Storm Over Europe (SOE)

About the loading of units:

Playing as Germany, and I can't load my tanks into Tank Battalions. Also, I can't seem to load anything into my transport ships. Do the later units have the "load" box checked, or am I missing something?

yeah ive noticed the load issue as well. playing as britain for a few turns i noticed that sometimes my carrier based aircraft would get stuck in the middle of the sea because i couldnt reload them onto the carriers. similarly, playing as germany, i couldnt load up the Ju-52's with paratroopers, infantry regiments, or infantry divisions.

It´s a pity that the SOE civilopedia is far away from beeing very useful for understanding the game. Yes Gosnork, you missed something: The different unit sizes for infantry (regiments with 2 HPs and divisions with 6 HPs) and tanks (tank company with 2 HPs and tank bataillons with 6 HPs). Most transport ships at start can only transport infantry regiments = riflemen (so for the oldest steam transport this setting was forgotten and must be readjusted). It would be too easy for Germany to use the two preplaced troop transports, fill them up with many 6 HP-units and to steamroll the Scandinavian 2 HP-units in Denmark and Norway. Of course the same is true for tank units at the start of the game. Ships that can transport tanks (company size) come later in the game.

The same with tank bataillons. You can load a normal sized tank (a company) into a bataillon and by doing this, can upgrade a 2 HP tank unit with the additional 4 HPs of the army-unit to a 6 HP tank bataillon, but you can´t upgrade a preplaced 6 HP tank bataillon to a tank bataillon (what would be a nonsense in itself) with 8 HPs.

The Ju-52 has a conflict in its loading flags that must be fixed with the next biq. Thank you for reporting this error. :)

There is a special setting of flags for SOE planes, that prevent planes, that didn´t operate from carriers, to operate from carriers in SOE. So King Coltrane, can you please post, what planes had the problem that they can´t be loaded on carriers and if they did start from carriers what carriers were not be able to let them land (so the flags of these units can be controlled by me).

Also, some of the buttons may be off. specifically, airlift is currently the old railroad to button.

As you can see with the buttons, nearly all settings possible for C3C were tested, even the use of teleporters and low-capacity railroads. The normal buttons can easily be reactivated by renaming in the Art\Interface folder the file "NormButtonsold" back to "NormButtons".

Out of curiosity though, why do air units have such high stats when compared to ships, land units etc? i assume it's to help the AI build them, but im just curious.

The unit stats of the first testversions of SOE had some serious problems, so we got the permission by Rocoteh to use the unit stats of WW2 Global for the playtesting of SOE. Later the stats for land- and seaunits were set to the new stats and the plane stats remained on the old settings as they were the last to be changed. Suddenly I noticed -as you guessed- that the AI had a tendency to build huge airforces, what was a problem in many other mods. So I only modified the WW2 Global settings for the SOE planes in the sections, where they directly influence each other: That is mostly all having to do with bombing and the range. The rest did stay.

I think the NW is too lightly defended at start. granted, Germany shouldnt be steamrolling the netherlands and belgium right off the bat, but as it stands, germany doesnt have enough units in the region to effectively counter an attack by those 2 powers. the german/french border is well fortified, but its tough to hold on in the NW for a turn or 2 until reinforcements arrive, especially with 2 move artillery capable of beating the garrisons.

The North of Germany can be hold, if it is defended properly. To say you here exactly what to do, would kill some fun for you, so I don´t do it here. But it is not too dificult. :)

I was trying to put 2 HP tanks into the battalions, but It didn't work. Specifically Panzer III and Panzer IV. I did notice a Russian tank battalion, so I guess their's is working just fine.

I was trying to put 2 HP tanks into the battalions, but It didn't work. Specifically Panzer III and Panzer IV. I did notice a Russian tank battalion, so I guess their's is working just fine.

Gosnork, for the German tankbataillon you are right. There is a conflict with the loading flags of that unit (the same as with the Ju-52), that will be fixed with the next version of the SOE-betatest biq and there will also be soon a patch for all errors that were reported here at CFC, at the SOC site and at Civfr about the mainfile. Thank you very much for reporting this error. :)

Hey, sorry about the delay. ive had lots of work the past few days.

