@Zappara / Afforess: Civ 5 Modding Suggestion

Arkatakor

King
As an avid Civ4 player when patch 3.19 came out I read comments about ROM for the first time and how players who were into it never played vanilla anymore. Hence I gave it a shot and have also since then, never looked back.

I often say to players that they have not played Civ4 if they have not played ROM + AND. This mod has so much depth and so many techs that the tech tree that was shown for a few seconds video demo of Civ5 seemed laughable by comparison. Hence I am theorizing that Civ5 will not have as much impact on me as it would if I had not played ROM, due to the sheer amount of content that ROM has.

Hence I would like to state the following suggestion for Zappara's / Afforess; Players like myself would be perfectly contented if you recycle a lot of the ideas (techs / units / religions (non existent in civ5)) if you start modding for Civ5. While I am sure there will be plenty of new ideas spawned from mechanics specific to civ5 the point I want to make is that there is no point in re-inventing the wheel for what already works in terms of ideas and content (ROM + AND).

I would be happy to see a lot of the same techs / units that ROM + AND had in civ5 and do not mind to see even up to 70% of the ROM+AND content recycled. Am just looking forward to faster end turns with the new engine they are coming out with. I particularly hope that you will be implementing religions with the same unique benefits that they had in ROM.

If RoM/AND had faster turn calculations and no MAF / OOS problems in multiplayer then it'd be perfection and not possible to surpass.

If RoM/AND had faster turn calculations and no MAF / OOS problems in multiplayer then it'd be perfection and not possible to surpass.
Exactly. Thats why there is no need to re-invent the wheel for what is already near perfection. I am sure that like myself, you would not have a problem with simply having this MOD imported as is, directly to Civ5. Unfortunately due to some new mechanics of civ5 (notably the 1 unit per tile) it would not be possible. But lets wait and see.

Here is hoping that most of the content in ROM can remain intact for a future civ5 mod.

@Arkatakor

I felt the same way when I first time played Civ 4 - it just didn't have enough content / depth for me. I had been playing Civ 3: Double Your Pleasure and later Rise and Rule mods that improved the game so much. Because Civ 4 didn't compare to those mods, I decided to make my own mod and so was RoM born. :)

Much of the content will be transferred from Civ 4: RoM to Civ 5: RoM... how much? We'll just have to see Civ 5 first and play it for a while. It has taken 3.5 years to get RoM this far so I imagine it will take a lot of time to do the same on Civ 5 as well - though the process will probably be faster since I don't have to research historical timelines so much anymore (first RoM tech tree took 6-7 months to make and initial RoM release was in about 9 months after I had started modding). This time I don't have to do all the stuff myself from scratch as there's many RoM modmodders who most likely are eager to help in Civ 5 modding. There's also whole bunch of ideas that were discarded when making RoM just because the engine wasn't versatile enough to handle them or I didn't know a good way to implement them so maybe we'll see some new features in Civ 5: RoM ;)

I'm certain that Civ 4: RoM will be played for long time - I know I will :)

@Zappara

@Arkatakor

I felt the same way when I first time played Civ 4 - it just didn't have enough content / depth for me. I had been playing Civ 3: Double Your Pleasure and later Rise and Rule mods that improved the game so much. Because Civ 4 didn't compare to those mods, I decided to make my own mod and so was RoM born. :)
Its a pity I did not get into trying mods before civ4 - but I can totally see where you came from. Hence civ5 is most likely gonna feel shallow compare to ROM + AND. This is not because the firaxis devs are not competent but unlike modders, they have deadlines to deal with so they can only focus on so much content.

Much of the content will be transferred from Civ 4: RoM to Civ 5: RoM... how much? We'll just have to see Civ 5 first and play it for a while.
I am glad to hear this. Indeed the first step will involve playing civ5 for a while - there will be some new concepts that may be improved upon specific to civ5. Some of the new concepts will likely be incompatible with civ 4: RoM.

It has taken 3.5 years to get RoM this far so I imagine it will take a lot of time to do the same on Civ 5 as well - though the process will probably be faster since I don't have to research historical timelines so much anymore (first RoM tech tree took 6-7 months to make and initial RoM release was in about 9 months after I had started modding). This time I don't have to do all the stuff myself from scratch as there's many RoM modmodders who most likely are eager to help in Civ 5 modding.
The bolded part was exactly what I was talking about; There is no point in re-inventing the wheel by coming up with an entirely new tech tree. The tech tree in current RoM is near perfect. I think I speak for a lot of us mod players here when I say that we are not expecting you to come up with a new tech tree just because we are playing a different game. As you said, people will be playing Civ4 + RoM for years to come - the only thing that would make me switch to a Civ5 version of RoM would be equal content with the faster end turns thanks to firaxis new engine.

I dont know if firaxis engine will support it but personally it would be great to see religions re-introduced with less diplomatic bonus whilst keeping the unique traits each religion RoM had. Its those unique religious that traits added a whole new level of depth and strategy to the game.

I think modding for civ5 will be a lot faster, especially if you get people to help you out. I am glad that firaxis embraced modding and have made it easier (or so they said) for people to mod civ5. Again we all hope you can stick to Civ + RoM as much as possible :)

Top Bottom