1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Would you pay to help test Civ5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Janig, Mar 15, 2010.

?

Would you pay to help test Civ5?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    27.5%
  2. no

129 vote(s)
    72.5%
  1. thungrim

thungrim Warlord

I figure I "tested" Civ3 for long enough. As soon as they fix that wreck, then we can talk about paying me to test Civ 5.

:p

2. Janig

Janig Prince

Ive had time to read this and its nice that our feedback is noticed! However there is little feedback we can give on Civ5 until we get to play it, and its Civ5 that this topic concerns.

colonelmustard the money would be an incentive but not reason to increase the playtesting base. No doubt it would be essential for professional testers to continue their work, only those who are prepared to pay could give something more.

I think a lot of guys in this topic have misconceptions about what games testing involves, you included thungrim

3. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

I paid to test Civ4... everyone who bought the game did! ;)

4. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Considering I have much of July and August free, I might be silly enough to do that. I'd like to feel like I contributed to the makings of what is sure to be an epic game.

I'm sure it wouldn't be exactly fun but I'd like the experience nonetheless.

5. LiDDiS

LiDDiS Warlord

No, but I'd beta test it if they paid me!

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^Pretty much my position ... hey , I will even do it for free ;) But i don't see the point of paying twice for a game ...

7. ArataWata11

ArataWata11 Chieftain

am so excited and really cant wait to play the new CiV but not to the point that am going to pay to have temporary glimpze of the civ. rather wait for the official release which is just a few months from now. . . so voted NO :cool:

8. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328765 - that Civ V thread was started to consolidate ideas from concluded discusions in other Civ V threads at the time- to make it easier for Firaxis to find when the time came. It had input from civ III diehards, not just IV fanatics. You can see some of my opinions in posts #3 and 5.

They read our input, and they experiment with it. I really appreciate it!:goodjob:

As long as the game doesn't become too tactical, I'm sure to love Civ V,too.

9. Sparthage

Sparthage Fighting Tyranny

I voted yes but I wouldn't be willing to pay any more than $20 for a test copy.

10. UKScud

UKScud Warlord

I paid up early to help test out Star Trek Online...

Whilst that didn't turn out to be too impressive a product...and probably won't be for some time (if it lasts that long) I did enjoy the experience.

One thing I did learn though is that for every person suited for product testing there are nine that aren't who try as they might, don't realize they are actually testing a product, and let negativity pour out.

11. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

Not everyone. Only the people who bought it before the third patch was out, including me :).
    Never again :mad:.

12. mjs0

mjs0 The 4th X

I would probably pay a small fee to participate.
    I have participated in and helped run several beta tests myself and I have always enjoyed the challenge.
    Besides, right now I'm highly motivated because my 9 year old just got picked (today!) to participate in the closed beta of the Lego Universe MMO, so I'm having issues with jealousy.
    :hmm::dubious::gripe:

13. Ramesses

Ramesses Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.

Apparently almost a third of the people here are NOT reasonable.

14. mattigus

mattigus Warlord

If anyone wants to know the kind of work game testing is, they should read this article.

http://www.seattleweekly.com/2007-0...-harder-than-an-afternoon-with-xbox-right.php

When you're testing a game, chances are your suggestions will be ignored. They only care about whether the game crashes or not. When you're testing a game, you can't just play the game to enjoy it, or even to evaluate and make suggestions about what will make it better. You have to do monotinous actions in the game in order to break it, then hand in a detailed account of the circumstances that caused the game to break, so the programmers can fix the problem. It's a job I wouldn't even want for minimum wage, much less actually pay money to do it.

15. mattigus

mattigus Warlord

I was expecting more than half of the people here to vote "yes," although not because I think everyone is unreasonable here (there are a few, though).

Most people have strange idyllic fantasies when it comes to game testing. Everyone hears that job and thinks it has to be the greatest thing in the world. But, the fact is that software testing is a horrible process, one that I have to do every once in a while in my job. If the software I had to test was a video game, it might be a little more interesting, but it would still be a colossal pain.

16. croxis

croxis Chat room op

It would actually be a great way to test the game on all different hardware and OS configurations, which is almost impossible to do in house.

17. Jamuka

Jamuka Warlord

I'm a game tester in real life and can fill you all in a bit. Tester jobs vary from fun and exciting to incredibly boring. You spend much of the time installing games, re-installing games, restarting computers, and getting blamed by developers. Then there's the 'try this 50 times and see if it stops working'. But despite all this, for every game, there comes a point when someone needs to actually play through the game as if they were a consumer who just bought it. That's the fun part, and fortunately, most of what I do.

But there are 2 parts about game testing I will warn you about.
    -No one cares about your opinion on game balance or features.
    -Testing a game often ruins the actual game for you when it is released. The 'illusion' that you are a gang member, pirate, soldier, or whatever, is totally broken because you saw the game in such an unfinished state. Because of this I wouldn't want to test Civ5 unless it was at least in beta.

18. Janig

Janig Prince

nice response jamuka but would you pay to (beta)test? youve totally missed the point! and thx for the heads up msj0, now I know what Im up against:borg: thx for the votes everyone

19. Jamuka

Jamuka Warlord

If it was an actual beta, which means that the bugs are almost all gone, and the testing is mostly for balance, and finding those last few bugs that can't be reproduced in-house.. Then yeah, I'd pay to play.

20. ThERat

ThERat Deity

Precisely what I was thinking. I remember Ginger Ale putting up this nice list of bugs we found...let me think...it started with health indicating before a battle what outcome there would be...stacks of units not being displayed properly...ah just check that list, it goes on and on.
    These days we players at civfanatics especially are the second wave of beta testers. And you guys want to pay for that and later buy the regular game again? :lol::crazyeye: Nuts