Your favorite map type

fearthereaper

Pack Leader
Whats your favorite map type?(continents,archipelago,terra,etc etc etc) I like the Terra map the best. The other continent has good resources and oh yeah this map is extra large.;)

I never play Terra cause i consider it cheating. You know that there's an ununhabited continent out there with tonnes of new resources and can play towards finding it. The AI has no idea.

Personally I only use Planet Generator.

For my part, I like Tectonics (kinda more realistic), & Archipelago (mainly Archipelago or Snaky continents). That last one allows for extra coast, some water safety & lots of spots to take on the later eras. Of course, those last kinds are better played with a Rocky climate (to compensate for the low production).

I never play Terra cause i consider it cheating. You know that there's an ununhabited continent out there with tonnes of new resources and can play towards finding it. The AI has no idea.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

As for me, I generally like very few maps that are generated, they often simply aren't detailed enough, oftentimes they are like big circles.

i enjoy the maps w/ 2 to 3 continents far enough away from each other that you can't reach w/ early vessels. i like standard to large so that there about 2 to 4 civs on each continent.

then there are 2 games. the one where you win your continent and the other when the world view comes into play. has any ai dominated their continent.

but i always go by random everthing, except skill level.

I've tried a few but keep coming back to small/medium tropical fractals, possibly with a lower sea level depending on how many civs are on it or how packed I want it to be.

Hemispheres with 2 massive continents and Islands.
Climate: Rocky
Size: Huge
Sea Level: Low

Love it!

Played fractal large and bumped up # civs by 5 or 6. But now trying hemisphere's and kinda liking that. But you get to choose how many continents so that takes some of the surprise out. Setting it at random and you can get just one continent....that isn't very cool either.

I definatley don't like any earth maps since I know where everything is, and knowing there is a new continent out there seems like a cheat too.

I like controlled randomness I guess!

I play terra cause I don't know what half the other maps do
Try the following:

- Start the game & choose a different map type.
- Wait for the game to be configured.
- Instead of starting to play the game, take a peek in the World Builder.
- Regenerate the map a few times in order to get an idea of what stuff is to be expected of it.
- Repeat all of the above with several map types.

Big/Small is my favourite map script. It's nowhere near as predictable as most of the others, and doesn't produce the bizarre grassland in pack ice phenomonon that I keep getting with tectonic. Fractal isn't bad either.

I like Tectonics. I tried the Earth Tectonics and it produced an interesting map, somewhat Earth-like but with the continents nudged around and a bit misshapen.

I prefer Big&Small and Fractal. Both are very random, and generally produce a few continents + some islands. I always prefer to have no clue what the world is going to look like.

I used to always play Pangaea because I really didn't like intercontinental warfare. However, that has changed a lot.

Nowadays, I don't like Pangaea as much because the choices with regards to early REX'ing are usually overwhelming. On maps like Archipelago it is usually much easier :)

90% of my games over these years have been Fractal.

most of the time i play it with temeperate, but i'll throw in a tropical here and there.

continents

love to have a whole big continent to conquer like a pangea map and still have another new land to discover with new civs and resources and stuff ^^ lovely map

Top Bottom