XML data files for Standard Civilizations (inc DLC)

The "magic" connection between workers and Improvements are Builds

An Improvement needs an associated Build, Builds are assigned to (worker) units

For the Terrace Farm (with secondary tables removed for clarity)
Code:
<GameData>
  <[B]Improvements[/B]>
    <Row>
      <Type>[B][COLOR="Red"]IMPROVEMENT_TERRACE_FARM[/COLOR][/B]</Type>
      <Description>TXT_KEY_IMPROVEMENT_TERRACE_FARM</Description>
      <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_TERRACE_FARM_TEXT</Civilopedia>
      <Help>TXT_KEY_CIV5_IMPROVEMENTS_TERRACE_FARM_HELP</Help>
      <ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_IMPROVEMENT_TERRACE_FARM</ArtDefineTag>
      <SpecificCivRequired>1</SpecificCivRequired>
      <CivilizationType>[B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CIVILIZATION_INCA[/COLOR][/B]</CivilizationType>
      <HillsMakesValid>1</HillsMakesValid>
      <PillageGold>18</PillageGold>
      <PortraitIndex>0</PortraitIndex>
      <IconAtlas>DLC02_TERRAIN_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
    </Row>
  </Improvements>

<[B]Builds[/B]>
    <Row>
      <Type>[B][COLOR="Magenta"]BUILD_TERRACE_FARM[/COLOR][/B]</Type>
      <PrereqTech>TECH_CONSTRUCTION</PrereqTech>
      <Time>700</Time>
      <ImprovementType>[B][COLOR="red"]IMPROVEMENT_TERRACE_FARM[/COLOR][/B]</ImprovementType>
      <Description>TXT_KEY_BUILD_TERRACE_FARM</Description>
      <Recommendation>TXT_KEY_BUILD_FOOD_REC</Recommendation>
      <EntityEvent>ENTITY_EVENT_IRRIGATE</EntityEvent>
      <HotKey>KB_E</HotKey>
      <OrderPriority>97</OrderPriority>
      <IconIndex>0</IconIndex>
      <IconAtlas>UNIT_ACTION_DLC02_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
    </Row>
  </Builds>

<[B]Unit_Builds[/B]>
    <Row>
      <UnitType>[B][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]UNIT_WORKER[/COLOR][/B]</UnitType>
      <BuildType>[B][COLOR="magenta"]BUILD_TERRACE_FARM[/COLOR][/B]</BuildType>
    </Row>
  </Unit_Builds>
</GameData>

I am having some issues getting the mod to work. I don't really understand where it is telling me to find the problems when I check the database and xml. The xml says something about missing an entry for barbarian horseman and the database I can't completely make out sense I am new to modding the game. Thank you very much for whatever help you can give me.