As for the NW of germany: you were right. it wasnt so bad. i did sadly lose bremen for a turn but i managed to both get it back right away and rebase all planes and ships in time so i only lost that one garrison unit. no big deal. if the turn times werent so long id try again with a slightly modified strategy and im sure all would be fine. no worries.

as for the british carrier issues:

one group i had the issue with was the Hermes (south of southhampton) and the fairey swordfish mk1.

The other was the Ark Royal (west of scapa flow) and (probably) the fairey swordfish there as well, though it could possibly be the blackburn skua. i doubt it is the latter based on the same problem happening with the fairey and the Hermes.

checking the pedia, the swordfish i has the load, rebase, and immobile flags checked (which is good), as does the blackburn skua, but the confusing thing is that both the hermes and ark royal have the carries only aircraft and unload flags checked... ie i dont see the problem in the editor. im not sure what im missing, but i know those were the two problem areas. this weekend ill fire up the save and see if its still an issue

This scenario looks great, but you have one mistake there. Slovak State (cities Bratislava and Kosice in scenario) wasn't part of German teritory, It was staelite state like Hungary or Romunia. So you should make Slovak State as a next civilization in scenario. Thanks...

One more time thank you all very much for your input in developing SOE. Together with the reports of civers at the SOC site and at theFrench Civfr site your help and some observations I made myself allow to publish soon the new biq SOE betatest v1.2 with many fixes of errors you reported. :)

Hey, sorry about the delay. ive had lots of work the past few days.

As for the NW of germany: you were right. it wasnt so bad. i did sadly lose bremen for a turn but i managed to both get it back right away and rebase all planes and ships in time so i only lost that one garrison unit. no big deal. if the turn times werent so long id try again with a slightly modified strategy and im sure all would be fine. no worries.

as for the british carrier issues:

one group i had the issue with was the Hermes (south of southhampton) and the fairey swordfish mk1.

The other was the Ark Royal (west of scapa flow) and (probably) the fairey swordfish there as well, though it could possibly be the blackburn skua. i doubt it is the latter based on the same problem happening with the fairey and the Hermes.

checking the pedia, the swordfish i has the load, rebase, and immobile flags checked (which is good), as does the blackburn skua, but the confusing thing is that both the hermes and ark royal have the carries only aircraft and unload flags checked... ie i dont see the problem in the editor. im not sure what im missing, but i know those were the two problem areas. this weekend ill fire up the save and see if its still an issue

Thank you very much for the details King Coltrane. :) I will have a look in the setting of these units. If you will start a new game this weekend, you should wait for the new SOE biq Beta 1.2 with many fixes, even for errors that were not reported here.

This scenario looks great, but you have one mistake there. Slovak State (cities Bratislava and Kosice in scenario) wasn't part of German teritory, It was staelite state like Hungary or Romunia. So you should make Slovak State as a next civilization in scenario. Thanks...

Thank you very much for your kind words, but the early betatest version of SOE has more then one mistake. :D I´m sorry, but at present no Slovak State is planned in SOE. Every new civ slows down gameplay. In fact, I reflected for some time even to disolve all Axis civs and only to have an Axis civ for reasons of gamespeed and gameplay. This was not done because of the existing special leaderheads, that were done by jorde for SOE and cause of the many units, that were done by Wyrmshadow and W.i.n.t.e.r. for Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria.

Exists there an animated leaderhead for the Slovak State of that time?

WoW! How delightful to see such a masterpiece !
This is way I still come here to continue to play the one and only CIvilization3:)

I start with my russian game and perhaps my computer is a bit old since it takes almost an hour
between the turns. I'm wondering what about disable trade overseas? Since that would prob make the game faster and trade seems less importent for the game play.

Also this happend to me when I finished building the wonder 5yearplan.
"art\wonder splash\5_Year_Plan.pcx =file not found.

I'm going to get me a new computer so I may continue play this great Scenario that you put so much love into.

Cheers!:)

Woah! Do my eyes decieve me? Congratulations to everyone who worked on the SOE project. Looks like your efforts have finally come to fruition! :goodjob:

I can't wait to play, but with a 1 hour first turn I'll probably need to try it out on the weekend. :eek:

EDIT: I especially like the idea of transparent cities. Ingenious way of preventing city style from changing with conquest!

WoW! How delightful to see such a masterpiece !
This is way I still come here to continue to play the one and only CIvilization3:)

I start with my russian game and perhaps my computer is a bit old since it takes almost an hour
between the turns. I'm wondering what about disable trade overseas? Since that would prob make the game faster and trade seems less importent for the game play.

