Zoom To Cursor (Thank you Firaxis!)

@Zhahz

The problem is that in civ5 they appear to be completely separate views, just like they were in civ4 as well. That means there's bound to be lag in switching between the two. Galciv2, as I understand it, still was the same view but stopped rendering the units and covered them with icons? This probably made it easier for the transition to be smoother.

I can understand wanting that in civ5, but I don't think it's going to happen. In civ4 it was technically called the globe view, and the strategy layer was just one of the ways to use globe view. It was the one where you could draw lines and place signposts.

Supreme Commander also had the automatic strategic view, but again, it wasn't really a separate view, but just placing 2d icons over where the units were but on the same 3d map.

I'm very happy that you can disable it.

Actually, as I think about it more, I'm guessing that the bit you can disable is only the sticking to the cursor on zoom-out. After all, that is how the option is described. It's possible that zoom to cursor is permanently enabled. Zooming out is the one that is more problematic though. In fact I think in Supreme Commander, it was stick to cursor for zooming in, but don't stick for zooming out. That was actually the best combination IMO. It meant that you could scroll the map by literally not moving the mouse but only moving the scroll wheel back and forth.

So zoom-out centered on cursor is optional, while zoom-in centered on cursor is forced, from what I can tell.

With both zoom in and out being centered on cursor, scrolling the wheel up and down would not scroll the map.

Zoom to cursor is awesome!
First time i saw it with supreme commander and i loved it!

Thanks for taking up this cause for those of us who don't even know what we're missing, PoM! Never used but can already see how useful it will be. Drag scroll is very welcome as well!

It's always nice to see new simple revolutionary concepts become commonplace.

I absolutely love Zoom to Cursor, but I find that I don't use it at all in CivV. Why? Because you don't get to zoom back far enough for it to be a meaningfulway to move the map. After zooming out you still have to pa to get to where you want, and then it's just faster to use the minimap after all :(

Hehe, I actually hate zoom to cursor, and since the alternate zoom only works with zooming out (which makes no sense) I'm stuck with it for zooming in, for now. I particularly dislike it when I'm in the city screen and trying to zoom in on a improvement. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but it's not that amazing to me :)

Hehe, I actually hate zoom to cursor, and since the alternate zoom only works with zooming out (which makes no sense) I'm stuck with it for zooming in, for now. I particularly dislike it when I'm in the city screen and trying to zoom in on a improvement. I'm sure I'll get use to it, but it's not that amazing to me :)

Actually I agree with you that ztc should be disabled in the city screen (i.e. the camera should be anchored/centered on the city tile). As it is you can use it (ztc) in the city screen to move the camera to the other side of the world. This is the sort of thing I'd suggest QA testers completely missed.

(By the way, yes I realise this is an old thread :lol:) :bump:

Top Bottom