Would You Eat This Pt IX

Zardnaar

Deity
Unidentified fish from Fish and chip shop in NZ. Tartar sauce probably shark. Maybe hoki idk.

20230610_193215.jpg

If you want a specific species it generally costs more usually sole, blue Cod or hoki.

Cost was $3.80 potato dollars (NZD) around $2.30 USD approx. Scoop of chips (300-400 grams 3/4 of a pound approx) are $1.80 usd.

2 fish and chips are about $6 usd. Or you coukd swap the fish for a batteredhot dog, potato fritter, sausage, meat patty for something similar.

Sole $6 ($3.60 usd)
Blue Cod $9 ($5.40 usd).

Around $13 usd for blue cod (restaurants approx $16-$21).

Last edited:
Tbh, the presentation could have been a bit more appetizing ^^

My bad I just threw it on a plate lol.

Otherwise it comes wrapped up in a paper parcel. Cheapest take away presentation isn't usually worried about.

The fries look a bit lumpy, but I'd eat it.

I see nothing overly concerning from the picture.

You eat shark down there? We don't really have shark in the U.S. Midwest (they don't live in the Great Lakes). I don't think I've ever eaten shark, and I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to seafood. Octopus (not a fan), calamari, scallops, various types of fish, whale (only where it's legal, likely also a good candidate for a "would you eat this" thread), but I've never seen shark on a menu.

Is there a noticeable difference between shark, hoki, and cod? Up here, the tiers are usually pollock, haddock, and cod, from cheapest to most expensive. Sometimes flounder at the low end. Cod is the best, but there's not a major difference from haddock IMO. Pollock is okay, but not as dense as the other two. I had some excellent haddock from a fish-and-chips stand in Canada last year; the type of fish isn't everything and the preparation can make a big difference.

I'm also curious, it sounds like the type of fish can be omitted in New Zealand? In the States, that's required to be disclosed. Not sure when that legislation was passed, but apparently someone wasn't a fan of the generic "fish and chips" being potentially any type of fish. All in all I appreciate it. The top-tier item might be "fish and chips" but I can see on the description that my favorite fish-and-chips placed switched from cod to haddock last year. They kept the prices the same when everyone else was raising them though, and it's still quite good, so I can't really complain.

I see nothing overly concerning from the picture.

You eat shark down there? We don't really have shark in the U.S. Midwest (they don't live in the Great Lakes). I don't think I've ever eaten shark, and I'm fairly adventurous when it comes to seafood. Octopus (not a fan), calamari, scallops, various types of fish, whale (only where it's legal, likely also a good candidate for a "would you eat this" thread), but I've never seen shark on a menu.

Is there a noticeable difference between shark, hoki, and cod? Up here, the tiers are usually pollock, haddock, and cod, from cheapest to most expensive. Sometimes flounder at the low end. Cod is the best, but there's not a major difference from haddock IMO. Pollock is okay, but not as dense as the other two. I had some excellent haddock from a fish-and-chips stand in Canada last year; the type of fish isn't everything and the preparation can make a big difference.

I'm also curious, it sounds like the type of fish can be omitted in New Zealand? In the States, that's required to be disclosed. Not sure when that legislation was passed, but apparently someone wasn't a fan of the generic "fish and chips" being potentially any type of fish. All in all I appreciate it. The top-tier item might be "fish and chips" but I can see on the description that my favorite fish-and-chips placed switched from cod to haddock last year. They kept the prices the same when everyone else was raising them though, and it's still quite good, so I can't really complain.

I don't eat fish that often. I can usually identify blue cod.

I'm not convinced it's shark but idk what it was.

Here it's someething like fish, hoki, sole, bluecod in price with a rare few offering something else.

Sometime the generic fish is hoki (blue grenadier).

It's interesting that of those types of fish, the sole one I semi-commonly see on shelves in North America is sole, and it's not that common. Blue cod is apparently not related to the Atlantic cod that makes an appearance around here.

It goes to show that what's available locally still matters; fish is not an entirely globalized market.

It's interesting that of those types of fish, the sole one I semi-commonly see on shelves in North America is sole, and it's not that common. Blue cod is apparently not related to the Atlantic cod that makes an appearance around here.

It goes to show that what's available locally still matters; fish is not an entirely globalized market.

And I think our sole is a different species.

I'm not convinced it's shark but idk what it was.

For $6 ? Most likely Basa (from Vietnam)
The prices for food has gone up, saddly eating out even fish and chips is like $15 (not including sauce)

For $6 ? Most likely Basa (from Vietnam)
The prices for food has gone up, saddly eating out even fish and chips is like $15 (not including sauce)

Two fish and chips here is $6 usd. I doubt its imported from Vietnam.

20230620_175424.jpg

$12 usd

20230617_191740.jpg

$9 less than half serving.

Fried Wongtons with rice and chill sauce ?
I hate to say it but that is westernized chinese food but Iam also a fan often will order fried wontons at YumCha

Fried Wongtons with rice and chill sauce ?
I hate to say it but that is westernized chinese food but Iam also a fan often will order fried wontons at YumCha

Didn't order it because it's authentic;)

NZ fish end chip shops often do burgers and Chinese. Dinner for 2 was $12 usd. Cheapest slop here.

Top Bottom