Also this happend to me when I finished building the wonder 5yearplan.
"art\wonder splash\5_Year_Plan.pcx =file not found.

I'm going to get me a new computer so I may continue play this great Scenario that you put so much love into.

Cheers!:)

Civ3Monki, welcome at CFC. :band:[party]

Thank you very much for reporting the error with the wondersplash for the 5yearplan and the Russian Mobilisation. :) The correct pediaicons entry for the 5yearplan-splash is 5yp and for the Russian Mobilisation-Splash Mobilsiation. This weekend a new SOE betatest biq and a patch that fixes these errors will be published.

As posted in the SOE Betatest Introduction (post 1 of this thread), the first AI turns of SOE are very long (about one hour), but after mobilising the many hundreds of immobile units with the entry of Italy in WW2 are getting significantly shorter (about 5 minutes). So you don´t have to buy a new pc. :)

Overseas trade is moste disabled in SOE.

Woah! Do my eyes decieve me? Congratulations to everyone who worked on the SOE project. Looks like your efforts have finally come to fruition! :goodjob:

I can't wait to play, but with a 1 hour first turn I'll probably need to try it out on the weekend. :eek:

EDIT: I especially like the idea of transparent cities. Ingenious way of preventing city style from changing with conquest!

Hi Gary Childress, a special big welcome to you in this thread! :beer:

I especially like your steam tractor that you have resized for us and now has a very important role in SOE. :) May be you have noticed, that you are in the credits list of SOE.

This weekend I will post the new SOE betatest biq v1.2. I think this could be a good start for you. :)

Small things:
-Funchal should be Portuguese territory, not Spanish :(
-Angro de Heroism -> Angra do Heroísmo
-Ponta Delgado -> Ponta Delgada

RickFGS, this is too late for the SOE Betatest biq 1.2, but it will be the first things I note for the next SOE betatest biq. Thank you very much for reporting it. :)

SOE-Patch 1 and SOE Betatest biq v1.2 are now ready for download.

A special thank you very much for reporting errors, glitches and improvements that allowed the following SOE-Patch 1 and the SOE Betatest-biq v1.2 to:

texastarheel , Sasebo, nexus, Gosnork and King Coltrane.

Changes and Fixes in patch 1 and SOE betatest biq v1.2:

Game-Concepts:

Holland and Belgium in alliance with UK/US and France
German starting point near Stavanger (Norway) installed
France: Conflict in government with players setting fixed
Polnish ships at British coast removed
Gap in border-terrain at Stanislowo/Tarnopol closed

Graphics:

New Resource file (with Operation Weserübung resource)
Interface: NormButtons and rolloverbuttons: fixed
Wonder splash: Bletchley Park: fixed
Wonder splash: 5 Year Plan: fixed
Wonder splash: Rosie The Riveter: fixed
Wonder splash: Russian Mobilisation: fixed

Buildings:

Autoproduction of British battleships fixed
French Chasseurs Alpines school: Now preplaced SW
Operation Weserübung: Two preplaced German airbases in Norway
"Spying buildings": Enabled, but still need balancing

B049 Hawker Sea Fury: InI fixed
American LST U075: Spelling fixed
Colossus_CVL_Class : Spelling fixed
G120_Focke-Wulf Ta-400: Spelling fixed
all AA guns: Intercept option removed
German seaplanes: Upgrade path and needed reources fixed
Conflict in loading-flags for Ju-52 and German tankbat. fixed
Unit Z008 Auxilary Cruiser: Set to Improved Light Cruiser
Letal land-bombardement removed from all kind of battleships
Graphical obsolete G084_DKM_Gneisenau_Class disabled
Irritating option to carry float planes disabled
Units stats for F003_Dewotine-520 improved
Heavy cruisers have 1 HP
Carriers have 1 HP
Recon-missions from carriers disabled
More planes have recon-mission enabled

Last edited:
So if I understand this correctly, *I* just need the patch and the new BIQ file, not the whole main file? Because that was one big file! :lol: Alos, BOOOOO! why did you take the recon ability from carriers? I didn't even know they had it, since none of the civs I played had one.:p I'm joking of course, I don't think it will make a big difference, and with more planes having the ability it should all work out. I don't know about other players, but I build and use recon planes a LOT; I got into the habit in WW2 Global, where it is a really big deal for some nations(i.e. Japan). Incidentally, I've always wondered; if a plane has both the recon mission and Detect Invisible flagged, does that mean they can see subs with the Recon mission? I once talked Rocoteh into including a recon plane in one of the early versions, but he dropped it from later ones because he didn't see it being used much. If it could spot subs you bet I would use it! :D

I am really into that Hegemon scenario right now, but as promised I will try a game as Finland with the new files.

