• OpenSTEP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
If I recall right, it's:

"If anything can go wrong, it will"

or something similar to that.

Yeah, Linux may rule in that respect - crash-proof - but it's un-user friendly interface, complexity of dealing with Linux (have to download all programs), and the fact that it's incompatible with GAMES is a turnoff. Unless you don't play games and have a cable connection to download programs fast.

Linux is good for Programming Nerds and Servers. And that's about it. ;)

I remember CP/M.....it was pre-DOS...and widely considered the father of DOS..but it wasn't really the father of DOS ;) You'll have to read more on the history of the 2 to really understand the difference. Let's see if I can remember what it stood for.....

Computer Programming/Machine
NO
Command Prompt/Machine
NO

ARGH :mad:

Now I'll have to look it up!

Control Program for Microcomputers, Gonz.

Windows ME was the worst release ever by Microsoft.

I own/have used every version of Windows and MS DOS since the beginning.

Of the Microsoft lineup, here is my ranking of all their OSes. Starting with best and ending with worst.

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows NT
Windows 98 SE
Windows 98
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
MS Dos 4.0 and up
Windows ME

Why did I give these rankings? My judgement is based on experience ranging from: a)Ease of Use; b)How stable it is (or how often you get the Blue Screen of Death; c) Compatibility; d)versatility; and e)innovation

Windows ME introduced nothing new, and only proved to be the most unstable OS they released.

That really depends on what you use it for. Win95,98,and SE, were all better than win3.11, win for workgroups, and win NT if you aren't going to be networking. Of course, even if you are networking they're all better than 3.11(what's that even doing that high ;))

Of course, I guess 3.11 does score innovation points :)

Originally posted by Jeratain
Windows ME was the worst release ever by Microsoft.

I own/have used every version of Windows and MS DOS since the beginning.

Of the Microsoft lineup, here is my ranking of all their OSes. Starting with best and ending with worst.
I see you don't mention the earliest Windows releases.:) They were really bad, especially compared to the earlier Mac OSes. I do agree that Windows wasn't worth mentioning until 3.1 (or really, Win95), but let's not forget the REALLY bad old days of MS... Mac had the PC (GUI) world to lose, and they sure enough did. I do agree, WinME is the worst of the recent releases. I'm glad it had a very short life.

And in the great OS debate (Windows, Mac, Unix, other), I will always maintain that the best and worst OS depend on what you need to do. Use the best tool for the job, and everyone is happy - well, almost.

GK- Offices should use Windows 2000 Proffesional. Its the best for business related stuff.

Win ME is the worst OS. I've tried some Macs, some are ok, I just don't like Macs.

I've had a celeron pc with Win 98 for about 3 years now. I have a Win ME pc P3 866mhz, for 1.5 years and the ME has crashed so many more times! 98 crashes now alot too as the pc is old but the ME crashes are all wierd and you have to do 500 things to fix it. Can't just turn it off and then on and let it check the C Drive.

I think the best operating system ever was MS-DOS 5.

Why?

Cause it ran the first CIVILIZATION 4 DOS!.....

.....perfect, at speed, soundblaster sound and without ever, ever crashing!!

what more can you ask for? :goodjob:

For some cheerleaders :p ;)
Well, I appreciated MS DOS 6.22 more, since it also had useful functions such as memmaker, or undelete or deltree. Well memmaker was less efficient than QEMM though and I had already programmed in C++ a deltree program. But undelete did come in hand damn often. Actually, even nowadays, at work when I have to do some files/disk operations I always launch the console box and type dos command. That makes my colleagues laugh but well... it's unix habits too.

That's funny. My Win ME is pretty stable. The last time it crashed was about a month ago, when I had too many programs running at the same time.

Who says linux isnt for gaming? I play doom all the time in it!

The worst OS in the world is SYSTEM 8.1 Hell, any MAC OS sux.

I only say 8.1 cause our school imacs use it. Nice 13 inch scratched displays that the idiot tech people are always putting on 1024x786.

Top Bottom