Your best game

Aoleleb

Warlord
A corollary to a recent thread:

What's the best game you ever had? Maybe you crushed the enemy with an unstoppable army. Maybe you won against overwhelming odds. Maybe something funny happened that you remember fondly to this day. Let us know!

To this day, my best game was a game I had a while back on a Pangaea map as D'Tesh. I had one city and slowly expanded my territory with forts, eventually taking over the entire continent and transforming it into a barren wasteland. On more than one occasion I let out a maniacal cackle. :D

A lot of people express dislike of the terraforming civs, but I love em, seeing the influence of my culture taking over the land, even when it doesn't quite fit thematically, like with the good malakim leaders. But anyway.

The best game that I can remember was as the Elohim, large map on epic speed. I was trying to play the good guy, purely peaceful route, but it wasn't going well. It was around turn 400 and I was about middle of the pack, with the Sidar, Grigori, and Amurites all about double my score, and the Sidar, Amurites, and 3 other civs below me in score had all decided they wanted me dead.

Without popping the wall, I managed to hold off their attacks with a pair of ridiculously leveled Ratha and some paladins from rushing Righteousness. By turn 550 I had pulled ahead with a good 500 point lead, and established peace with everyone. But then the chaotic evil amurites, svarts, and chislev decided to call war on me again, I decided I'd had it, and sent the Ratha at the amurites, now a level 22 Greater Werewolf War Chariot, equipped with Orthus' Axe, the Nightblade, and Mirror shield, and with the help of a few other units wiped the Amurites and most of the svarts off the map. I won the game around turn 800 after twelve and a half hours to an Altar of Luonnatar victory.

My best game in RifE would be the one were I wouldn't have to wait ages for the turns to complete. So far I haven't had such a game. I hope 1.4 will "fix" this, afterall it doesn't matter how many cool features you put in a game if it requires Buddha's patience to play.

A corollary to a recent thread:

What's the best game you ever had? Maybe you crushed the enemy with an unstoppable army. Maybe you won against overwhelming odds. Maybe something funny happened that you remember fondly to this day. Let us know!

To this day, my best game was a game I had a while back on a Pangaea map as D'Tesh. I had one city and slowly expanded my territory with forts, eventually taking over the entire continent and transforming it into a barren wasteland. On more than one occasion I let out a maniacal cackle. :D

That must have been before forts starting costing you 4gold a turn.:lol:

Nah. D'Tesh makes bank. I did it earlier today just to relive the awesome of D'Tesh :D

My most successful game was a while ago in base FfH2, the only time when, after I won, I was told that I had exhibited the leadership abilities of Cthulhu! (It was only Noble difficulty level, so not the most impressive achievement, I know.)

I was playing as the Balseraphs (I always play all random civs) and was able to use Loki very effectively to flip all kinds of cities. Other civs eventually declared war on me, of course, and I conquered a bunch of cities, etc. I'd built the Nox Noctis and Baron Duin Halfmorn, plus eventually Mind III Archmages, so could cause a lot of mischief.

It was a Tower victory, and I remember that the turn on which I won was somewhere in the 400s (it was a while ago, so don't remember the exact turn number).

Anyway, my first and (so far) only Cthulhu victory.

My favorite game was in FFH 2, playing as the Calabim I was pretty iffy until I took most of the northern continent, and then fought an epic war with the Clan (the only time they have ever been a legitimate threat :) ) Victory by Domination

One of my most fun games (although I didn't end up as Cthulhu) was a game of Wild Mana some months back -- not because it was WM, but because it ended up being one of those "emergent stories" that Kael loves so much.

I was playing as the Luchuirp and had plenty of room to expand. I had to fight barbs and animals to expand, which let me level up Barnaxus and then stash him safely away in the interior of my empire. I eventually encountered my nearest neighbors, the Khazad and Kuriotates, but we'd started far enough apart that we all expanded peacefully. For most of the game we were peaceful Kilmorph worshipers. The Khazad beat me to Bambur and Arthendain.

