Your Favorite (not best) UU

Tyrvos

Cu Chulainn
I've seen threads about people's thoughts on the best UU (usually coming down to Keshiks v Camel Archer or Longbow v Chu-Ko-Nu's) but I'm more interested in what UU you would prefer for your play style. I think it's more meaningful then who is best, since yes, Keshiks are amazing but other UU's fit my, and probably your, playstyle better (such as Naval/Coastal Warfare).

For me, the Berber cavalry has probably saved me almost all my games with them. 25% combat bonus for friendly territory and 50% for desert (both of which carry over) is phenomenal. I haven't tried it with the Order 's Patriotic War, but that just sounds like silly overkill. This Morocco UU is perfect for my more defensive game play, since I focus on trade and diplo, and comes when ideologies come into play. Each time I've gotten these guys, my neighboring autocrats or commies decided to wage war and inevitably lost, although outnumbering me, because of how powerful this unit is (also because the AI sucks at warfare).

Notable UU's for me are probably also the Berserker (come earlier than their counterpart and great mobility/amphibious capability) and Seabeggars (3 free upgrades that carry over and great for taking cities) who are both nice for coastal warfare, which I find myself in more often than other types.

Minuteman, hands down. Ignores terrain, earning golden age points and a free Drill I: yes please.

Top 5 Favorite UU:
5. Cossack- These things are the only reason to play Russia for me. I love the VS wounded upgrade which basically just means 33% strength boost so long as you have some ranged units/ fodder. Upgrades to T-34s.
5. (Tie) Impi- ZULU! Also it upgrade to riflemen which I consider such a massive advantage that I would call a pikeman replacement with that as its ONLY ability a good unit.
4. Sea Beggars- These kick some serious butt. With only two promotions you can have double strike which makes them absolutely devastating anti city units for a disturbingly long time period, able to slip in, hammer away at a city, then heal while pulling fire. I've sacked more cities with beggars than I have with battering rams, since no one seems to see these things comming. The prize ships promotion certainly doesn't hurt. Easily my favorite naval unit.
3. Immortal- Double healing. Double healing.
2. Winged Hussars- Easily the best lancer replacement and a great unit in its own right, the winged hussar can wreak havoc on an opponent who is a little behind, and can even hold up against some more advanced units in ideal conditions.
1. Minute man- Great mobility +free rough terrain +great vision +recently golden ages. Can't ask for a better mainline infantry, can you?

Honorable mentions:
Mandekalu cavalry- It's good, but not amazing really. They just have sentimental value since my first victory ever in CiV was as the Songhai.
French Foreign Legions- This would've been my number two favorite unit if it wasn't removed from the game.
Polynesian ships- They can go into deep water while other ships cannot, so while not a unique unit they give me a unique playstyle (namely sneak naval invasions with triremes/ galleas without threat of retaliation, which is awesome!)
Paratroopers- Not unique, but no one uses them, which is a shame because I love these guys!

A Zulu Impi with its 4 special promotions give you :

- 1 first strick
- + 1 mouvement
- +20% in open terrain
- +30% Defence against all ranged attack
- +75% Flank attack
- +50 Vs Mounted units

I love to build 4 or 5 of those, traine them seriously and when the time comes to upgrade them (in Rifleman) you just lose the first strick but you have your special elit troup to kill all the nasties on the map!

Sea beggars are just amazing. With an armory, you can get Logistics on these things, and with Supply, melee damage from ships doesnt really matter. IF you have a few of them, send them to a enemy city, and capture any unit from the time period. (when neccessary, upgrade to destroyer).

Personally, I gotta say that B-17s are my favorite, and quite possibly the best UU in the game if played right. First of all, the fact they start with a 33% bonus vs cities, making more powerful the already powerful bombers. Second of all, if you have Brandenburg gate, Alhambra, and the Total war tenant and all xp buildings and national wonders, then your B-17s will be able to get the logistics promotion right off the bat. If you can only, say, get Brandenburg gate and have decided to go order instead, then your B-17s will still be able to get air repair, which is a tremendous boost. After you're ready with your squadron of about 12 B-17s, then I've found you can take out a capital in about 5 turns, purely because of the enormous pack these can punch. The best part is, they never go obsolete. This meaning that even when stealth bombers come around, you can still build them for that 33% bonus vs cities.
Overall, a very good unit, especially for domination.

