Unusual tips!

I noticed this as well - personally I think it's an unwelcome additional piece of micromanagement, as I monitor my workers to make sure they get the job done.

I don't think you actually gain city production (since city output is processed on the interturn) but certainly happiness, resources, road effects, improvement triggers for Stone Works and Circus, are all triggered immediately.

Could this be fixed by having worker actions complete on the interturn?

I noticed this as well - personally I think it's an unwelcome additional piece of micromanagement, as I monitor my workers to make sure they get the job done.

I don't think you actually gain city production (since city output is processed on the interturn) but certainly happiness, resources, road effects, improvement triggers for Stone Works and Circus, are all triggered immediately.

If a worker would finish it that turn, then they'll finish it at the end of the turn anyways, and you'll get the happiness/hammers/food/etc for that turn (if a worker finishes a lux this way, your unhappiness problem will be fixed for the end of turn). The main thing finishing 'early' allows you to do is trade a lux or doublecheck your city micromanaging (also allows you to start the Stone Works/Circus too).

If a worker would finish it that turn, then they'll finish it at the end of the turn anyways, and you'll get the happiness/hammers/food/etc for that turn (if a worker finishes a lux this way, your unhappiness problem will be fixed for the end of turn). The main thing finishing 'early' allows you to do is trade a lux or doublecheck your city micromanaging (also allows you to start the Stone Works/Circus too).

Yes, I understand that, and I agree that's how it works in Civ V.

My argument is that, for optimum play (starting Stone Works), you should always monitor your workers and trigger the action-finishing if needed. This is an extra step of boring micro to achieve optimal play.

Instead, if Firaxis modified the game so that it didn't work this way, Civ V would be a more fun game for us optimizers by reducing the number of annoying things to optimize. That's all I'm trying to say ...

Instead, if Firaxis modified the game so that it didn't work this way, Civ V would be a more fun game for us optimizers by reducing the number of annoying things to optimize. That's all I'm trying to say ...

If Firaxis changed this, wouldn't it make the game less fun for optimizers? Or is optimization an addiction that optimizers wish they could overcome?

Regardless, I think the odds of Firaxis changing this are closer to 0 than to 1%.

The other aspect of this trick is that you can finish a road ( or part thereof) . This can get your units a couple of tiles further on than they would otherwise. Very important in battle, especially if you've trying to bring up a newly born general.

The other aspect of this trick is that you can finish a road (or part thereof). This can get your units a couple of tiles further on than they would otherwise. Very important in battle, especially if you've trying to bring up a newly born general.

This is the most important aspect of this worker behavior. I hesitate to characterize it a “trick” (but I guess maybe it qualifies as an “unusual tip”), because if your workers are on the front you are probably micro-managing them!

No. It is better the way things are, with workers with orders commit at the end of your turn instead of between turns, because it gives the player more flexibility. If workers-with-orders committed at the beginning of a turn, the player would loose opportunity to move them away from barbarians or change orders. It is annoying though to miss a turn of luxury or resource trading. Those are also always the exact turns, it seems to me, that an AI come begging for a favor.

I very much doubt it. Was probably just a random accident.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yep, sorry for confuse. It doesn't work. After 5 try, I didn't catch a tech. But buildings and localisation have an influence on ruins.

Not sure if this had been mentioned, it happened last time.

If you have a coastal city located on a landlocked sea (inner sea or surrounded by ice), and you're planning to use privateers/caravels/destroyers/etc to capture ennemy cities, these ship have a chance to be "teleported" in this landlocked town after the capture.
To avoid this, build a permanent ship and leave him garrisoned inside.

Chopping forests can have an impact on the tiles that the city selects for boundary expansion.

I'm playing a game right now where I have a lot of tundra, a lot of coast and a couple of forests. The city was selecting tundra tiles and coastal tiles (each with just a single food) over forest tiles, which seemed odd, since forest tiles at least give you one food, one production. Anyway, I chopped one of the forests to reveal a plain. Same yield as a forest, 1-1, but now the city selected it over the two coastal tiles it had been targeting the turn before.