Very late in the game I built the Ride of the Nine Kings and converted to Empyrean so I could crank out Rathas starting at level 4. The Khazad, evidently upset by my apostasy, eventually declared war and invaded with some monster stacks.

Here's where the emergent story begins. I decided that our war was not religious, but rather an epic struggle to decide who would unite the Dwarves of Erebus into a single empire.

I used my Rathas to cast Blinding Light on the invading stacks, then had my Dwarven Druids cast Crush so that any invaders that weren't Held would be too weak to press their attack. And since I'd built the Nox Noctis, I moved my Mind 3 Archmages next to the invading stacks and captured Khazad units with Domination. (I had made sure not to take other promotions when they became available, so that if an Archmage lost the ability to cast Domination I could take the Mind 3 promotion again.)

I imagined the fury of the Khazad commanders as they saw their units simply vanish. In my mind I decided that rather than being bewitched, the Khazad's Dwarven Champions, Berserkers, Chariots, etc. were defecting to join my army. So my army of Golems got nicely supplemented by Dwarven units and I ended up invading Khazad territory and taking their cities.

In the middle of the war, funnily enough, I ended up winning a Cultural Victory, of all things, presumably a result of all those turns of peaceful expansion. I was so immersed in this war to unite the Dwarves of Erebus that I kept on playing after the Cultural Victory.

Anyway, eventually I conquered the last Khazad city and had created a unified Dwarven empire. I wasn't able to capture Maros, Bambur, or Arthendain, unfortunately, they were killed, otherwise my victory would have been complete.

One of my most fun games (although I didn't end up as Cthulhu) was a game of Wild Mana some months back -- not because it was WM, but because it ended up being one of those "emergent stories" that Kael loves so much.

I was playing as the Luchuirp and had plenty of room to expand. I had to fight barbs and animals to expand, which let me level up Barnaxus and then stash him safely away in the interior of my empire. I eventually encountered my nearest neighbors, the Khazad and Kuriotates, but we'd started far enough apart that we all expanded peacefully. For most of the game we were peaceful Kilmorph worshipers. The Khazad beat me to Bambur and Arthendain.

Very late in the game I built the Ride of the Nine Kings and converted to Empyrean so I could crank out Rathas starting at level 4. The Khazad, evidently upset by my apostasy, eventually declared war and invaded with some monster stacks.

Here's where the emergent story begins. I decided that our war was not religious, but rather an epic struggle to decide who would unite the Dwarves of Erebus into a single empire.

I used my Rathas to cast Blinding Light on the invading stacks, then had my Dwarven Druids cast Crush so that any invaders that weren't Held would be too weak to press their attack. And since I'd built the Nox Noctis, I moved my Mind 3 Archmages next to the invading stacks and captured Khazad units with Domination. (I had made sure not to take other promotions when they became available, so that if an Archmage lost the ability to cast Domination I could take the Mind 3 promotion again.)

I imagined the fury of the Khazad commanders as they saw their units simply vanish. In my mind I decided that rather than being bewitched, the Khazad's Dwarven Champions, Berserkers, Chariots, etc. were defecting to join my army. So my army of Golems got nicely supplemented by Dwarven units and I ended up invading Khazad territory and taking their cities.

In the middle of the war, funnily enough, I ended up winning a Cultural Victory, of all things, presumably a result of all those turns of peaceful expansion. I was so immersed in this war to unite the Dwarves of Erebus that I kept on playing after the Cultural Victory.

Anyway, eventually I conquered the last Khazad city and had created a unified Dwarven empire. I wasn't able to capture Maros, Bambur, or Arthendain, unfortunately, they were killed, otherwise my victory would have been complete.

Thats pretty much the 9th symphony of RiFE.;)
:mischief:

Thats pretty much the 9th symphony of RiFE.;)
:mischief:

Except it was Wild Mana, not RifE, although the same could happen in RifE one of these days. Main difference would be RifE's limits on Domination, I wouldn't have been able to capture so many Khazad units.

