Worst start I've ever had (MoO2)

IamI3rian

Chieftain
Ok, I just started getting back into this game. It's been a pretty long time since I've played it, and I figured I'd give DemoLith a try in SP on impossible. I've never had such a ridiculously bad start in a game. I've included all my saves up to the point where I'm really thinking about giving up.

I'm definitely gonna push through this one, but honestly I've never gotten a start so abysmally terrible. Here's my saves, load em up and tell me what you think. It's 1.31f if that matters at all.

Every time I thought I had a counter to the unspeakable cruelty of the map generator, it beat me back down again.

EDIT: The top save is the begining turn, if you wanna give it a shot. The rest go in descending order up to around 140ish if memory serves. Quite challenging game here.

Attachments

• Worst start ever.zip
    106.6 KB · Views: 99
It looks to be that the game is actually Hard level, not impossible. I looked at the traits of the other races and they did not have the number picks I would expect. I then started a new game that tends to use the setting of the last one loaded.

It was set to hard. I know it was not another game I had loaded or played as it also had random events on and I do not use that any more.

It looks to be that the game is actually Hard level, not impossible. I looked at the traits of the other races and they did not have the number picks I would expect. I then started a new game that tends to use the setting of the last one loaded.

It was set to hard. I know it was not another game I had loaded or played as it also had random events on and I do not use that any more.

You are correct sir. It was set to Hard not impossible. Either way I ended up pasting everyone. Took me forever to get Saiph though. I'm not real sure which are the monsters I can't beat. Turns out it was the dragons :). Also, I'll post my final saves when I get back from the store, but the psilons and klackons luck wasn't much better than mine.

I didn't finish the game, but the victory is clearly mine. Got to be a chore more than an enjoyment. I'm gonna try again on a smaller map when I get back.

Ok... I thought I posted but apparently I only previewed so here's the final saves. Feel free to comment on my technique, but remember that I gave up on micro about 20 turns ago :)

In particular I'd like your opinion on my main fleet's ship variety. They are moving on Jacob in the south west if I recall. I tried to seperate the beamers and the missile ships a bit, in case it got too hairy, I could retreat the missile ships.

Attachments

• Last Saves.zip
    140 KB · Views: 64
That does look like a lousy starting position, but you did quite well with it. It's been awhile since I played a regular game since I've been playing mods I created, so I cant really compare your ship designs with those I use. The mods I've been playing are substantially different from the stock game. The one thing I am curious about your ships is why you didn't upgrade them? It must have been frustrating trying to use beams with only a 25% computer and battle scanner.

That does look like a lousy starting position, but you did quite well with it. It's been awhile since I played a regular game since I've been playing mods I created, so I cant really compare your ship designs with those I use. The mods I've been playing are substantially different from the stock game. The one thing I am curious about your ships is why you didn't upgrade them? It must have been frustrating trying to use beams with only a 25% computer and battle scanner.

Honestly I didn't get the comps until 2 or 3 turns before the newer ships were built. Using the beams wasn't terrible, since I had class III shields compared to the class I the AI's were using. I was naturally able to hang longer in the fight. Also, the increased maneuverability of my ships allowed me to disperse the little damage I did take, on all 4 shields.

I would have upgraded them before the end of the game, were I inclined to finish it though, since they made a huge difference on the newer ships. Also, I didn't upgrade all my missiles either. Something about recalling the fleet might make me apprehensive I suppose.

I found the primary saving grace was that the bugs had crappy ships. When I took Kholdan from them (simple since they had no other systems down there) I had plenty of time to build it up. It's actually where I built the ships to take Saiph. Overall, I must say this was one of my most enjoyable games. I guess I hope to get more crappy starts :)

I found the primary saving grace was that the bugs had crappy ships. When I took Kholdan from them (simple since they had no other systems down there) I had plenty of time to build it up. It's actually where I built the ships to take Saiph. Overall, I must say this was one of my most enjoyable games. I guess I hope to get more crappy starts :)

I've found that a poor starting position isn't nearly as bad has playing an uncreative race and having a couple of the repulsive races as close neighbors. The lack of decent tech is what I find more difficult. In the mod I'm playing, the Kholdan have pop and prod advantages, but are uncreative. The time I played as them, they started in a good position and from early on I was leading in the numbers, except tech. That lack of tech really hurt and I ended up abandoning the game early after losing a couple of systems when my fleet proved unable to handle being attacked.

I've found that a poor starting position isn't nearly as bad has playing an uncreative race and having a couple of the repulsive races as close neighbors. The lack of decent tech is what I find more difficult. In the mod I'm playing, the Kholdan have pop and prod advantages, but are uncreative. The time I played as them, they started in a good position and from early on I was leading in the numbers, except tech. That lack of tech really hurt and I ended up abandoning the game early after losing a couple of systems when my fleet proved unable to handle being attacked.

I'm not sure that I've ever played uncreative in MoO2. If I did it was many many years ago. As for repulsive races, I tend to not use diplomacy in my games, unless it's a small galaxy. I'm presently playing a small with a unification, +1 prod, +1 sci, -20 ship defense (probably ground attack too) custom race. hard/small/average/prewarp.

I'd have lost many turns ago as uncreative, and if it wasn't for my good standing with the sakkra and humans. As it is I'm having trouble with the cats, and they've only got one system. That type of game you describe seems more a punishment to me :)

I wonder which mod you're using, and where to go about getting it?

It's a mod I've been working on. I went ahead and started a new thread about this mod with the changed files as a downloadable attachment to the first post.

Before, I never played uncreative races. Usually I used creative only, since I didn't like being limited in tech. But since I've been working on mods, I've been playing all types to see how the changes I made worked out. I still prefer playing with the creative trait.

Top Bottom