WW2 Unit Graphics

@Civoleon Chaco war mortars, cavalry and field artillery.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Chaco war Cv and Arty.png
    Tanelorn Chaco war Cv and Arty.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 759

@Civoleon Chaco war mortars, cavalry and field artillery.
Perfect! Now I can maybe start crafting a scenario with these graphics. I had that big thread about my Fall of France scenario (which I still want to complete), but the little Chaco War might be a more attainable target for me. Hard to resist with these good graphics.

Edit: Tanelorn, would you be able to add some heavy machine gunners too?

Last edited:
These have now had quite a few teaks and additions, so probably worth reposting again:

These look absolutely lovely!

I've got two questions,
- Is it okay to use these sprites for mods for games other than Civ2 (Credit will be given, of course)?
- Do 'generic' versions of these sprites exists (so without camouflage or national symbols on the vehicles themselves) and if so, where can I find them?

I've got two questions,
- Is it okay to use these sprites for mods for games other than Civ2 (Credit will be given, of course)?
- Do 'generic' versions of these sprites exists (so without camouflage or national symbols on the vehicles themselves) and if so, where can I find them?
you will have to hear from the original creator for the first questions' answer, but for "generic" units, just use Paint or another picture editing software to remove the flag shield graphics.

you will have to hear from the original creator for the first questions' answer, but for "generic" units, just use Paint or another picture editing software to remove the flag shield graphics.

Removing the flag shields isn't exactly what I'm looking for, though. On page 3 of the Overlord Playtest Thread, there are a few units in a very generic green, without any camouflage or symbols or anything. My question is if there are generic versions like that for more than just the units shown there.

@Darthrafael
You could start a thread where you outline your project and tell us what you want to do with the graphics.
Then the unit creators can decide if they are OK with you using their work.

Yeah, I can do that. Should I make the thread here in the Scenario League subforum (since I think this is where most creators hang out?) or is there somewhere else I should put it?

I've got two questions,

Thanks, and feel free to use any of them on any game you want, with the obvious provisos of not making money off it or taking credit for the work. I use them myself to mod other games like Strategic Command and Open General.

As for generic versions, I have many of the original non-cammo drawings but not all any more. Which in particular are you after?

Thanks, and feel free to use any of them on any game you want, with the obvious provisos of not making money off it or taking credit for the work. I use them myself to mod other games like Strategic Command and Open General.

As for generic versions, I have many of the original non-cammo drawings but not all any more. Which in particular are you after?

Thanks, and don't worry! I won't take any credit for any of the sprites, and I of course won't be making any money off of it.

Regarding the generic versions, I don't have an exact wishlist of "I want X, Y and Z", since I was hoping you'd have big sheets for everything but without camo, just like how you have it for things with camo. I can make a list of what I'd like to have if that's more convenient, though.

The project I'm working on is a mod for a Turn-based strategy game, and I want my mod to be WW2 in terms of tech level, but I don't want to exactly replicate nations, hence wanting camo-less versions of things. I'll happily go into more depth about it in a thread somewhere, but I'm not sure where would be appropriate to post it, since it's not for Civ2.

Thanks, and don't worry! I won't take any credit for any of the sprites, and I of course won't be making any money off of it.

Regarding the generic versions, I don't have an exact wishlist of "I want X, Y and Z", since I was hoping you'd have big sheets for everything but without camo, just like how you have it for things with camo. I can make a list of what I'd like to have if that's more convenient, though.

The project I'm working on is a mod for a Turn-based strategy game, and I want my mod to be WW2 in terms of tech level, but I don't want to exactly replicate nations, hence wanting camo-less versions of things. I'll happily go into more depth about it in a thread somewhere, but I'm not sure where would be appropriate to post it, since it's not for Civ2.

Understand. Best I can suggest is to use generic units like the Vickers export tanks from the minor Allies sheet or Skoda tanks like the px-35t and -38t which were used by multiple nations and are drawn without national markings.

Darthrafael, I think trying to create military board game icons for Civ 4 is a really good idea. Replacing the in my eyes very ugly Civ 4 units by flat icons could become a nice improvement for Civ 4. :) I am using some nice Civ 2 city icons in a Civ 3 WW II scenario, too.

Last edited:
Darthrafael, I think trying to create military board game icons for Civ 4 is a really good idea. Replacing the in my eyes very ugly Civ 4 units by flat icons could become a nice improvement for Civ 4. :) I am using some nice Civ 2 city icons in a Civ 3 WW II scenario, too.

That's actually a separate project of mine, something I've had some luck with but nothing truly spectacular. Might look into it some more soon.

~

I'll make a thread about what I'd like to use sprites from here on tomorrow, probably just in the Scenario League subforum since it seems somewhat fitting, even if it's not exactly Civ, so artists can tell me if they're okay with me using their sprites in it or not, and to maybe get some ideas for things if people are interested.

This sounds interesting. :)

@Fairline in your work for Open General have you drawn any 109s in a winter camo? I was looking through a few scenarios here as well as your unit collections and did not see one. If not, would you be willing to draw one up in Erich Hartmann's scheme? It is the 4th aircraft down on the top picture with a bit more detail given in some photos below it. I'd like to use it for Hinge of Fate as I'll be adding in a few aces. I'm just going to use the tropical 109 you already have for Marseille and you've drawn me a few aircraft in OTR that would work well for Galland, but I haven't been able to locate a winter-camo 109 for Hartmann. I figure this might be a good unit to have for Open General too, no?

I'd appreciate it if you're up for the challenge at some point :)

Spoiler :

upload_2022-2-18_9-26-6.png

Avro Shackleton maritime reconnaissance aircraft: 10,000 rivets flying in close formation. First flying in 1949, and with a design heritage that dates back to the 1939 Manchester bomber, the 'Old Grey Lady' soldiered on in an A.E.W. rôle until 1991.
shack.png

Repaint/kitbash of Fairline's Lancaster. I'm not very good at propeller dots, and the contra-rotators made it extra hard, but it could've gone worse I guess.

@Fairline in your work for Open General have you drawn any 109s in a winter camo? I was looking through a few scenarios here as well as your unit collections and did not see one. If not, would you be willing to draw one up in Erich Hartmann's scheme? It is the 4th aircraft down on the top picture with a bit more detail given in some photos below it. I'd like to use it for Hinge of Fate as I'll be adding in a few aces. I'm just going to use the tropical 109 you already have for Marseille and you've drawn me a few aircraft in OTR that would work well for Galland, but I haven't been able to locate a winter-camo 109 for Hartmann. I figure this might be a good unit to have for Open General too, no?

I'd appreciate it if you're up for the challenge at some point :)

Quick and dirty, and the black stripes on the nose are a bit of a mess.
109G hartmann winter.png

Top Bottom