But anyway, thanks? I think? :confused:

Except it was Wild Mana, not RifE, although the same could happen in RifE one of these days. Main difference would be RifE's limits on Domination, I wouldn't have been able to capture so many Khazad units.

But anyway, thanks? I think? :confused:

Wait...Wild Mana? Then why are you posting this modmod heresy in the RiFE thread?:jesus::nono:

Your welcome, me thinks.:mischief:

Lol, as the amurites.. turtle turtle turtle hope to God no ones attacks you, then BAM! Govanan spam mages likes there no tommorow :) Stack's of 15 mages with buffs and fireball for the win :) Oh, any game as the Patria cause they are brokenly easy :) Emperor game win for the them, any time :)

When Acheron cheate-erm moved onto a mountain and my spectres took his city and razed it. I would have loved to see the look on his face.:evil:

My "best game?"

Well, the most entertaining and nail-biting game I have yet had in Rife was long ago, in some forgotten release. But, it was.. awesome.

I was playing the Bannor, so it must have been right after a patch or one of my early games. I always play the Bannor first, on any stable release, so I can get a good idea of how the whole game plays out without having to rely on any complex game mechanics or win-condition gymnastics.

The Calabim had been a thorn in my side for a long time. It wasn't that they were constantly attacking me, it was that they were gaining power at an alarming rate and I could do nothing to stop them. In order to reach them, I had to either build a fleet or move through half a continent's worth of territory that I did not have Open Border's with.

Eventually, they enslaved two other civs which ended up putting me in the position to go to war with them and do some damage. I went to it with a gusto.

But... damn. They were brutal! Vampires and horsemen burned the countryside - undead were everywhere. I quickly used Rally and started to be able to plug the gaps. Then, I created a series of fortresses which effectively cut the continent in two, into defensibly managable positions.

There was no question at all about whether or not I could mount a deep counter-attack. I couldn't. I couldn't afford to let the Calabim past those defenses and into my production areas. All I could do was hold on while Rally helped strengthen my position and while I developed the attacking forces I needed to strike deep.

This was back in the day when SODs were the RULE and the AI would create monstrous ones. In the main fortification that I had, my SOD was 200+ units deep.. and I needed EVERY SINGLE ONE of them... Hordes of vampires, horseman, archers, whatsits would come to storm my defenses every 20 turns or so. Hundreds of units, it seemed. At one point, I hoped that I would be able to simply outlast the Calabim. But, I couldn't count on that.

Then, Losha Vallas appeared and things took a turn for the worst. She chewed through my heaviest defenders and then hid behind stacks of protectors. I don't know how many times I killed her, only for her to come back twice as strong.

The war raged on. Turn after turn. I could do nothing but reinforce my positions and hope to build enough of an assault force to mount a decisive counter-attack. Attacking ANYTHING with the hope of holding it, in an unprepared defensive position, was suicidal.. and I needed every unit I had to defend the border and my interior.

It was the most fun game I've ever played in RiFE and, certainly, ranks as one of my Top Ten game experiences of all time in solo-play.

I never got to finish that game, never got to see who would have finally won. Eventually, I was able to summon the Mercurians. But, Basium's forces did little for me. He accumulated a goodly number of units, but they just didn't do very much. They'd go into the Calabim mainland and feed the Calabim units experience points... I'm pretty sure I would have eventually won that conflict. But, a new patch came out and my machine was already taking far too long in-between turns. But, what a game! What a game it was!

My "best game?"

Well, the most entertaining and nail-biting game I have yet had in Rife was long ago, in some forgotten release. But, it was.. awesome.

I was playing the Bannor, so it must have been right after a patch or one of my early games. I always play the Bannor first, on any stable release, so I can get a good idea of how the whole game plays out without having to rely on any complex game mechanics or win-condition gymnastics.

