WW2 Unit Graphics

If you guys are on a kick and having fun, some P-38 upgrades would be appreciated. Here are a few ideas (FG definitely preferred over the photo recon groups). 479th was 8th air force and the rest are 9th air force.

Spoiler :

1699194228141.png
1699194447518.png

I just feel bad when you build these beautiful units with no home
I know how this is. I come to thinking, "can I fit two IJA Air Arms air units with the same role and very similar introduction date from @Fairline's big collections of them together," or, "can I fit all three of these indigenous Auustralian WW2 aircraft that had very limited production and impact on the air war?" :p

You guys aren't wrong but I just feel bad when you build these beautiful units with no home so I try and find one for them lol. I suppose though that we're planning a BoB where I can use it eventually. Maybe I can rework it as the ECM aircraft rather than use the same Wellington art twice (three times, if you consider 205 Group Wellingtons, since the RAF's night bombers from the Mediterranean are featured now--doing a little research I see that a lot of SAAF, RCAF, and RAAF bombers were in this, so I think I'll rework the art for those with some I'm sure you guys have done in the Commonwealth Collection).

Well, the Hurricane wouldn't be very viable by 1943 beyond the one ground attack squadron they were still using in the region, but it's there. The problem with OTR is that having the RAF have an ace in a Spitfire is basically going to mean the ace has very little to do until after D-Day given the range. While I do have Johnnie Johnson as one of the four Allied "named" aces (along with Gabreski, Preddy, and John Braham), I thought a good way to balance the scenario would be to have the generic US Ace to be the "daylight" ace and then have the UK ace be the "night time" ace, since that element of the scenario is even more important now, and those aircraft at least have the range to really mix it up.

It's hard to ask for new night fighters when many of the RAF ones were simply black :) How much variation can you really make?

The 'ECM' ('ABC' in ww2 RAF-speak) aircraft were Lancasters I think, as were the 'window' (chaff) aircraft. What are the other two Wellingtons you have in your scenario, and I'll see if I can make up a different paint scheme? Currently I have a temperate night bomber scheme and a Coastal Command scheme available.

A nightfighter ace in your scenario timeframe should be sat in a Mossie. There were three different Mosquito NF nose shapes (II, XII and XIII/XIX/XXX); I've drawn 2 of these so I can draw the third to add some variety for an 'ace' unit. EDIT: here they are, together with the Lancester ECM/ABC (feel free to delete the rather quick and crap 'radio waves' :) ) and another variant for consideration - the Lancasters converted to deliver grand slam bombs with the front and top turrets deleted:

fairline raf NF mossie and Lanc variants.png

Last edited:
What are the other two Wellingtons you have in your scenario, and I'll see if I can make up a different paint scheme?

Well I'm just using the basic Wellington you have and I went and added an Australian flag to a different (more desert) colored one for Mediterranean air command. I also added the South African flag to the Beaufighter. I know the RAF had squadrons as well in the Med. but I figured this was a good way (within my capabilities) of having a difference.

The 3rd Wellington just has my attempt at an "ECM" symbol.

1699197261587.png

A nightfighter ace in your scenario timeframe should be sat in a Mossie. There were three different Mosquito NF nose shapes (II, XII and XIII/XIX/XXX); I've drawn 2 of these so I can draw the third to add some variety for an 'ace' unit.
That would be greatly appreciated!

If you guys are on a kick and having fun, some P-38 upgrades would be appreciated. Here are a few ideas (FG definitely preferred over the photo recon groups). 479th was 8th air force and the rest are 9th air force.

Couple of variations for the 479th and 370th FGs. Robin Old's aircraft is shown with plain green spinners but other pics of 479th aircraft have red spinners, so I've included both

fairline P-38s ETO.png

Well I'm just using the basic Wellington you have and I went and added an Australian flag to a different (more desert) colored one for Mediterranean air command. I also added the South African flag to the Beaufighter. I know the RAF had squadrons as well in the Med. but I figured this was a good way (within my capabilities) of having a difference.

The 3rd Wellington just has my attempt at an "ECM" symbol.

That would be greatly appreciated!

