Your Biggest Obstacle to Game Play??

Your biggest Obstacle to Game Play??

• Limited computer speed / ram.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Limited computer access time.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • social commitments (friend, spouse,etc.)

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Work / study / school

Votes: 53 51.0%
  • Game / unit / scenario designing

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Different hobbies or interests

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 8 7.7%

• Total voters
Gameplay for sure. There are lots of annoying things to babysit - workers, sci slider, citizens, pathfinding, pollution, map trading, etc.

Work and other commitments in life. Finally quit the game once and for all when I bought my new notebook recently and resisted the urge to install the game onto it.

For me it's usually:

1) Work

2) Wife

3) kids

4) Other hobbies, WWE Raw Deal CCG (playing casually and going to tournaments), Admin of forums at http://www.teamcanadaonline.ca Raw Deal fan site. Just last night a fellow Admin twice interrupted my CIv3 ing, to help him look into users that were scamming users in the card trading forum and I was so close to finishing off Babylon.

Few of them respect my Civ3 ing. :-(

Reluctance to play due to the game demanding too much effort, since I hate playing not optimal. Since playing should be well spent leisure-time, a complicated game on Deity difficulty is not.

A mixture of time/CPU speed. I don't have much time and when I do, the computer crashes and I lose whatever I do for my civilization. Its probably 4-7 years old (the RAM is updated a bit, but it's still not too good.)

Okay, given that family and work are obviously the two top reasons., I'd have to say other games prevent me from playing Civ3 constantly. Between EU2, HOI, and Legion, my Civ3 time is lessened, but I still play it most often. In fact, if you count the GOTM as a separate game, I get about one personal Civ3 game a month.

My girlfriend.. but i wont dare call her an obstacle because she is much more important then any game..

Though alot of the time she will just sit with me and either fall asleep next to me while im playing or act like co ruler.. lol hilarious when i want to invade "Random Civ" and she objects to it.. ah good times. :)

Computer speed. The game slows down terribly even on a large map when the game gets into the later stages.

I have absolutely no obstacles to play except sanity, and quite often I find that Civ helps ;)

I put "other hobbies/interests" as my vote. A broad vista is the name of the game in my book. I'm doing research into the origins of man in Europe atm, and I'm finding Civ 3 food for thought, and that keeps me coming back for more.

I'm in real danger of upsetting any Germans reading this, but is it my imagination... are the Germans virtually impossible to play (even more so than the French and Brits, and US and Russia)? Their belligerence (ingame) is very self-destructive (and not very reflective of the real history). I'm getting too intellectual here, I think, so I'll shut up... I could carry on for hours...

When asked recently what would be my ideal job, I replied: Researching the history for a game like Civilization :lol:

I'm pretty new to gaming (in the last two years). It was an online strategy game that got me hooked (totally!), and the comparative complexity, combined with the "on one's own" angle (the social side of online gaming can get pretty exhausting), of Civ 3 has lived up to my friends' recommendations.

But I reckon my (imaginary) husband wouldn't have as much tolerance as all your wives to such an obsession (something I thought about online gaming)... So be thankful, you lucky, lucky blokes ;)

1) work
2) travel
3) other games (but not for long maybe a quick season in CM0304 or Alpha Centauri or maybe even a ToT)
4) being civved out (in my case meaning can't be bothered to get into another epic game at the moment, it is a huge time investment, however a handful of PBEM's and the occasional SG keeps me "in training")

are my biggest obstacles

my wife is not an obstacle, i think she realised very quickly it is a way for me to relax (and probably better than sitting in front of the tv or getting drunk etc etc) and anyhow we've started to play multiplayer together now anyway and she also gets the one-more-turn, omg where's the time gone syndrome

endgame grind

I do other things besides play CIV. I've got several other games loaded on my computer and I play them. I go to several discussion websites and spend time there. I have a sailboat and go sailing fairly frequently. I do a good bit of reading. In short, CIV isn't my life.

For the most part, I've adjusted to the addiction by keeping the game on a second computer. One for work, one for the game and a third for internet. My ideal would be for a fourth to handle graphics and animation. I'm concerned that this could lead to being in a forum while animating a unit while playing the game.

EDIT: BTW, my thanks to everyone for sharing your input.:thanx:

Tied for 1. The human bodies damn need for rest.
1. Girlfriend
2. Work (bills are a b!tch)
3. Other hobbies (cars, other games)

I should say that lately this game has really been cutting in to my sleep time. "One more turn" I say...Then its "I cant beleive they declared war! Its ON now!" Proceed to walk all over my rivals. "Oh, so close do discovering 'bla bla' tech. I really wanna start cranking out those new units". Build new units, "I could wipe out at least a whole civ really fast with this new tech, Ill just start the conquest now, finish later..." IT NEVER ENDS!

I realize now that for some of the fanatics, I should have listed sleeping in the poll. Hey Keaka, sounds like you're definitely hooked. My condolences.
;) I would have listed eating and sex, but they can be accomplished during game play.

Oh god...sex during gameplay...My girl would be pissed...Shed be trying to "have fun" and I'd be trying to have fun by playing my game.

"FASTER!"

"I can't go faster! I dont have enough gold to rush all those tanks!"

Getting back on topic, I was wondering how many of you find that you lose interest at a particular point in the game. Sometimes if I feel I don't have enough time to truly immerse myself into game play for several days, I tend to not play. Then at other times, I will just leave the game on for days and play during any small break such as during a tv commercial, or while on hold on the telephone. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom