News: SGOTM 13 - Napoleon's Revenge - Signup Thread

I'm positive on unallocated players forming a new team. That's basically what happened with Who Dat. We put together a respectable showing in our first game (SGOTM 9) and got better and better from there.

I agree with Fluro on all accounts. I wouldn't want to have more than 8 on FE. 7 is really the perfect size for my taste. I doubt the larger teams (10+) are going to be excited about splitting up into more teams though so that new teams can have some experience.

We should be looking to encourage new players on these games. Is any team so big that it will not accept new players to SGOTM because they are too cosy with friends or players they know? Where does the SGOTM go if we start to exclude new players?

I certainly don't think PR should be split because of its size. 9 of our last team signed up again this time. We have certainly been very successful at retaining and recruiting new players for the SGOTM. I expect perhaps 8-9 active players long term.

If you want more teams here is an idea. From the start appoint 15-16 team captains and let them recruit players at the start of the SGOTM. There are plenty of players on this forum if you look hard enough. Split up the best players from the start!! Really spice it up!

Overall I think divide up players on the smaller teams or bring in a great leader for the new team.

I would put the unallocated into a single team. The players are much more likely to be involved as part of a new team rather than trying to join an established team.

Gumbolt said:
Is any team so big that it will not accept new players to SGOTM because they are too cosy with friends or players they know?
Please don't mix those issues. We are talking team size. I think it is perfectly valid to prefer a not too big team, regardless of who it consists of. I would not like only playing every 9th turnset, and I would fear for the level of participation from those who are not close to "up" (including myself).

I'd be very happy if one or two experienced SGOTM players would volunteer to step out of their established team slot and help a new team to develop. However, I am not hopeful of that happening, as you all seem very set in your existing groups.

I have no intention of discouraging *any* new players - new stars have to rise from somewhere. We do have some skilled players in the unallocated group, I see several Immortal and Emperor players. So even if no one steps up to provide them with some SGOTM smarts, I am with beestar and Fluroscent. I'd like them to try to build a new team.

So I propose to stick with the lists we have. All the teams are at least big enough to survive, even US!

I'll leave it 24 hours and see if anyone wants to jump ship to help the new team. If that happens, we can adjust numbers if required. Please let me know ...

im fine either way! already set up a test game, and have some good plans for the first 30-40 turns.. god i wish i had more time!

Lets get it on!

btw, just becouse of tradition, i would love it if our team was called Yellow Sun!
When do the team Forums open?

btw, just becouse of tradition, i would love it if our team was called Yellow Sun!
When do the team Forums open?

That's what the 24 hours is for. If we are all OK with this team structure tomorrow, I'll open the threads and you can start getting to know each other, and agree on your team name. Sounds like you are off to a good start :thumbsup:

I think that put the unallocated players on a brand new team is a good idea.

Looking at their (claimed) skill level they seem in good shape.

FE are ok as they are. The nicks are correctly spelled, just to answer to a question you usually ask.

My sense from multiple SGs is that there are a couple of types of players: those that like the group experience of playing for fun without a lot of meticulous attention to MM and other details and those that like the group experience of all players dynamically working to be on the same page to achieve a synergy and an optimal result. I know for sure that I prefer the second and find nothing more unpleasurable than having a team member who makes little effort to be on the same page. This is far more important to me than the skill level of a particular player. How could MW ever win with Erkon otherwise...? :)

So to me, a relevant question for the unallocated players would be, what type of SG experience are you looking for?

For the future, maybe a good question to add to the usual list of sign-up questions would be "your goal for the SG experience?"

@LC
You can have both: have fun and be (or try to be) competitive.

My experience is that often having in the team good players with a completely different approach to the team work is worse than having decent players with the same attitude about the discussion and the gaming.

Not knowing them personally, i must refer to their skills.

BTW, a great solo player formerly in FE (no names), demonstrated to be less than decent in SGs.

@LC
You can have both: have fun and be (or try to be) competitive.
I agree. :) I tried hard to find a way to describe both types without implying the opposite. :blush:

To paraphrase Obormot, having fun is fun, having fun and winning is more fun.

Some principles for building good teams:
1. Follow the key brainstorming principle: Never criticize anyone's ideas. (Instead study, test, and learn from them.)
2. Have a good leader. (Erkon was the best of the best, so ask him how he did it.)
3. Study the SG2 CFR thread for basic principles on how to play a good opening and then keep the peddle to the metal throughout the game.
4. Try to foresee how the scenario might unfold, by testing MM, playing test games to their conclusion, etc. You're looking for unexpected stuff, like not being able to scrub friendly AIs' fallout.
5. The klarius Principle: No matter what just happened, no matter what you were expecting to happen, start each turnset anew, ready to turn your previous strategy on its head, if necessary.
6. When in doubt, interrupt your turnset immediately and discuss.

Edit: Sorry, AlanH, not trying to go off-topic. Just thought this might be helpful for some new to SGs.
.​

As one of the "Unallocated", I would definetely prefer an experienced team captain. I often play Civ games with my brother. From time to time we have to take an hour-long break just to discuss the current situation and adjust our plan. I assume SGOTM works along the same lines, but I don't really know, since I've never played one before. An experienced team captain could guide the discussion, or start one if new players don't know when to start one. Maybe the discussion and play assignments would work smoothly even without an experienced team captein, but to me it sounds like a risk I would prefer to avoid.

-jj-

As one of the "Unallocated", I would definetely prefer an experienced team captain. I often play Civ games with my brother. From time to time we have to take an hour-long break just to discuss the current situation and adjust our plan. I assume SGOTM works along the same lines, but I don't really know, since I've never played one before. An experienced team captain could guide the discussion, or start one if new players don't know when to start one. Maybe the discussion and play assignments would work smoothly even without an experienced team captein, but to me it sounds like a risk I would prefer to avoid.

-jj-

Perhaps you should check out an old thread (linked above) to see what kind of things might get discussed. Some teams will set rules for when the current player has to initiate discussion, too.

Top Bottom