worst place to live

whats the worst place to live in history?

• spain at the time of inquistion

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • nazi germany

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • soviet empire

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • cartaghe after being captured by the romans

Votes: 9 6.4%
  • during industrialization in london as a worker

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • as a black in 1950s usa

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • as a native american during colonisation of america

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • as an egyptian slave building pyramids

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • as a dinosaur just at the time that meteor crashed

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • any other...

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • never having lived is the worst ( i just love life, you know...)

Votes: 7 5.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Lord_all_Mighty

I thought it was the 3rd Punic war.

It was. Carthage was defeated, but it was completely razed in the 3rd. They had to rebuild it inland and there is the story about the salt thrown on the lands to prevent agriculture being succesful there.

The last option is very well put. It also contradicts the whole purpose of the poll and shows the poll is, well, I’m tired of euphemisms, stupid. Too bad, because the last option would have found its place in a poll with some common sense. Trying briefly to clarify my point. Let’s say the poll would have been titled something like : According to nowadays misconceptions and flimsy knowledge of history what are the places (assuming we can find them on the map) and periods (assuming we know, for instance, that 15th century means 1400 and something Anno Domini ( assuming again the mentioning of Christian religion won’t rise the wrath of vigilantes, etc. ) etc. ) we dislike. Thus the question becomes legit, not because the average attention span today is 30 seconds and it would be really impossible for such minds to grasp what 10 years interval could mean, let alone 100 or more years – these kind of people don’t read such forums but are representative for our times – but, even with a lot of good will and hard efforts we don’t know anything about what people (skipping over the dinosaurs joke) earlier in history felt about their own time or such knowledge is mandatory. Otherwise we are just facing another, minor and harmless, no doubt, useless (self-)interrogation (was that close to type inquisition) of the kind that rolls out in hordes from the mills of politically correctness. No offence intended, hopefully none will be taken.

The dinosaur's life would really suck, but as human, I picked Carthage after Rome captured it. It was policy in the Roman army for victorius legions to have their pick of the women and booty. The Punic Wars (Rome vs. Carthage) were fueled by a lot of hate, greed, and power.

IMHO, it was Carthage. They totally torched the place and then salted the earth.

Actually, the Inquisition was about 1/100th as bad as people claim it to be. It was still stupid, and bad at that, but not nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

Not only that, in Nazi Germany, I wouldn't fare that bad. I'd hate every day of it, but with the slightest bit of hair dye (almost blonde hair) I could pass off as an aryan. I'm a bit too short & my frame's a bit too wide, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Of course, if I went visibly Catholic on them, it would be death camps for me. :-( Not only that, if I joined them, I'd be excommunicated. So, I'd follow rule #1: keep your mouth shut! Important, since I can't speak German at all :|

Soviet Russia would be worse. I'm not a leftist. However, if I again followed rule #1, I'd keep my darn mouth shut and things would turn out well. Especially because I can't speak Russian!

As my brain would be roughly the size of a pea, I don't think I'd care about the dinosaur one. I'd probably be slightly fascinated, if at all possible, about the nice bright light before I was instantly and painlessly annihilated.

just a few notes:

the egyptian pyramid builders wern't slaves. they were not the property of the government/monarchy. i believe they were paid in food for their services. and being a black in the Southern USA in the 50's was a whole lot different than it was to be a Northern black. and i believe that the 1950's wasn't the worste time to be black in the USA.

"the egyptian pyramid builders wern't slaves. they were not the property of the government/monarchy. i believe they were paid in food for their services."

Uhh wouldn't that be slavery? You have to feed the workforce something to continue working.

I would have hated to live in Vietnam from the 30's to the 70's, when the Japs invaded they caused a famine, two million (I think) died, then the French came back after WWII, another war, then the French withdrew and the Americans came in instead and bombed it into oblivion.

I'd say in nan'jing 1937, when the japs captured it. 300,000 were murdered, officially there were only 101 survivors. They had killing contests and everything.

Top Bottom