So if I understand this correctly, *I* just need the patch and the new BIQ file, not the whole main file? Because that was one big file! :lol:

Yes Sasebo, the patch was made to avoid a time-consuming reload of the SOE mainfile.

Incidentally, I've always wondered; if a plane has both the recon mission and Detect Invisible flagged, does that mean they can see subs with the Recon mission? I once talked Rocoteh into including a recon plane in one of the early versions, but he dropped it from later ones because he didn't see it being used much. If it could spot subs you bet I would use it! :D

As far as I know, the combination of recon-mission and see invisible is possible for planes, but it only works, if you exactly hit the tile with the submarine in it. It doesn´t work for the cluster around the tile that is triggered for the recon-mission.

Still working on my Germany game, although it sucks that I can't use panzerbattalions until I start a new game. Things are progressing well. The Western powers put up a scrappy fight and really pressed the attack. Like King Coltrane, I lost a city, but that didn't last long. Excellent choice to have the French armor broken down to the smallest level, as it best represents their poor deployment in relation to their opponent. As in WW2 global, I set up ME-109 traps to goad in the British bombers to thin their numbers. I'm guessing that late in the game they will be autoproduced like mad but for now I've wrecked 'em. The Fall of France and the Low Countries was right on time- May and June, although I'm still mopping up Marseilles and all that in late '40.

The conquest of Denmark has taken forever, mostly because I've been neglecting them. Finally finished them off in October 1940. The invasion of Norway is a disaster. I'll do better next time, but my forces were real beat up and had a lot of units wiped out. Once I had the ability to airlift, I took the Gebirgs troops out for use elsewhere and sent in a ton of artillery. Hopefully I can take Oslo finally and finish the job.

There's a lot of tradeoff in the Atlantic. I've lost a bunch of subs and destroyers, but have sent 6 British battleships, 2 battlecruisers, and two french BBs to the bottom. I've got my warships in the Channel and am using them to bombard Portsmouth. Not sure why, but it's very hard to damage aircraft on their airfields. I suppose it has to do with the high aircraft A/D values versus the low bombard values (2 or 3). Also, I have no idea how Sea Lion works. I didn't see any wonder in the Civilopedia using the special resource, and of course I'm still using v 1.1 so transports are a no-go.

The real gains have been in the East. If you're going to leave holes in the line, I'm going to exploit them. :) After Poland, I starting forces my way through the open sections and seized Minsk and Kiev. This caught the Soviet troops in a nice pocket. As the war in the West wound down, I could use more of my aircraft in the East. Because the Red Air Force can still defend cities, I use the Luftwaffe similar to how I used it in WW2 Global. That is, I use fast tank forces to concentrate only on cities, and therefore destroy their planes on the ground. With the culture border under control, I can then pound all their forces in the field with HE-111s and Ju-88s, before finishing them off with Stukas. It's especially nice of the Russians to oblige this method by sending all their high value rocket launchers and artillery units into bogs and forests where I can pick them off. At the end of 1940 I got Smolensk, and will have Odessa next turn. I'm not sure how much they have in Moskva but I'm going to make a dash for it. I got to get these guys quick 'cause I'm sure you gave them some nasty surprises like Siberian Wonders at the end of 1941.

Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I love the game. Even better than WW2 Global (which is excellent in its own right) because you've added all the special wonders that give everyone a historical variety of stuff. The battleship wonders are particularly nice, with their perfectly timed expiration. Looking forward to the civilopedia to be done to clear up on some of the game concepts. Also, why are the tank units company/battalion instead of battalion/regiment? Just curious, since my panzer companies (maybe, what 22 tanks?) are wiping out infantry regiments of thousands of men. I knew that German tankers were good but sheesh.

Great job and looking forward to more updates.