Not only that, but I had another forested tile, this one with silks on it, four tiles out from my city. I know that cities will grab lux tiles four tiles out even before finishing the 2 and 3 rings. It didn't select this tile until I cut the forest on it. Then it did.

I take from this that the method for selecting tiles for expansion puts a very low priority on forests. So if you were planning to cut forests anyway for the hammers, or you don't mind doing so, you can exert a little bit of influence on the city's tile selection process.

Chopping forests can have an impact on the tiles that the city selects for boundary expansion.

I'm playing a game right now where I have a lot of tundra, a lot of coast and a couple of forests. The city was selecting tundra tiles and coastal tiles (each with just a single food) over forest tiles, which seemed odd, since forest tiles at least give you one food, one production. Anyway, I chopped one of the forests to reveal a plain. Same yield as a forest, 1-1, but now the city selected it over the two coastal tiles it had been targeting the turn before.

Not only that, but I had another forested tile, this one with silks on it, four tiles out from my city. I know that cities will grab lux tiles four tiles out even before finishing the 2 and 3 rings. It didn't select this tile until I cut the forest on it. Then it did.

I take from this that the method for selecting tiles for expansion puts a very low priority on forests. So if you were planning to cut forests anyway for the hammers, or you don't mind doing so, you can exert a little bit of influence on the city's tile selection process.

Yup, works with jungle too. But, this trick does not work for forests on hills.

I just discovered that Dido/Carthage workers can build railroads on mountains. Kind of tedious, but pretty cool.

You can also settle on a mountain.

It did not occur to me try that! Road/rails through mountains definitely have utility. Is a city founded on a mountain pretty much unassailable? I have seen maps where being able to settle on a mountain would made otherwise unworkable natural wonders available.

If you have a coastal city located on a landlocked sea (inner sea or surrounded by ice), and you're planning to use privateers/caravels/destroyers/etc to capture enemy cities, these ship have a chance to be "teleported" in this landlocked town after the capture.

It is definitely a good tip to be wary of this effect. I think the teleporting only happens if you liberate or raze the city. (And the later gives you at least one turn to avoid the effect.)

To avoid this, build a permanent ship and leave him garrisoned inside.

I am not sure about this advise, as my landlocked coastal cities tend to be either puppets or weak producers! I don’t often feel like I have the spare production for ship I will never use. It seems like the proposed solution is almost as wasteful as the problem you are trying to avoid. I especially hate it when Great Admirals spawn in landlocked ports.

If you are going to liberate with a melee ship, and you are at risk for this teleport effect, I think the better advise is to liberate with a “green” ship and not one with lots of promotions.

I am not sure about this advise, as my landlocked coastal cities tend to be either puppets or weak producers! I don’t often feel like I have the spare production for ship I will never use. It seems like the proposed solution is almost as wasteful as the problem you are trying to avoid. I especially hate it when Great Admirals spawn in landlocked ports.

You can chance port of Great Admiral any coastal city you have or doesnt it work with landlocked cities?

You can chance port of Great Admiral any coastal city you have or doesnt it work with landlocked cities?

GA will only spawn in a coastal city. But as George points out, that coastal city can be be located on a landlocked sea (inner sea or surrounded by ice), which is what I meant by “landlocked port”.

GA will only spawn in a coastal city. But as George points out, that coastal city can be be located on a landlocked sea (inner sea or surrounded by ice), which is what I meant by “landlocked port”.

In BNW, you have the ability to move them from one coastal city to another, so that wouldn't be a problem. I thought that was in a patch and thus affected G&K as well, but I guess not.

I thought that was in a patch and thus affected G&K as well, but I guess not.

Interesting! Yes, I am still on G&K, and BlackWizard wrote chance, so I misunderstood his reply.

Is the change port always in the GA action menu (and disabled when not in port)? Or does it only display when in port? I had not been looking for it, but if it showed up in a patch, I think I would have noticed!

Top Bottom