1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

@Zappara / Afforess: Civ 5 Modding Suggestion

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Arkatakor, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Arkatakor

Arkatakor King

@Zappara / Afforess: Civ 5 Modding Suggestion

As an avid Civ4 player when patch 3.19 came out I read comments about ROM for the first time and how players who were into it never played vanilla anymore. Hence I gave it a shot and have also since then, never looked back.

I often say to players that they have not played Civ4 if they have not played ROM + AND. This mod has so much depth and so many techs that the tech tree that was shown for a few seconds video demo of Civ5 seemed laughable by comparison. Hence I am theorizing that Civ5 will not have as much impact on me as it would if I had not played ROM, due to the sheer amount of content that ROM has.

Hence I would like to state the following suggestion for Zappara's / Afforess; Players like myself would be perfectly contented if you recycle a lot of the ideas (techs / units / religions (non existent in civ5)) if you start modding for Civ5. While I am sure there will be plenty of new ideas spawned from mechanics specific to civ5 the point I want to make is that there is no point in re-inventing the wheel for what already works in terms of ideas and content (ROM + AND).

I would be happy to see a lot of the same techs / units that ROM + AND had in civ5 and do not mind to see up to 70% of the content recycled. Am just looking forward to faster end turns with the new engine they are coming out with. I particularly hope that you will be implementing religions with the same unique benefits that they had in ROM.

2. The Exile

The Exile Tiesto Fan

And making the game more realistic by bringing in religion and eliminating that infuriating "ranged bombardment".

3. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I like the idea behind it, the only problem is if you look at ROM and AND it is made of lots of smaller components and very little except the combilation of it is actually made by Zappara or Afforess. Plus the wheel propably has to be invented again as it is new programming language and new xml content and likely new graphics as well.
    But I agree: Alot of the content in RoM and AND works!

4. dudeSDCA

dudeSDCA Prince

I think if we were to get a copy of the Civ5 Civilopedia (leaked or early release) or something like that, it would make a huge dent in the initial design, allowing us to propose which techs to add in, units, buildings, etc.

So if anyone get's a copy, let us know :)

5. Arkatakor

Arkatakor King

By saying there was no need to re-invent the wheel I was referring to the content and ideas that are included in ROM + AND. I get the feeling that a lot of us are happy with the current content in ROM + AND hence none of us would mind seeing the majority of those ideas recycled. Yes, technically porting ROM to Civ5 is anything but a copy and paste; the whole thing would have to be redone from the ground up. Here is hoping though,that most of the ideas in ROM + AND will be recycled.

6. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

I think i understand what you mean, and I agree that rom and is the best combilation/mod out there. But both is constructed of 10's (maybe 100's) of minimods/graphics made over the years for Civ4 by an equal amount of different modders. I very much suspect/fear that NONE of these minimods/graphics will work for Civ5, which means that even though the idea is out there it will take 1000's of hours to "reconstruct" it for Civ5, as of right now there are 0 mods available for Civ5.
    So... would I rather see a reconstruction of Rom/AND rather that innovative designs only possible in the Civ5 world. IMHO it would be a waste of time for Zappara and Afforess to recreate ROM/AND. I was hoping more for TOM and TND (Totally overhauled Mod and The New Design) ;)

7. os79

os79 Deity

Let's wait for Civ5 first, OK? I have the feeling that this community here already learned and understood many, many mistakes that we made together on this mod. So we should be more smart after we play few Civ5 games or so and able to slowly and carefully mod up back to RoM:AND level of complexity but always keeping AI very strongly in mind, y'know? If we discover that animal units actually work for AI in Civ5, we will include them. If not for whatever reasons, then they will be out. Etc, etc, etc.

Important thing is that we will be fine AFTER we get to play Civ5 games for first few months or so. I'm very confident of you, folk :D.

8. Arrorn

Arrorn Chieftain

I'm not that sure about us being "smart"er...

"You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public."
    -Scott Adams

or about us being fine...

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something that is completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
    -Douglass Adams

But I do have to agree with you on one point....

Seriously wait until Civ 5 actually comes out.... it hasn't even gone gold yet!