people of Fanatikos.

Donovan Zoi said:
What if we do find ourselves dragged into the war that surrounds us, and we are only midway through this build? We will not be able to respond adequately to any threats.

We have scary hoplites. Olympus is not one of our barracks towns.

Citizens of Fanatikos,

After much pondering on what to do, I decided to vote for building the Library and the workers first. Fanatikos needs more pioneers to cut the trees and irrigate the farms, and Olympus is the most fertile spot of our glorious empire. The Library, besides improving our science, will increase the cultural status of our city. The MoM will follow them later, but it is still a great priority.

Sincerely,

Governor Civlord

Build the library and 2 workers first, then clean up with MoM. In my experience, the AI don't go for MoM very aggressively, so we should get it fairly easily.

I say, 2-3 workers, then mausoleum. The library production time is likely to give population growth and unhappiness problems, but the library freaks do not see the dilemma. Library and Maussoleum in succession is a poor plan.

Provolution said:
I say, 2-3 workers, then mausoleum.

As I have said before: if we do that, we will be building the Mausoleum from a Size 1 city.

DaveShack said:
If we build it, we should build it as soon as possible. Half measures are the road to ruin.

Well said, Dave. Except I would use your phrasing to defend our current development plan. If we veer away from our initial goal to chase this wonder, it will seriously stunt our growth.

I will keep an eye on our development of the next game session or two. My hope is that we will still be able to build it. In the meantime, I will order the immediate burial of Mr. Mausollos in a location that can be easily upgraded and enhanced.

What are its' traits? We need to be careful not to trigger a despotic golden age.

Provolution said:
library freaks .

tsk tsk - one who complains about insults should not insult others.

And this library freak quite stands by his decision rejecting the ideas put forth by the religous right-wingers.

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
tsk tsk - one who complains about insults should not insult others.

And this library freak quite stands by his decision rejecting the ideas put forth by the religous right-wingers.

-- Ravensfire

LOL, that is more in character of the game :D I like in-character "insults", spices up the game. haha "tsk tsk" sounds so sordid, real liberal campus renegade there hahaha. Religious rightwinger? Haha, no just want some proper monument over some deceased citizen from the elite, Mr. Maus something.

Donovan Zoi said:
As I have said before: if we do that, we will be building the Mausoleum from a Size 1 city.

Well said, Dave. Except I would use your phrasing to defend our current development plan. If we veer away from our initial goal to chase this wonder, it will seriously stunt our growth.

I will keep an eye on our development of the next game session or two. My hope is that we will still be able to build it. In the meantime, I will order the immediate burial of Mr. Mausollos in a location that can be easily upgraded and enhanced.

I rather build a couple military units or temple to increase the potential size of the city. I want our cities to grow, and for that to happen, we need more happiness.

Citizens of Fanatikos,

Clearly we have an advantage over the AI to build the MoM. If they still don't have Philosophy, we can delay the building of the MoM and start pumping out workers. That's why we should wait a few more turns to start building this wonder.

Governor Civlord

If we're going to build this wonder (and as I write this 80% of our citizens have voted to build the wonder either immediately or in the future), we should get started on it ASAP. Even if we intend not to trade Philosophy, more than likely one of our friendly neighbors will demand it before too long; and we'll no doubt cave and give it to him (and cave we should at the moment). If we want to be successful in building this we need to get started on it ASAP.

Top Bottom