Woodsman III & Medics

in outher words it is better to promote the great general unit to strength 1, woodsman 1, 2, 3 and medic 1. with barracks this unit will be one experiance point away from medic 2 making him better than a medic three unit overal. good reading. thanx.

and with the jaguar i can only say wow. free strength 1 and woodsman 1 thats an uber healer for shure

Damn, now I regret some promotions I've picked. I wish there was a "reset promotions"/"unpromote" feature.

That would be pretty crazy powerful, unless it cost a lot of money to do or something.

Well, an "oops" button that rolls back your promotions when selecting them would be great, but I think rolling back promotions many turns later might be a bit too powerful. Then again, I tend to select the wrong promotion when a new button pops up after I select the previous promotion and the wrong button is where I'm clicking the mouse.

"Nooooooooooo.... I didn't want Shock!"

I've done that too, it's really bad when you give shock or cover to a tank or something.

I'm not sure if it is a new feature in BtS 3.17, but protective gunpowder units start with Medic I available, so you only need four promotions (17XP) to add three Woodsman and one Medic upgrade. This should be easily doable for a serious protective war-monger :)

Good catch. This is because the Drill line can take the place of the Combat line in some cases, this one in particular.

I'm not sure if it is a new feature in BtS 3.17, but protective gunpowder units start with Medic I available, so you only need four promotions (17XP) to add three Woodsman and one Medic upgrade. This should be easily doable for a serious protective war-monger :)

I'm pretty sure it's a new feature to BTS 3.17. Drill-line now allows the same extra promotions in the same positions as Combat-line (i.e. Drill II allows the same promotions as Combat II) with the exception of Amphibious, March (only Drill I + Medic I, not Drill III), Sentry, Blitz and Commando, which can't be gotten through the Drill-line.

This is a really interesting possiblity, especially if playing as Churchill (only 13XP needed for Woodsman III + Medic I + Drill I + City Garrison I).

I think any leader can get a medic 3 + woodsman 3 explorer pretty easily, but it requires two great generals. Explorers are able to promote to woodsman III, correct?

You just have to get a scout to 7 exp in the early game, which is not impossible (five animal wins + one warrior win, I believe). Give the scout combat 1 plus medic I, upgrade him to explorer for woodsman I for free.

Attach the great general and the explorer has 27 exp (three promotions). Then have the explorer stand in the square while another great general attaches to another unit, and you have 37 exp. I believe that's enough to get the final four promotions, e.g. medic II, medic III, woodsman II, and woodsman III.

Alas, WoodsIII not avail to scouts/explorers. They would sure make great (and cheap) utility healers though!

- if the Medic and Woodsman III promotions are on the same unit they do stack up;

a Medic III, Woodsman III unit has the best healing rate you can get

which is why I love to get a warrior to woods III, then attach a general...... while it is expensive, the healing potential is enormous!

I'm pretty sure it's a new feature to BTS 3.17. Drill-line now allows the same extra promotions in the same positions as Combat-line (i.e. Drill II allows the same promotions as Combat II) with the exception of Amphibious, March (only Drill I + Medic I, not Drill III), Sentry, Blitz and Commando, which can't be gotten through the Drill-line.

This is a really interesting possiblity, especially if playing as Churchill (only 13XP needed for Woodsman III + Medic I + Drill I + City Garrison I).

In BtS the Drill 1 promotion, available with Protective, does allows several promotions such as shock and cover that previously required combat. But this does not extend to all the promotions where combat was previously required as a prerequisite, and the the medic promotion is one of these exceptions, at least in the 3.13 patch. Has the 3.17 patch changed this?

In general Aggressive leaders need 17 exp to get woodsmen 3 and medic1 and have healers that give 25% healing for their stack, and Boudica only need 13 exp as she's also Charismatic. Monte's jaguar is special in that he needs only 10 exp due to the free woodsman 1 as well as combat.

As these special healers are relatively easy to get I'm beginning to re-think using my GGs for medic 3 superhealers. The medic 2 area effect, which is a prerequisite of medic 3, is sometimes useful but only on odd occassions, otherwise the woodsman 3 medic1 unit has the same +25% healing to the stack as a medic 3 GG. So if we're Aggressive and can make several of these units we can settle the GGs and not make medic 3 superhealers. Only if I made the GG a woodsman3, medic 3 would it be better (+40% own stack healing) and that's a lot harder to acheive without risking the healer in combat.

Edited: to correct mistaken impression that Protective opened up the medic promotion like Combat does.

Hmm, I had the impression that no unit that is affected by the protective trait (archery and gunpowder units) can have Woodsman. If I'm right then being protective can't help you with getting a Woodsman III & Medic III unit, although getting a simple Medic III with them does indeed become easier.

You're absolutely right carl corey :blush: My bad. Drill does not lead to medic but combat does (at least for BtS up to patch 3.13), therefore Aggressive does allow for cheaper woodsman 3 medics (as I wrote) but Protective doesn't. I was (foolishly, not double checking first) extrapolating from the fact that drill does allow a Protective musket to get pinch and some other promotions that only combat normally opens up.

I need to edit my last post. :(

Hmm, I had the impression that no unit that is affected by the protective trait (archery and gunpowder units) can have Woodsman. If I'm right then being protective can't help you with getting a Woodsman III & Medic III unit, although getting a simple Medic III with them does indeed become easier.

You're absolutely right carl corey :blush: My bad. Drill does not lead to medic but combat does (at least for BtS up to patch 3.13), therefore Aggressive does allow for cheaper woodsman 3 medics (as I wrote) but Protective doesn't. I was (foolishly, not double checking first) extrapolating from the fact that drill does allow a Protective musket to get pinch and some other promotions that only combat normally opens up.

I need to edit my last post. :(

BTS 3.17 patch in fact changed this; now Drill I leads to Medic I too. Drill line still doesn't open all the promotions that Combat line does, the exceptions are Amphibious, March (only Drill I + Medic I, not Drill III), Sentry, Blitz and Commando.

This means that Protective leaders, as well as Aggressive leaders, can get Medic III + Woodsman III unit with less XP than those leaders who aren't Protective or Aggressive. So Churchill (Chm/Pro) can get City Garrison I + Drill I + Medic III + Woodsman III Redcoat (<- for example) with just 28 XP (and a Great General).

Gunpowder units definitey can get Woody promotions, in 3:17 at least. I use musket/rifle/infantry Woody 3, combat 1, medic 1 healers in most games. Like someone said above I tend to always settle GGs now because these promotions give good enough healing without medic 3.

Archery and gunpowder units (which are the units affected by protective) still can't get woodsman promotions. That's what I was talking about in my post.

Like LegionSteve said above, Gunpowder units can get Woodsman promotions, and this isn't for 3.17 only, the ability has been there since version 1.00 of CivIV.

Huh, must have missed it. I've never wanted to use it since there are usually not many forests left by the time gunpowder units roll out. Anyway, this means that protective will help with gunpowder woodsmen & super-medics. If I ever have the time I'll try to edit the first posts to reflect this. Thanks guys!

Top Bottom