Attachments

• CIV5 Wales.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 240
  1. This
    Code:
    <Civilizations>
    	<Row>
    		<Type>[color="red"]CIVILIZATION_WALES[/color]</Type>
    does not match to anything else within the rest of the file for the civilization, for example:
    Code:
    <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
    	<Row>
    		<CivilizationType>[color="red"]CIVILIZATION_WELSH[/color]</CivilizationType>
    		<BuildingClassType>BUILDINGCLASS_AMPHITHEATER</BuildingClassType>
    		<BuildingType>BUILDING_EISTEDDFOD</BuildingType>
    	</Row>
    </Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
  2. This
    Code:
    <Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
    	<Row>
    		<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_WELSH</CivilizationType>
    		<BuildingClassType>[color="red"]BUILDINGCLASS_AMPHITHEATER[/color]</BuildingClassType>
    		<BuildingType>BUILDING_EISTEDDFOD</BuildingType>
    	</Row>
    </Civilization_BuildingClassOverrides>
    does not match to this
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Buildings>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>BUILDING_EISTEDDFOD</Type>
    			....many many snipped lines....
    			<BuildingClass>[color="red"]BUILDINGCLASS_OPERA_HOUSE[/color]</BuildingClass>
  3. This
    Code:
    <GameData>
    	<Units>
    		<Row>
    			<Type>[color="red"]UNIT_BABYLONIAN_BOWMAN[/color]</Type>
    			<Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_WELSH_BOWMAN</Description>
    • does not match
      Code:
      <Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
      	<Row>
      		<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_WELSH</CivilizationType>
      		<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_ARCHER</UnitClassType>
      		<UnitType>[color="red"]UNIT_WELSH_BOWMAN[/color]</UnitType>
      	</Row>
      </Civilization_UnitClassOverrides>
    • Causes the game to discard the entire file because the game already has a unit called "UNIT_BABYLONIAN_BOWMAN" and you cannot attempt to tell the game to add a unit it already has.
  4. We need the built version of a mod, as it is within the game's MODS folder, and not the entire ModBuddy project.
  5. The error message in the xml.log you are mentioning is a standard one everybody gets. You really need to follow-through and complete the whole tutorial William wrote on enabling logging. He tells you to run the game through a turn or two without your mod running so you can know which errors are occuring before your mod is even enabled.
  6. You should really probably post questions/help requests like this in the main C&C forum for Civ5 modding rather than appending it to a pre-existing thrtead. There is no guarantee anyone will ever see a message added to a tutorial post.

All I really want is to alter the trait of Harun Al-Rashid, I like him as he is other than his new traits in GAK...

This tutorial teaches to make a new Civilization and I am just figuring out how to make a new trait. Is there anyway you can guide me within a comment which steps to follow to "just" change the trait of an existing civilization to my desired one?

I want to insert both these traits into Harun Al-Rashid's trait.

" TRAIT_CAPITAL_BUILDINGS_CHEAPER " - Rome's trait.
" TRAIT_WAYFINDING " - Polynesia's trait.

Nevermind I figured it out.

Last edited:
I can't run the ModBuilder.jar. But i can run the ModTools.jar without problem.

Help.

Hi, I've done as you have described but the icon in the Congress is different from mine. Can you help me? File attached.

Attachments

• Mod.zip
    889.5 KB · Views: 275
From the G&K Expansion files
Code:
	<Civilizations>
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_AUSTRIA</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_AUSTRIA_DESC</Description>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_AUSTRIA_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_AUSTRIA_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<CivilopediaTag>TXT_KEY_CIV5_AUSTRIA</CivilopediaTag>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_AUSTRIA</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_ROME</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN</ArtStyleType>
			<ArtStyleSuffix>_EURO</ArtStyleSuffix>
			<ArtStylePrefix>EUROPEAN </ArtStylePrefix>
			<IconAtlas>EXPANSION_CIV_COLOR_ATLAS</IconAtlas>
			<AlphaIconAtlas>EXPANSION_CIV_ALPHA_ATLAS</AlphaIconAtlas>
From your Civilizations file
Code:
	<Civilizations>
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_CIV_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER_DESC</Description>
			<Civilopedia></Civilopedia>
			<CivilopediaTag>TXT_KEY_CIV5_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER</CivilopediaTag>
			<Strategy></Strategy>
			<Playable>1</Playable>
			<AIPlayable>1</AIPlayable>
			<ShortDescription>TXT_KEY_CIV_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER_SHORT_DESC</ShortDescription>
			<Adjective>TXT_KEY_CIV_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER_ADJECTIVE</Adjective>
			<DefaultPlayerColor>PLAYERCOLOR_LA_GILDA_DEI_WITCHER</DefaultPlayerColor>
			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_CIVILIZATION_ROME</ArtDefineTag>
			<ArtStyleType>ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN</ArtStyleType>
			<ArtStyleSuffix>_EURO</ArtStyleSuffix>
			<ArtStylePrefix>EUROPEAN</ArtStylePrefix>
			<DerivativeCiv></DerivativeCiv>
			<IconAtlas>ATLAS_CIV</IconAtlas>
			<AlphaIconAtlas>EXPANSION_CIV_ALPHA_ATLAS</AlphaIconAtlas>
You have no civ "Alpha" atlas so the game is using the one you told it to in places where it accesses the Alpha rather than the Portrait Icons.

