WOTM 43 - First Spoiler to 1AD

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff
WOTM 43 First Spoiler 1AD
How is your game going?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in WOTM 42, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
Please do not discuss anything that happened after 1 AD,
Please do not divulge your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD.
Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

Well not the best map I have ever played. :) Definitley a Great Lighthouse inspired one though. I sacrificed growth/settling cities in favour of the Glh which I eventually managed to build approx 1180BC. Also missed out on the circumnavigation which doesn't help. I sent workboats East and West and by the time I had open borders with the AI was stopped by an ice wall in both directions. There must be a route somewhere though as JC managed it. :sad:

So by 1AD I had 4 cities not much infra and things not looking great. Hindered a bit by the lack of happies though have settled an ivory island to the North and calendar will be a big boost as well.

Future plans?? Not sure as I can settle quite a few cities now with the Glh boost and might try a peaceful route or invest in military and take advantage of other cities settled for me. :)

Didn't manage a religion though shared Judaism with JC/Hannibal (founded by Brennus) for a while. Though to make the most of the trade routes will probably be better as a pagan.

Not sure if I will bother to finish this one, as the map, quite frankly, it horrible. No production, or happy anywhere nearby. No reasonable trading partner. No reasonable ewarly war target...Plus, this is my first time playing warlords in like 4 years, and I am now remembering why... I simply think it is the worst of the 3 versions of the game (and the buffy BTS interface has spoiled me as well.)

I did get the GL, and the circumnavigation bonus. I have about 10 cities (I didnt count), all pretty miserable. Research is still somewhere around Calender and Compus. I am mid pack in score and tech, as well as land and just about every other metric.

Definitely a toughish map. Of course also went for GLH. By 5AD only 5 cities, 3 on our island, 1 on the northern jumbo island and 1 due east on a wine with double fish and gold. Popped a GM around 500BC which was sent on a trade mission in Carthage. That's where tech pace went up so at least currency and calendar are in the bag, to greatly enhance economic output. Missed out on circumnavigation. Taoism fell really early and nearly all AIs are in a different religion. Haven't decided on VC yet, but hope to finish it one day.

6 cities, 13 pops. Ridiculous.
GLH is the only bright point. GM used for Currency bulbing. 3 different religious camps. At 5Ad it was though, later it was only harder.

Hmmm... that's the problem with untested random map... its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get.

Spoiler :
...so don't complain about it being tough, says the map-maker who gave you Humbaba. LOL

Well, thanks to kcd_swede for keeping us busy with another WOTM. Easy or hard, it is still the same map for everyone to play! :goodjob:

Can't argue with the ones who think it is tough. To make matters worse, I gambled by going for Oracle before GLH. Failed to get the latter (Shaka has gone wonder-crazy :crazyeye:), but did get MC from Oracle in 940BC.

MC was a good trade bait. Once a couple AI got Alpha for trade, I was able to crawl away from my miserable tech deficit. Also bulbed Theo with the GProphet for yet another trading round. Now I'm at tech parity with most of the AI, up to Monarchy/Currency/Calendar/CoL/Theo/Lit. Hannibal still has Music, Construction and HBR on me.

I have only 6 cities, most underdeveloped, but I just 2-pop whipped Colossus at the cut-off date for this spoiler. It looks like I have to tools to expand now, but a few AI have enough on their hands while my army consists of 4 warriors, so it is too early to tell if I'll be able to win this game.

I did get the GL, and the circumnavigation bonus. I have about 10 cities .
It can't be all bad then... :lol:

Got GLH and circumnavigation my self, only 6 cities. :p

Pop: 23
Sustain 55bpt and +7gpt at 50%

About at tech parity, got currency, monarchy, litt, compass (bulb) and mc shortly

Will beeline astro and :hammer:

I like the map :goodjob:

It can't be all bad then... :lol:

The capital itself is a fine site with good early food and production. Given how inept the AI is on water based maps, that is all that is required to acheive circumnavigation, GLH and 8-10 cities. The rest of the map is totally irrelevant to any of that. (In the case of circumnavigation, I guess one also needed to note the settings on the victory tab, and realize the implications thereof.)

