Yeah Right!

Goat_Boy

Chieftain
I whooped the puter on easiest so for a challenge i put it up to just past the middle, start the game and find after 3 turns my territory is already being invaded babylon with 2 spearmen and a settler how can he have 2 spearmen and a f***ing setller and his city 3 turns into the game, i wanted a challenge not a joke.

Or instead of programming better AI for upped difficulty they just gave the computer more starting units?

Yes. I think it is two free units on Monarch. Five free units on Emperor. Fifteen free units on Diety. In addition to the free units, everything is cheaper for the computer on the higher levels.

I agree that is it a bit of a joke, but it is standard operating procedure for 4x games. To see the absurdity of it, imagine a chess program that gives the computer more queens as you up the difficulty level.
Example: Let me try the Chessbozo program on Grandmaster level. Oh, eight queens, how quaint. I guess I can counter that by pop rushing my pawns :crazyeyes

The AI advantages on monarch do not really give it much of an advantage if you are a good player. This is definately my preferred level, as the advantages only balance out the deficiencies of the AI.

Writing a good AI is difficult and expensive. You people should try to imagine the prize of the game if different AI:s had to be written for each level of difficulty. No one would be able to buy it. :crazyeyes

Giving the AI certain bonuses at higher levels and certain penalties at lower levels to balance difficulty is IMHO the best choice under current circumstanses. :)

Originally posted by BillChin
Yes. I think it is two free units on Monarch. Five free units on Emperor. Fifteen free units on Diety. In addition to the free units, everything is cheaper for the computer on the higher levels.

is it possible, through the editor, to boost your own # starting units. i.e. if you decide to play american, can you start w/ 2 settlers?

Originally posted by BillChin
. . .I agree that is it a bit of a joke, but it is standard operating procedure for 4x games. To see the absurdity of it, imagine a chess program that gives the computer more queens as you up the difficulty level.
Example: Let me try the Chessbozo program on Grandmaster level. Oh, eight queens, how quaint. I guess I can counter that by pop rushing my pawns :crazyeyes

Precisely!

That is why AI cheating is such a bummer, and why I cheat right back in every way. Unfortunately, it all gets tedious after awhile. :(

Originally posted by Zouave

Precisely!

That is why AI cheating is such a bummer, and why I cheat right back in every way. Unfortunately, it all gets tedious after awhile. :(

And yet you find the time to post in nearly every thread on this board.

Your tolerance for tedium is remarkable.

Top Bottom