• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Yet another user plauged with single-core performance

tgp1994

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I noticed on my computer that it was taking an awfully long time for anything to happen - sending commands to units (the command goes through but nothing happens for a minute or two), and generally clicking the large button above the minimap would usually result in a one minute wait before anything happens.

Looking in Process Hacker (a derivation of Task Manager and Process Explorer), I see that Civ 5 is only using effectively one thread on my quad core processor - generally reaching ~12.5 to 13% utilization overall. From what I've read around the internet, this should not be the case.

I tried tweaking MaxSimultaneousThreads and changing it from 8 to 4, although this only offered a marginal improvement, while still keeping Civ 5 on one thread. Attempting to set the affinity of the process to only my four physical cores has no result.

Most threads asking the same question typically result in pages after of pages of replies going something like "all 48 cores of my AlienTec Z4 processor are maxed, don't know what your deal is, OP". Has anyone actually found a solution to this problem yet?

Specs:

• Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz (That is, four physical cores. TurboBoosts to 2.6GHz.)
  • Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • Card name: AMD Mobility Radeon HD 6570M (DxDiag reports it as 5000)
  • Driver Version: 14.100.0.0 (My laptop manufacturer uses version 8.x, although the problem was the same then)

Top Bottom