Panzers: 7 moves 80 strength. Together with lightning warfare these are the best domination unit available in the entire game along with Keshiks. But I just like the "in your face" nature of Panzers because they don't need to hit and run (even though they can) and you can't do anything about them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

THe minuteman is a good UU.. so is the comanche riders since they start out with mobility and can be upgraded to mobility promoted tanks.. Berber cavalries, winged hussars are also good UUs that I like..

Jaguars are one of my favorites: even if it only healed 25 HP per kill, it would be a good UU for the momentum these guys can build up early on. Having double move through forest & jungle is almost like ignoring terrain cost with a couple exceptions (especially as they'll move faster through a forest hill than a non-forest hill), and the free extra strength in the woods/jungle is a cherry on top. You get them so early (and actually start with one) so you can promote them very very highly.

Sea Beggars are awesome for reasons stated above. Starts with Logistics and Supply once you have an Armory? Hahaha, the seas are mine. Ships of the line might slow you down, but then they're YOUR ships of the line. Hilarity ensues.

Carolean. I just love the free March promotion. Coupled with Medic II or a Khan, they will have a hard time dying.

Obligatory Pathfinder mention. :) Upgrades to C. Bow, chooses the rewards from ruins, ignores terrain cost. What's not to like?

Ship of the line.
Beside being of of the best UU, I just like the wheel symbol :3
I also like the musketeer one.

Jaguars are one of my favorites: even if it only healed 25 HP per kill, it would be a good UU for the momentum these guys can build up early on. Having double move through forest & jungle is almost like ignoring terrain cost with a couple exceptions (especially as they'll move faster through a forest hill than a non-forest hill), and the free extra strength in the woods/jungle is a cherry on top. You get them so early (and actually start with one) so you can promote them very very highly.

Sea Beggars are awesome for reasons stated above. Starts with Logistics and Supply once you have an Armory? Hahaha, the seas are mine. Ships of the line might slow you down, but then they're YOUR ships of the line. Hilarity ensues.

I have to go with these two as well. As the Aztecs, I open Honor, spam Jaguars, and go barb hunting for early game fun. It also helps that I altered the MAX_BARBARIAN_XP setting in the game files from 30 to 99999, so I can level these bad boys up into unstoppable killing machines.

And, as for the Sea Beggar, I think the Logistics promotion is highly underrated. Having to hightail your wounded naval units back to friendly territory (and pray they make it) to heal them is stressful and time-consuming. Doing it in the vast blue oceans from the get-go is such a huge convenience.

I do believe you mistook Logistics for Supply.

Supply is an excellent promotion for the Sea Beggar. It is my other favourite unit, but people have already said enough what needs to be said about it.

I do believe you mistook Logistics for Supply.

Supply is an excellent promotion for the Sea Beggar. It is my other favourite unit, but people have already said enough what needs to be said about it.

Ah, you're right, Logistics is the double attack. Which is also extremely helpful because not only can you attack twice, but you still get to use any remaining movement points to retreat to safety.

That's what I get for posting hurriedly from work before my boss walks past my cube.

I have to go with these two as well. As the Aztecs, I open Honor, spam Jaguars, and go barb hunting for early game fun. It also helps that I altered the MAX_BARBARIAN_XP setting in the game files from 30 to 99999, so I can level these bad boys up into unstoppable killing machines.

I never go into the game files, but maybe I should try this one time with Raging Barbs on just to see what kind of ridiculous super-units I have by the end of the game.

I never go into the game files, but maybe I should try this one time with Raging Barbs on just to see what kind of ridiculous super-units I have by the end of the game.

If you're interested, I believe it's in the Global Defines file.

Dromons are wonderful, and the only real reason to play as Byzantium, to be honest. Naval map, raging barbs, honor opener, just culture farm throughout the ancient and classical eras.

Kris Swordsmen open up a lot of opportunities for fun logistics.

Top Bottom