The Calabim had been a thorn in my side for a long time. It wasn't that they were constantly attacking me, it was that they were gaining power at an alarming rate and I could do nothing to stop them. In order to reach them, I had to either build a fleet or move through half a continent's worth of territory that I did not have Open Border's with.

Eventually, they enslaved two other civs which ended up putting me in the position to go to war with them and do some damage. I went to it with a gusto.

But... damn. They were brutal! Vampires and horsemen burned the countryside - undead were everywhere. I quickly used Rally and started to be able to plug the gaps. Then, I created a series of fortresses which effectively cut the continent in two, into defensibly managable positions.

There was no question at all about whether or not I could mount a deep counter-attack. I couldn't. I couldn't afford to let the Calabim past those defenses and into my production areas. All I could do was hold on while Rally helped strengthen my position and while I developed the attacking forces I needed to strike deep.

This was back in the day when SODs were the RULE and the AI would create monstrous ones. In the main fortification that I had, my SOD was 200+ units deep.. and I needed EVERY SINGLE ONE of them... Hordes of vampires, horseman, archers, whatsits would come to storm my defenses every 20 turns or so. Hundreds of units, it seemed. At one point, I hoped that I would be able to simply outlast the Calabim. But, I couldn't count on that.

Then, Losha Vallas appeared and things took a turn for the worst. She chewed through my heaviest defenders and then hid behind stacks of protectors. I don't know how many times I killed her, only for her to come back twice as strong.

The war raged on. Turn after turn. I could do nothing but reinforce my positions and hope to build enough of an assault force to mount a decisive counter-attack. Attacking ANYTHING with the hope of holding it, in an unprepared defensive position, was suicidal.. and I needed every unit I had to defend the border and my interior.

It was the most fun game I've ever played in RiFE and, certainly, ranks as one of my Top Ten game experiences of all time in solo-play.

I never got to finish that game, never got to see who would have finally won. Eventually, I was able to summon the Mercurians. But, Basium's forces did little for me. He accumulated a goodly number of units, but they just didn't do very much. They'd go into the Calabim mainland and feed the Calabim units experience points... I'm pretty sure I would have eventually won that conflict. But, a new patch came out and my machine was already taking far too long in-between turns. But, what a game! What a game it was!

That is an amazing game, my machine can barely handle over 30-40 units onscreen at once.:eek: What difficulty was that on, by the way?:confused:

... What difficulty was that on, by the way?:confused:

I don't remember what it was for that game. But, judging from my play habits and that it was likely this was one of the first games after a patch, it wouldn't have been higher than Prince, if that.

BUT, the AI performed.. wonderfully!

The AI's SODs would come marching in and then the horseman would rush out of them to pillage deep into my territories. The AI even tried separating its forces, sending stacks of summoned units past my defenses, horseman, chariots, discipline units.. the whole gambit of units available to the AI. Losha led every major assualt. During every one of those long battles, I would find myself muttering.. "OK, where is she.. where are you, you @$%^%!" :D

Finally, I managed to kill her without her taking a life and that broke her respawn. That was the turning point of the war. Once Losha was gone, units that had been unable to to exercise their skills, due to her defense values, were able to be unleashed. Wounded units could no longer cower behind Losha's protection. There had been many battles before she was defeated where I tried desperately not to give her any sacrifices. That took a heavy toll and forced me to create a lot of assassins, just to get a chance at whittling down the wounded. It was a touchy thing, for a long time.

Best.. game.. ever!

The ai must have been better in that game because the calabim in my game have only one city left(noone's attacked them yet, I haven't because their a good source of manes), four players were taken out in the first 100 turns, and I'm also on prince...I've really got to find that patch.:D

This is a pretty good one:

Attachments

• Civ4BeyondSword 2011-06-10 00-05-27-21.jpg
    Civ4BeyondSword 2011-06-10 00-05-27-21.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 303
Top Bottom