Emporer, epic, water map: expected this to play alot easier despite tough start. I swear it feels like I am playing Deity in my game. Tried to beeline Mono, to help with GLH build but switched off after founding Hindu. Then tried to get to GLH as quickly as possible. Sent a workboat exploring and found JC and Hannibal pretty quickly. After getting what I needed for GLH I took a shot at the Oracle to try to get MC early and snag the Colossus. Oracle finished by HC before I could even get Priest! Still expected to have shot at Colossus, but HC beat me to it by a few turns. 3rd city in north planned for Oracle took a shot at Pyramids (really hoped to get Rep happiness). No dice. JC first to Alpha but wasn't willing to trade it. As others pick up Alpha, nobody willing to trade much. Of course, relations not great due to religion. Then, out of the blue, HC DOW and lands next to 3rd city with chariot and archer. Stupidly upgrade warrior to axe and promptly lose city. Upgrade warrior from 2nd city to axe and whip swords from 1 and 2 to try to get city back quickly. Axe loses his attack at better odds. Finally do get city back with swords, but serious damage is done. Meanwhile, get a trireme out of capital when HC brings in a trireme from the south and starts pillaging fishing boats. Plant trireme on fish to protect them and lose again at better odds. Now feeling very frustrated at how this game has gone. Maybe calendar will help get things going in right direction. Have only managed 5 cities so far, but did luck into the nav bonus with that exploring workboat. Any suggestions on how to proceed from here to save this thing would be appreciated.

Before going on, I have to state that I struggle with heavy water maps. All of the logistics required to move units around the map drive me crazy... ;)

At 1 AD, I have 6 cities (3 on mainland, 1 SW for copper/iron, 1 SE for rice/fish and 1 N for elephants). I also have 3 more settlers due out in the next few turns. I have decent infra (granary and LH in all but one city, 3 libraries). I have yet to pop a GP... :sad: My GS is due out in about 8 turns. That's pretty late for an Academy, so I bulbed him IIRC.

Like everyone, I went for the GLH, which I completed in 805 BC. I didn't try for any other ancient wonders. With such a poor hammer start, I decided to try to put hammers toward REX rather than wonders.

My research rate is 56:science:/turn sustainable (86:science:/turn max). I have all ancient techs plus Alphabet, Math, Literature, Calendar and IW.

All VCs are still open...

I did not settle in Place.
I did not reseach AH.
I did not find any fresh water for the Capital.
I did not build roads to connect my cities.
I did not want to farm spices.
I did not realize the map Only needed to be explored N-S.
I did not need to send 2 galleys N-S and EW.
I did not find Marble.
I did not find Stone.
I did not forget GW.
I did not forget The Oracle.
I did not forget The GLH.
I did not forget Ivory.
I did not find food for some of the cities.
I did not connect gold for a long time.
I did not like the Financial AI.
I did not like everyone had there own religion.
I did not like having to trade with Shaka.
I did not find CS to be as important as Calander.
I did not find all the tundra very appealing, and Damn it,
I did not claim Horses yet.

The plan:
I do not want to forget to build the HE.
I do not want to forget to build the NE.
I do not want to forget to build the FP somewhere.
I do not want to win Diplo.
I do not want to win Space.
I do not want to win time.

So what do I want to do?

The beginning and cities founded:
#1- Madrid (3970 BC) – 1 fish, 2 clams, 1 cow, 1 spice ==> 2 Work Boats / Worker / Settler
#2- Barcelona N (2020 BC) – 1 cow, 1 dye, 3 spices
#3- Seville N (1030 BC) – 2 spices
#4- Cordoba S (700 BC) – 2 clams, 1 copper

Technologies, Wonders and Great Persons:
- Agriculture / AH / Mining / The Wheel / Sailing / BW / Pottery / Masonry / Meditation / Priesthood / Writing / Alphabet...
- Stonehenge (1360 BC)

The game:
- This kind of map is very different to me :huh:
- Till now nobody declared against me
- No intencion. I don't know what to do to win this game :confused:

1 AD:
- 4 cities (all founded) / Pop 13
- Treasury 50 / 0gpt at 60%
- Alphabet (27 turns)

I did not...

<snip>

So what do I want to do?

WIN !!!

I went for GLH first, and then had a half hearted attempt at Oracle, got MC from it in 505BC :eek:

Colossus is almost finished.

8 cities, most of them crappy, but I expect Colossus to help things along a lot. What is really annoying is that I have yet to have a single religion in any city. All of my neighbours are have a Buddhist love in, but will it spread to me, no!

I think I will go for a diplo win. Hopefully by the end of the game I will catch a religion and share it.

Top Bottom