Yet anther clone

The number one feature I would like to see in a remake of civilization 1 is oil, rubber, iron and such resources to make war units and such, and then next trade window where these resources can be traded, so it makes more sense to find as many civilizations as possible to try and acquire these resources ! =D

The number two feature is a trade exchange where these can be bought or sold for gold/credits, that be fantastic ! ;) =D

The number three feature would probably be an advanced deep mind like learning AI, but that is probably something for the future ! Stratego already has one called: DeepNash. Fascinating stuff ! ;) =D

Made a minor update on this over the past week to allow basic play in touch devices! Nothing particularly ground breaking, but a long hold will allow you to move your unit to neighbouring tiles or perform actions on tour current time! Also added some release notes when you click the build number at the main menu so it's easier to know what's been added.

Over Christmas I implemented the basics for Spaceship production, but still haven't added victory conditions and there are still some bugs to resolve which I might look at next...

Attached some screenshots of the mobile view.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230113-210706.png
    Screenshot_20230113-210706.png
    446.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20230113-211611.png
    Screenshot_20230113-211611.png
    254 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20230113-211601.png
    Screenshot_20230113-211601.png
    313.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20230113-221634.png
    Screenshot_20230113-221634.png
    637.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20230113-210630.png
    Screenshot_20230113-210630.png
    162 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20230113-210544.png
    Screenshot_20230113-210544.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20230113-221155.png
    Screenshot_20230113-221155.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20230113-210827.png
    Screenshot_20230113-210827.png
    504.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_20230113-210741.png
    Screenshot_20230113-210741.png
    465.3 KB · Views: 66
The number one feature I would like to see in a remake of civilization 1 is oil, rubber, iron and such resources to make war units and such, and then next trade window where these resources can be traded, so it makes more sense to find as many civilizations as possible to try and acquire these resources ! =D

The number two feature is a trade exchange where these can be bought or sold for gold/credits, that be fantastic ! ;) =D

The number three feature would probably be an advanced deep mind like learning AI, but that is probably something for the future ! Stratego already has one called: DeepNash. Fascinating stuff ! ;) =D
I'm sure I'd replied to this, but apparently not! Apologies!

These are things I could definitely look to add at some point. The advanced, resources are definitely doable!

Advanced AI is definitely on the cards. The way I've tried to build it is that headless operation is possible with various clients so having some decent fixed AI to play against would be decent training I think. Also peer to peer should be feasible... But I need to make the game a bit better yet!

This is really exciting work! As others have said, the task is huge, but based on a brief look I think you have a workable framework.
Might it be worth consolidating the code into one repo (or at least fewer repos)? That would make it easier to handle refactoring commits, especially if multiple developers end up working on this.

This is really exciting work! As others have said, the task is huge, but based on a brief look I think you have a workable framework.
Might it be worth consolidating the code into one repo (or at least fewer repos)? That would make it easier to handle refactoring commits, especially if multiple developers end up working on this.
Thanks for taking the time to have a look around. I know it's pretty vast at the moment. I wanted to understand dependencies and prioritisation (especially in the node ecosystem) so ended up with this micro-repo architectures 😅. I imagine that it is confusing at first for sure, but primarily, the only changes made for a game should be in the simple- and civ1- (civ2-, civ3- etc) packages, the core- and base- etc should stay pretty static. I do appreciate the feedback though and will consider it, I could probably do with a CONTRIBUTING, at least in the short term, that describes why until I do consolidate more.

We're you able to get the web interface to work at all? I'm keen to improve that process of importing the data!

As an update, I've made a few more UI changes this past couple of weeks so I'll share those when they're released! I've also added a few more of the reports (and updated some of the existing ones) and want to add a button to access more of these in the UI. Also considering breaking up the UI into more modules, but based on this advice maybe not! 😂

Worked on a pretty big UI update over the past week. Updated the CityBuild and ChooseResearch buttons and the main button style in general, added in a missing report screen and made the reports accessible via a new options button. Added the ability to disable autoEnOfTurn too.

Discovered a few bugs in the process and have some more work. Thinking about either continuing the AI refactor or perhaps diplomacy (interactions and treaties) next!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-194908.png
    Screenshot_20230129-194908.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20230129-194853.png
    Screenshot_20230129-194853.png
    624.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20230129-194619.png
    Screenshot_20230129-194619.png
    526.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Screenshot_20230129-194605.png
    Screenshot_20230129-194605.png
    395.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20230129-193250.png
    Screenshot_20230129-193250.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20230129-193733.png
    Screenshot_20230129-193733.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20230129-193314.png
    Screenshot_20230129-193314.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230129-193346.png
    Screenshot_20230129-193346.png
    300 KB · Views: 55
Oh my goodness, I have never seen so many repositories for one project! As a developer who believes microservices can be overdone, this is pretty much my worst nightmare!

