Yields from central city tile (possible bug, or maybe I'm confused?)

SullySaltlicker

Chieftain
Inca's UA makes every mountain yield 1 :c5food:, 1 :c5gold:, and 1 :c5science: starting in the Ancient Era. I started a game as the Inca and noticed some weird things going on with my capital's starting yields when I settled on a mountain with vs. without a river. I settled my capital on a nearby mountain between some rivers and the city "improvement" itself is upgrading the central tile to 4 :c5food:, 1 :c5production:, 1 :c5gold:, and 1 :c5science:.

20220611135206_1.jpg

This was weird to me because, according to the Civilopedia page "City Locations and Yields", cities on mountains get at least +2 :c5production:. It seemed like my mountain bonus was overridden by the fresh water bonus, which gives +1 :c5food::

20220611135201_1.jpg

So I tried settling on a mountain with no fresh water and got this:

20220611141614_1.jpg

A central tile with 3 :c5food:, 2 :c5production:, 2 :c5gold:, 1 :c5science:. I got more production as expected, but now the bonus for not settling on hills or fresh water got applied as well. I was going to file a bug report about this, but then I decided to start a game as a different civ and double-check that city tile yields were applying properly with other civs. So I booted up an Assyria game and got this:

20220611151131_1.jpg

My city tile has 3 :c5food: and 1 :c5production:, but I'm on plains (1 :c5food:, 1 :c5production:) with fresh water (+1 :c5food: for cities), so should I only be getting 2 :c5food:? Looking back at the first Cusco picture, I should be getting 1 :c5food: from the Incan UA, and 1 more :c5food: from the rivers, yet I have 4 :c5food:. Cusco was set up between 2 rivers, so I checked and confirmed that the fresh water bonus was not be applied twice by settling on a mountain with only 1 river, and I got the same 4 :c5food: yield from my city tile.

I feel like I should file a bug report but at this point I'm a bit confused on what I should expect to be getting from my central tile in the first place.

If anyone could explain all these yield scenarios it'd be a big help.

Last edited:
Everything you see is intended behaviour. The Civilopedia entry is slightly out of date, as non-freshwater mountain settles give +:c5production::c5gold:.

If you are on a hill: 2:c5food:2:c5production:;
Otherwise, if you are on a fresh water tile: 3:c5food:1:c5production:;
Otherwise, if you are on a mountain: 2:c5food:2:c5production:1:c5gold:;
Otherwise: 2:c5food:1:c5production:1:c5gold:.

Last edited:
So the default yield from the city is 2 :c5food:, and the the only discrepancy is that mountains give 1 :c5production: 1 :c5gold: instead of 2 :c5production:?

How does grassland/plains/tundra factor in?

How does grassland/plains/tundra factor in?
They don't.

Cities essentially take the tile that is beneath them, then modify them to satisfy minimum requirements.
Cities always have a minimum yield of 2:c5food:1:c5production:. This means a flat grassland tile gains a :c5production:, a flat plains tile gains a :c5food:, a flat tundra tile gains :c5food::c5production:, hills tile gains 2:c5food:, a snow tile gains 2:c5food::c5production:.

Additionally, depending on location, there are additional effects:
Flat Freshwater adds :c5food:.
Flat No Freshwater adds :c5gold:.
Mountain Freshwater adds :c5food:.
Mountain no Freshwater adds :c5production::c5gold:.
Hills don't add anything.

These effects give you the distribution described above.

Looks like there's one caveat: don't settle on a snow hill, as it only gives 2:c5food:1:c5production: (but flat settles will give 4 yields).

Last edited:
Top Bottom