Your "Go-To" Civs

I tend to experiment and try to play as all civs, but if I had to pick a go to civ, they would be:

Vanilla: Japan
G+K: still experimenting. Most likely Austria/Mayans, though.
BNW: ? Portugal seems good, as does Venice for diplomacy. I'm probably most excited for Assyria, though.

Vanilla & DLC: Korea- For me science is the best of the 'yields'. In one game the world's superpower DOWed me and I was able to repel him with my small elite unit who were all more advanced than him. More science means earlier access to wonders, and like Ramesses I'm a bit of a wonder-whore. Scholars of the Jade Hall + Rationalism + Great Library= legendary.
G&K: I love Austrian history and thankfully, I also loved their UA which meant I played with them heaps when they came out. Although I'd always lol when Austria would 'marry into' city states like Sydney and Jerusalem but, some like Milan and Prague were plausible. Their UA was really malleable but often got me in trouble with Rammy and Alex.:0
BNW: I think my favourite civ will be either new France, Brazil or Poland. The new culture game looks extremely interesting and fun! And these civs have culture in mind. France and Brazil are more so, while Poland is more flexible but I'm not sure which is better...yet. :)

I usually play a civ called "random" whose name changes right after the game starts.

They must be my favorite civ, as well. Although I would use this option more often if it was possible to exclude some civs from the poll. (I dislike playing the same civ two times in a row, for example, and I rarely feel like playing a warmonger civ.)

If I had to choose, though:

Vanilla: Iroquois - I don't know why exactly but I can recall I just loved to play them when the game first came out

DLC: Babylon and Korea: I love the science game, and also being ahead in science means easier access to wonders.
Also Spain. It's a gamble but I love the NW bonus. Mount Sinai + the right Pantheon + Spain = 20 faith per turn! I would have more fun with the conquistadors though if the AI ever bothered to settle the new world on terra maps. I stopped playing Spain on terra maps because I would just snowball from renaissance onward with a whole new continent all for myself.

GnK: Maya - I find their UA extremely cool, and they have one of the best UB in the game (for me at least: again, more science and practically a guaranteed religion)

BNW: I can see myself playing Shoshone a lot because of the Pathfinder. It will be my new Spain. Also Poland because I'm Polish and their UA is extremely adaptable. And probably Indonesia because I love the "colonization" aspect of their UA and the randomness of their Kris Swordsman.

Arab in Vanilla and G&K. Will also be Arab in BNW...if Arab is not changed.

France used to be my go-to in vanilla; after the expansion came out I think I became more of an England player, although I jumped from Civ to Civ (I haven't played as any G&K Civ more than 3 times).

With BNW, I get the feeling that France will be getting a lot of love, since the new cultural game and Great Works is by far what I'm most excited about. I have high hopes for Morocco too, though.

Mine would be Egypt. The UA boost for wonder production is nice and the happiness from a burial tomb makes an empire much easier to manage when expanding.

Vanilla: Persia (Original golden Ages had +1 g and +1p on tiles, it was boss on great plains maps), or Inca (for 6 food hill tiles).
GK: Netherlands (although it took me months to give them a go).
BNW: Venice (if they shine), or Morocco.

Vanilla: nothing special: Rome, Iroquois, France, Russia, Arabia, Germany are all good
DLC: Korea
G+K: Maya

BNW: Assyria

Vanilla: France
DLC: Korea
GK: Siam, Austria, Sweden, The Huns
BNW: Portugal, Morocco, Venice and maybe Brazil

Vanilla: Greece, Spain and Babylon
G&K: The Netherlands and Byzantines
BNW: Most likely Portugal and Venice

Surprised to see so much love for the Netherlands, I recall a lot of topics in which people were saying that it was such a horrible civ. They were obviously wrong but I didn't expect so many people to appreciate the civ.

Vanilla, I always found myself going back to France.
G&K, I really enjoyed Netherlands and Austria.
Of the new ones, I suspect Shoshone will be a favorite, as I love getting ruins. Picking my reward will be icing on the cake. (Really hate getting locations of barb encampments).
I do wonder if France will be as much fun for me to play, now that they have changed it. I loved the bonus culture. Can't wait to find out!

Japan. I have always played as Japan. I find their history, culture, and politics to be really facinating, so I've always been drawn to them. And I'm one of those people that tends to find something he likes, then stick with it. I'll try a couple of the new Civs in BNW, but I'm more excited to play against them than as them.

Vanilla: Beat the game on Chieftain with the Iriquois, then flailed around aimlessly and got frustrated.
G&K: Beat the game on Warlord with the Japanese, then flailed around and lost repeatedly on Prince.
BNW: Gonna start right out with the Shoshone. Those abilities should help me get started in the early game better, and hopefully I can figure out what I was doing wrong all this time. :sad:

Top Bottom