1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you pay to help test Civ5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Janig, Mar 15, 2010.

?

Would you pay to help test Civ5?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. no

129 vote(s)
    72.5%
  1. EdCase

EdCase Defender of the Faithless

No. Beta testing is boring, repetitive and frustrating (if you do it correctly).

I'd say 9 out of 10 times I've alpha'd and beta'd over the years I didn't end up buying the product as I was burnt out on it.

2. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

Wow, you said it man. Also, we could pretty much count on hordes of people who mistake "beta" for "early access". Just imagine all the threads... "OMG! I paid $XX for this and its BROKEN!"

3. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Yep, post number 4 dude, post number 4.

4. Decimatus

Decimatus King

This isn't the "Reasonable Civvers" forum, this is the "Civ Fanatics" forum. :p

5. nzk13

nzk13 Some Jew-boy on Noble.

It depends on how much, $20-$30 is about as high as i would go.

6. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

No. I will buy the game for sure, paying to let me tell them what I think about it... No thanks.

7. Mathew952

Mathew952 Chieftain

If game testing didn't suck, then maybe. But just imagine that you had to play Civ V, in stupid bizarre ways, TRYING to make it crash and glitch with stupid combinations of things that someone somewhere might maybe do and then whine about, for 8 hours a day, 5 or 6 days a week, for 6 months. All while keeping studious notes about EXACTLY how you broke it each time.

8. Janig

Janig Prince

...or imagine that you were given the opportunity to help. Lets say you get assigned to playthrough, cuz lets be honest we cant depend on strangers to do demanding work for us. some of ur attitudes make me sick! god:cry:

9. StittsvilleJame

StittsvilleJame Warlord

Absolutely not. Because "Patience is the companion of wisdom.” - St. Augustine

10. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I'll pay to play but not to test.

11. Shurdus

Shurdus Am I Napoleon?

I lolled.

Testing does suck, and there will be people testing the game. Civ IV was tested by strangers and they did fine by my standards. So you may think of this as you will, I think it worked fine. Can and will trust these strangers to do my demanding work! :D

12. jimmywat

jimmywat Chieftain

Thanks for this very informative answer. It cures me from wanting to Beta test. However, what about the stress test? I would pay to stress test. I represent a richer, more enthusiastic group and would pay. It would also be a great mailing list for the company: Here is a list of all the people with money to burn who like your product. Putting on my greed hat, I might offer tiers, $500 for the earliest down to full price for the closest to full release. They could construct their own price/profit curve from proven data.

13. epicivfreak

epicivfreak Warlord

to the OP:
    I would "pay" to test civ5 if Firaxis said they'd let all those who pre-ordered the deluxe version to get in on the testing. That would be the only way.

14. paradigmx

paradigmx Say yes to Steam

Civ doesn't need to be stress tested, it's a primarily single player game and it's not putting much load on any servers, stress testing is done almost exclusively by MMOs

15. aziantuntija

aziantuntija Prince

I dont want to test any software, especially not some game that im supposed to enjoy in about 5 months, cause it would just ruin the experience for civ5 when its released.

If they pay me really well then i might test, but i most certainly wouldnt pay for it myself!