Your "Go-To" Civs

Navelgazer

King
Okay, everybody (or most people around here, at least) are crazy-excited about Venice. So am I. But this thread isn't about who looks the most interesting, or even the most powerful, or who you've been hoping/waiting for in BNW.

This is about who you actually use.

So, in Vanilla, did you have a Civ that, for whatever reasons of gameplay/flavor/simplicity/etc. just became your default, or "go-to" Civ?

Did it change with G+K?

Finally, do you expect it to change with BNW, and to who? Why?

For instance, though they were one of the weaker civs in Vanilla, and I'm not sure I even ever won with them, I always found myself starting up games with the Ottomans, simply because naval battle appeals to me and when the vanilla version of prize ships paid off it was like winning at a slot machine.

But with G+K, even though the Ottomans got a lot better, my standard shifted quickly to Carthage. I think both Inca and Netherlands are stronger civs in general, and love them both, but there's just something about REXing a bunch of coastal cities in the Ancient/Classical era and pulling in trade route gold while everyone else is spamming workers that just makes me smile.

But even with all of that, I expect it to shift to either Portugal or Indonesia in BNW, again both naval civs, both would good ways of making money/happiness. It'll just end up being which one I feel more comfortable using in the end, I guess.

I couldn't get excited about anyone's mechanics in the vanilla, and I didn't play any one more than anyone else. I'm very much a diplomatic, economical player who doesn't like to war without reason or expand much. No one combined all those elements in the vanilla.

With Gods and Kings, me and the Dutch became very close, very rich friends. I've played more games with the Dutch than any other civ. My favorite multiplayer game was a match where one player was headed inevitably toward victory. He was very large and two eras ahead of anyone in tech. Despite being small and demilitarized, I defeated him with sheer wealth. I bribed neighboring AIs into attacking him. Once he was committed to those wars, I rush-bought a fleet of sea beggars, declared war and quickly took his only oil providing city. Finally, I spent thousands buying out his city-state allies. The result? He had no oil, no luxuries. His tanks and bombers were useless and he had a massive happiness penalty. He couldn't even fight off the AI at that point and admitted defeat.

The sinews of war are infinite money. I love being a small speck on the map and manipulating the world by throwing a few coins around. Do you know who's built for that in BNW? VENICE! It works out even better since I already had a love affair with Venice for its history and culture. I can't wait to see the things I'll be able to do by combining my wealth with the new World Congress. They'll be my primary civ in singleplayer and multiplayer.

Yeah in vanilla, America and Inca were my go-to.
Didn't change too much in G&K, although Netherland became very popular in my play.
With BNW, I can almost gaurantee that The Shoshone will be my civ. The Ua and UUs feel perfect made for my play style.

Vanilla: Monty, Korea?
G+K: Sweden and the Netherlands.
BNW prediction: Brazil and Indonesia.

It speaks a lot to the design of the game that everyone is giving different answers. I never played Vanilla, but I definitely have a soft spot for Polynesia, though I'm trying to try out every different Civ. I think I may end up switching to either Indonesia or Morocco once BNW is out.

Vanilla: Egypt
GnK: Ethiopia
BNW: Probably Brazil

Vanilla: Rome/Russia
G+K: Neatherlands
BNW: Zulu

I dont know if the Zulu will be great, but i like the potential beastly army i could have in the industrial age from upgraded classical units.

Vanilla: France or Babylon
G&K: Ethiopia
BNW: Morocco/Venice

Vanilla: Russia/Denmark
GnK: Carthage/Netherlands
BNW Prediction: Poland/Portugal

I always made it a rule to mix it up, so I don't have a go to Civ. I suspect it won't be different here.

I like to win with each civ once and still haven't finished doing that yet with vanilla and G&K simply due to time restrictions with other things in life like work and all, but my favorite civs I've played are China, France and Polynesia.

From the Vanilla civs: Siam, Egypt (the latter wasn't until pretty recently).
From the DLC civs: Inca.
From the G+K civs: Ethiopia, Byzantium.

These 5 are the ones I usually play the most. In the expansion, I'll see how things play out; but Venice, Brazil and Morocco look particularly interesting.

Byzantium is probably my main go-to, because it fits my play-style pretty well and is my favourite civ historically. Siam is a close second.

EDIT: Forgot Persia. In fact, they're probably my primary go-to civ. And my favourites. I have no idea how I managed to forget them :p.

My go to civs in each game:

Vanilla: France and Russia
G&K: Greece, Songhai (and still France)
BNW: Venice, France (and possibly reworked civs), maybe Portugal

And kudos to Japan for being one of my favorites throughout the series just because.

Vanilla: Egypt/France
DLC: Korea/Babylon
G&K: Eithiopia/Dutch
BNW: Morrocco/Portugal

Vanilla: France or America
Dlc: Polynesia, France, or Inca
G+K: Etheopia, Polynesia, or France
BNW (guessing): Poland, Polynesia, Etheopia, Maybe Shoshone

Top Bottom