[Wonders] Tech OR Policy, but more specific

I also recognize that the current unlock system is indeed a problem since I experience Wonder after Wonder being built a few turns apart. It's practically impossible to be competitive with Wonders.

Maybe the number of needed policies was simply too low?

The current number obviously caused most wonders to be unlocked by policies, not technologies - It made tech unlocks obsolete. Increasing the number of policies might solve all the issues.

Ideally, the tech leaders should still have an excellent chance to unlock wonders first. The culture unlock should be an alternative for those cases when a player is culture leader but relatively low on techs.

The wonders where also distributed suboptimally among policy numbers. Some unlocked 5wonders, others none. Ideally, a policy should always unlock the next 2 wonders.

Up to the Industrial Era, the number of required SP's is equal to Column number + Era number of required tech, with only 2 exceptions (Stonehenge and Neuchswanstein). So for example, Great Library unlocks at Writing. Writing is in column 3 and era 2 so it requires 5 policies.

This isn't low at all. You've almost completed an entire policy branch by then. I don't think the number of required policies is too low. Rather, policies might be a bit too easy to acquire, even for non-culture players.

The way SP's are currently designed, completing an Ancient tree unlocks the Medieval trees, but this is supposed to be an alternative method of unlocking them. The main method should still be by entering the Medieval era. However, I cannot recall the last time I entered the Medieval era before completing an Ancient tree. (I'm not saying my experience is representative of everyone's experience. Just that I really can't recall the last time. It may have been last week but I didn't take note of it. :D)

My problem with this system is that it considers all policies, so any amount of policies from any tree gives you any wonder.

It would be much more interesting if trees required a combination of policies from specific trees. So one wonder would require like "5 Tradition", another "5 Progress", another "3 Progress, 2 Authority", "2 Theocracy, 2 Aesthetics", etc etc. This would encourage different policy combinations and playstyles.

(Note, tech unlocks would still be the same - I'm talking about an "AND" system here)

EDIT: Just realized the OP suggested the same thing. Consider this a "+1" to that idea.

My problem with this system is that it considers all policies, so any amount of policies from any tree gives you any wonder.

It would be much more interesting if trees required a combination of policies from specific trees. So one wonder would require like "5 Tradition", another "5 Progress", another "3 Progress, 2 Authority", "2 Theocracy, 2 Aesthetics", etc etc. This would encourage different policy combinations and playstyles.

(Note, tech unlocks would still be the same - I'm talking about an "AND" system here)

EDIT: Just realized the OP suggested the same thing. Consider this a "+1" to that idea.

It's just not gonna happen (see my response) because of AI training. It's a human-favored system.

G

Slater, forgot about the river. :)

Been there done that. I've almost written a bug-report on it twice actually. "Slater mill seems to be bugged in this version, I can't build it in my capital for some reason" :D.

It is kinda weird that Slater mill is the only river-only wonder, I feel like rivers are important enough historically that more things should depend upon them.

By the way, technically Machu picchu and Neuschwanstein are both terrain-dependent as well

Been there done that. I've almost written a bug-report on it twice actually. "Slater mill seems to be bugged in this version, I can't build it in my capital for some reason" :D.

It is kinda weird that Slater mill is the only river-only wonder, I feel like rivers are important enough historically that more things should depend upon them.

By the way, technically Machu picchu and Neuschwanstein are both terrain-dependent as well

True, so 4 terrain total. Anyways, what my post was getting at is that there are actually a crap ton of 'soft-locked' wonders already in the game. Adding the basic, universal 'x policies' offers some nuance without obfuscating things into oblivion.

G

True, so 4 terrain total. Anyways, what my post was getting at is that there are actually a crap ton of 'soft-locked' wonders already in the game. Adding the basic, universal 'x policies' offers some nuance without obfuscating things into oblivion.

Hey, I totally agree with you, I just needed some attention :D

Top Bottom