Creating a new Civilization is the first thing most budding modders wish to do, but it is probably one of the hardest things to actually achieve (as there are so many parts that have to be done exactly right). A single error will cause the entire new Civilization to just not work - which can be very disheartening.

One of the most common mistakes is to not give your new civilization (at least) two uniques (units, buildings and/or improvements) - failing to do so will cause the game setup screens to crash. Also, new to G&K are spy names and failing to allocate these to your civilization will cause the game to crash as you enter the Renaissance era.

While there is a guide to adding a new civilization, it is now out-of-date and inaccurate, so a lot of responses to the question "How do I create a civ" tend to include the sage advice "Download one and use that as a template"

But which one? The obvious ones are those in the standard game or DLC - as surely they must be correct. But they are not arranged by civilization (ie civ data, leader, trait, uniques, etc) but all leaders are lumped together in one file, all units in another, and with all the various supporting tables it is far from obvious what you need to copy to get "the complete civ".

This zip file address those issues. Within it you will find one sub-folder per civ (eg America, Arabia, Austria, Aztec, Babylon, etc) and within each civ specific sub-folder you will find (up to) six files - Civilization.xml, Leader.xml, Trait.xml, Units.xml, Buildings.xml and Improvements.xml

• Civilization.xml - The main <Civilizations> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Civilization_CityNames, Civilization_FreeTechs, Civilization_FreeBuildingClasses, etc), PlayerColors and Colors table entries and all associated text strings
  • Leader.xml - The main <Leaders> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Leader_MajorCivApproachBiases, Leader_Flavors, etc) and all associated text strings
  • Trait.xml - The main <Traits> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Trait_YieldChanges, Trait_FreePromotions, etc) and all associated text strings
  • Units.xml - The main <Units> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Unit_FreePromotions, Unit_Flavors, etc) and all associated text strings. If a civ has two UUs they will appear one after the other in this file (making it easier to split them apart).
  • Buildings.xml - The main <Buildings> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Building_ClassesNeededInCity, Building_Flavors, etc) and all associated text strings. (Only present if the civ has a UB)
  • Improvements.xml - The main <Improvements> table entry, all associated secondary tables (eg Improvement_Yields, Improvement_ValidFeatures, etc) and all associated text strings. (Only present if the civ has a UI)

IMPORTANT NOTES:
  1. If a secondary table is not used by the civilization a comment placeholder has been added for it.
  2. Every column is included, even if it just contains the default value
  3. Text strings are en_us only and main body text from the Civilopedia has been replaced by placeholders
  4. The zip does NOT contain any artwork

(These files were generated by a Java program directly accessing the SQLite database, and so are very easy to regenerate if needed.)

Download Civilizations (GK)
Download Civilizations (BNW)
Download Units
Download Buildings
Download Improvements
Cannot find the creation and customization forum.
Thank you for posting the vanilla game files. I could not locate them.
I want to alter and add traits, units, buildings, improvements etc. Essentially make my own 3UC 4UC 5UC etc mod.
I understand that this guide is for making new civs, but I can't find a guide that I am able to understand for amending existing civs.
Using nothing but logic as I know nothing about modding, I feel like the easiest thing to do is change text in these XML files and replace the current files in my game with my edited files, ignoring all the incorrect icons there will be. Maybe this is not possible. Thats the first bit of clarity I am looking for.

I am beginning to have success locating the lines of text that I must edit to do this. Basically create buildings, units, improvements in their respective folders (Haven't executed that yet), and then create traits in it's file under "civs". Then add those new units to the units file under "civs (america, for example)", the new buildings to the civilization file under civs (america), the new improvements to the civilization file under civs (america).
How to actually code new units, traits etc I am hopeless but I need to make sure I can wrap my head around the macro process first.

Thanks,

Ryan

Top Bottom