Don't know if this helps, but these are some examples of Wellington camo schemes in the Mediterranean theatre. First is standard bomber in desert camo, second is a torpedo bomber, third is Mk VIII ECM aircraft of 221 sqn Specal Duties Flight operating out of Malta and fourth is a coastal command aircraft operating in the Med.

EDIT: couple of tweaks

fairline Wimpies in the Med.png

Last edited:
Don't know if this helps, but these are some examples of Wellington camo schemes in the Mediterranean theatre. First is standard bomber in desert camo, second is a torpedo bomber, third is Mk VIII ECM aircraft of 221 sqn Specal Duties Flight operating out of Malta and fourth is a coastal command aircraft operating in the Med.

View attachment 676903
This works perfect! I'll throw an Aussie flag on the first one and call it Med Air Command Wellington and then use the third as the ECM bird (I'm not going to bother having each theater have one and it's not a big deal it's "from the Med" since those aircraft are in this scenario too). Very cool. Many thanks!

Hey, @Tanelorn, @Fairline, @typhoon353, or even @BonesRobert or other infantry makers, even though they were a bit player, and a Soviet puppet state (then again, so was Mongolia, and they're there), and even though most of their men under arms were fighting along with their Soviet comrades against Nazis far to the West (where they were nasty enough in small unit fights to earn the monicker, "black death," from German mid-level officers), leaving only a small, defensive militia at home, and since I have everyone else of minor note in the theatre in the represented for EotRS by at least an infantry and, sometimes, a cavalry, could someone whip me up a militia for the Tuva People's Republic. They were apparently even a playable civ in one of the Hearts of Iron games. :p Here's a picture I found of a bunch of their recruits in 1943, to give an idea as to uniform.

Tuva_Recruits_1943.jpg

@Patine. My attempt at the Tannu Tuvan or the Tuvan People's Revolutionary Army. Based on the limited photos and since both their equipment and gear was shared by the Soviets, it seemed fitting for them to look almost like the Red Army. Figures are based off of Fairline's units, modifying the pants/legs and changing the skin tone. For the cavalry, the rifle was changed to add more texture. I gave the officer a PPSh since it seemed fitting for that role, but that is out of speculation.

Tuvan People's Revolutionary Army:
BonesRobert WW2 Tuva TNRA.png

Attachments

• BonesRobert WW2 Tuva TNRA.png
    BonesRobert WW2 Tuva TNRA.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 23
@Patine. My attempt at the Tannu Tuvan or the Tuvan People's Revolutionary Army. Based on the limited photos and since both their equipment and gear was shared by the Soviets, it seemed fitting for them to look almost like the Red Army. Figures are based off of Fairline's units, modifying the pants/legs and changing the skin tone. For the cavalry, the rifle was changed to add more texture. I gave the officer a PPSh since it seemed fitting for that role, but that is out of speculation.

Tuvan People's Revolutionary Army:
View attachment 677088
Thanks-greatly!

Hello, where can I download these sprites? And another question, do you accept more requests?

Most of these are normal image files, so "download" is right-click "Save As..." ;)

Yeah I intentionally didn't include him. If you've ever been to Thailand you'd realise how ridiculous the use of cavalry would be; all it's borders are dense jungle and/or mountains. I think within weeks of crossing the border to invade Shan State all the cavalry horses had died from disease.

Yeah I intentionally didn't include him. If you've ever been to Thailand you'd realise how ridiculous the use of cavalry would be; all it's borders are dense jungle and/or mountains. I think within weeks of crossing the border to invade Shan State all the cavalry horses had died from disease.

Those poor horses. The second biggest species of casualties of the history of human warfare (after humans).

Actually, the Thai army fielded an entire cavalry division in their war against Britain and China in WW2. I found a couple of sources for this while doing research for Burma Campaign. The invading Thai army suffered badly from disease, and I assume the horses did as well, though I have no source on that specifically. Died they may have, exist they certainly did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phayap_Army

The source is in your post ;)

'The RTA also attempted to use both traditional horse cavalry and armor as a combined force. It was soon found that the horses were not suitable in the harsh jungle environment of the Shan state. Many of the animals succumbed to disease, as a result some cavalry units were withdrawn from the state. This left the Type 83 to maintain their infantry support duties alone'

Top Bottom