But it does seem to be producing results. which is what really matters in the end. I'd take it for a spin if Firaxis ever put Civ1 for sale on GOG and thus made the art assets easily purchaseable. Regardless, I'll be curious to watch from the peanut gallery and see how it progresses and how it compares to CivOne (AFAIK, the previous high-water mark).

Oh my goodness, I have never seen so many repositories for one project! As a developer who believes microservices can be overdone, this is pretty much my worst nightmare!
😅 That's fair! Since the majority of the repos are basically just for the entities, I've been considering combining the individual repos into libraries and deleting the individual repos (so all the units together, all the wonders, etc) One of my many original aims was to be able to play a "Civ1" game but, say, with the Civ2 units and tech tree, or add the civics from Civ5 and the religion from Civ4, so having each of the games mapped out made sense in my head but I agree it's at least intimidating! If it helps, the "meat" of the content (the Rules) is in the `civ1-` repos.
if Firaxis ever put Civ1 for sale on GOG
Yeah, this is making me want to move to an open source tile set sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the feedback!

😅 That's fair! Since the majority of the repos are basically just for the entities, I've been considering combining the individual repos into libraries and deleting the individual repos (so all the units together, all the wonders, etc) One of my many original aims was to be able to play a "Civ1" game but, say, with the Civ2 units and tech tree, or add the civics from Civ5 and the religion from Civ4, so having each of the games mapped out made sense in my head but I agree it's at least intimidating! If it helps, the "meat" of the content (the Rules) is in the `civ1-` repos.

Yeah, this is making me want to move to an open source tile set sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the feedback!
I noticed that individual units had their own repos, for example, which accounted for a lot of them.

The "being able to combine rule sets" idea is certainly neat. I've been working on a Civ3-inspired game (in C# and a monorepo, so quite different technically!) and that is one of our long-term goals as well. Of course just getting feature parity is a plenty long enough road.

I noticed that individual units had their own repos, for example, which accounted for a lot of them.

The "being able to combine rule sets" idea is certainly neat. I've been working on a Civ3-inspired game (in C# and a monorepo, so quite different technically!) and that is one of our long-term goals as well.
Yeah, it's one of those things that felt like a good idea (for reuse between different versions of civ) but in practicality, it could just be one units repo. But hey, it's all learning right?

Thanks! I'm not sure how it'll work in the long run but I like rule engines as a concept and have a habit of over-generalising so it's been thing thing I've worked on the most, along with the data object which I know needs more love to improve the reconstruction process when there are lots of objects...

Of course just getting feature parity is a plenty long enough road.
Indeed! I've certainly found it fun with civ 1, having played the game since I was a young kid, I've loved finding out that things I assumed we're a certain way aren't (and it's been nice to get validation on some others) as well as improve things I've felt are lacking/broken.

Good luck with yours too!

Brief update on this. I've just finished the first pass at inter-player diplomacy, which is now live. Currently the AI players always offer to exchange knowledge, offer peace and respect it, but my next aim is to pick up the modular AI system again which would enable much more complexity tied to individual modules and mean adding support for something like a custom unit type that AI can make use of too.

Additionally as part of this recent work I've made (hopefully all of, but at least most of) the UI translatable so it should be possible to completely translate the game by adding the associated translation files (currently all in the web-renderer repo, probably to be broken down as the UI is).

Hows things going with your project @dom111 ? Obviously things have sort of taken off this year over in Rahorvat's impressive OpenCiv1 project thread but I haven't forgotten about all the excellent work you were doing here!

I have a feeling that everyone is looking at my rewrite and waiting for me to finish the codebase... ;)

Nice port ;) I hope that my rewrite will help and we will finally have complete codebase for Civ 1.
I also have planned to finish with online web port of the game and I hope that the some projects will merge and offer the complete game :)

Hows things going with your project @dom111 ? Obviously things have sort of taken off this year over in Rahorvat's impressive OpenCiv1 project thread but I haven't forgotten about all the excellent work you were doing here!
Thanks! Yeah, I've have to pause due to work and life commitments, but it's just that, a pause! I've been working on it, on and off for years already, so hopefully I can continue in he new year!

I have been closely watching the amazing efforts and am excited to play this when time allows!

This project does have different goals to some of the others in being a general civ game with a first focus on civ1 compatibility, rather than a true clone! My current/next milestone is the underlying data system, as this currently leaks memory in the UI, once I can resolve that, I can work on optimising the pathfinding and get back on with the AI approach! 😅

I have a feeling that everyone is looking at my rewrite and waiting for me to finish the codebase... ;)

Nice port ;) I hope that my rewrite will help and we will finally have complete codebase for Civ 1.
I also have planned to finish with online web port of the game and I hope that the some projects will merge and offer the complete game :)
I think a web port would be awesome! More accessibility of the game would be amazing and with some much work on WASM porting things that way should be nice and clean too!

Very exciting stuff!

Top Bottom