You know I probably shouldn't play this one, I clocked turn two as Finland and it took about 1 hr and 45 minutes. I know it will get better, but those early turns on my old computer is a bad combination. Though I have read 4 books waiting on turns. :lol:

Just a few notes so far. I see Finland is marked as skipping the first turn, while Russia is not, which basically sent my navy to the bottom. Possibly consider setting russia to miss the first turn, and letting the axis nations move? Or move those ships into a port or out of reach somehow. On the other hand, they did sink a few ships as they died, and they distracted most of the Russian air the first turn.

What an awful starting position. :p The Russian cracked the line north of Lake Ladoga in two places, and destroyed the first line of defense and killed a division on the second line south of it. If they come at me seriously there is no way I can hold them off, and those garrison units for the cities north of Ladoga are pitiful. Oh, and the generic artillery and 105 Howitzer don't have the stealth attacks flagged, is that intentional?

I did manage to kill a few units in defense, and attacked with my artillery out of the Mannerheim line, since I figured the Red artillery would only pick me off anyway if I waited. There are three badly damaged Red Infantry divisions that won't bother anyone any more. ;)

The only navy I have left is the two ships named Louhi, isn't that the name of an evil witch or something? :mischief: I put almost all of my fighters on air defense, and not one of them managed to intercept a single red air unit; just a really bad turn. They destroyed the road between Helsinki and Vyborg because I had a single HP antitank unit on it. You would think I would have remembered that little trick of theirs from the last game

On the AI front the Germans took Stavanger and Groningen, and several cities in Poland, though they lost Koln to the Belgians. Two of those Polish cities, Poznan and Krakow had a graphic bug similar to the one in the Hegemon scenario I encountered the other day, only instead of a black background for the city, it looks like a blue spangled one. I am guessing the cities shrank from combat losses, and the walls PCX file is wrong somehow.

So those gaps in the previous version near Lwow and Breste were not intended? What tech or units would be required for units to pass over that? The only ones I recall being able to move over it were the Gebirgs units.

The only problem with this is that I have to wait until tomorrow to download it... I'm on holidays then and I don't see me getting much sleep!!!!

AT LAST, the SOE closing on the finish line (I hope)
I had an urge of nostalgia seeing this master piece once again being published. I rushed to find my old backups and yes there it was dated sometime end 2003 beginning 2004. MAN, can one believe this it has been more than EIGHT years since the modname SOE first appeared on Civ3.
In those days it was on a different forum I recall, but my mind eludes me on the name of that forum.

Looking at those ole units and now these new ones really scares me how far folks like you guys (who created units and the mod) have come. The brilliance on how Civ3 has been tweaked far beyond that anyone could have guessed 7-10 years when unitcreations and modding was good (indeed) but not even close to these new creations.

Getting SOE on the finish line is IMHO was of the really GREAT achievements in Civ3 history. A true milestone and I can only sit back and enjoy my retirement in R/L thanks to you guys.
I have been waiting for those 8 years to get the SOE to take up my time. I just hope my old PC can run the full game ;-)

I salute all of you guys that made this and of course the unit creators that supplied the basic foundation on which this mod is resting.

Just encountered an error:

Art\Units\I011 Piaggio P-108\I011 Piaggio P-108.INI

The files are named I011 Piaggio 180, easy fix

Anyways, I'm in October 42 as Germany in my second game. It took a long time for Russia to finish off the Polish cities on their side of the border. I was able to capture most of the Baltic States before Russia, and have since captured the ones they got to first. I've also captured Moscow, and have pushed to Leningrad.

I was able to use the Me 323's to move troops around Norway quickly, and have managed to take the entire country. Norway did take the Conveys from Iceland island away from Russia, so I'll have to launch an amphibious assault to finish them off. Maybe a really strong defensive unit should be placed on the Convoy islands.

Spain managed to get into a war against both the axis and allies. Luckily for them it was right after I had invaded the Swiss. By the time my forces had healed and moved to the French-Spanish border Spain was willing to make peace, so I took it.

I've fortified a bunch of U-Boats in the North Atlantic, and was able to spot and sink 4 British BBs on one turn with Condors based in Brest. I've also have about 20-25 FW-190A fighters in Calais, and send them over Britain each turn to thin out their air force.

I have taken all of Norway, I used the Me 323 Gigant's to move troops around quickly up there. Invaded Switzerland and conquered Switzerland in 1 turn using all the troops leftover from conquering France.

There hasn't been a lot of shipping between the convoy islands and Britain. Maybe a reverse capture the flag resource should be auto produced that can be turned in in London.

Top Bottom