Coronavirus Ε

The problem with flu is that it is highly variable, having a chromosome in 8 pieces that can rearrange in a cell that is infected by 2 strains. A cold is a very superficial in its contact with the immune system, so does not elicit a strong immune response. We should not assume it will be a measles type immunity, but the probability is that immunity will be longer lasting that colds and the virus less variable than flu.

Cold/flu strains fall out of circulation with some regularity!

The deadly viruses that vanished without trace

For years, it was thought that the influenza A strains we live with are constantly evolving to be better able to infect us. But the latest scientific research shows that this is not the case.

It turns out that anyone who died before 1893 will never have been infected with any of the influenza A strains that exist today. That’s because every flu virus that existed in humans until about 120 years ago has gone extinct. The strain that caused the 1918 pandemic has also disappeared, as has the one that led to the 1957 avian flu outbreak, which killed up to 116,000 people in the US, and the type of flu that was circulating in 2009, before swine flu emerged.

Secondly, certain virus strains, like the types of Covid-19 – of which there are already at least six – might amass enough mutations that are harmful to themselves so that they disappear altogether. In India, there’s already evidence that this could be happening naturally. The virus is mutating at a staggering pace, and it’s been suggested that it might be heading for an evolutionary cliff all on its own.

We'll need luck for this.
Because there's no good reason why it should just go extinct.

There is virus mutate. Generally they get less deadly modern bubonic plague is a different strain than the 14th century one.

3,046 deaths today in the US We've topped 9-11.

Guess its time to update this then

Dealiest days in America's history:

1. Galveston Hurricane - 8,000

2. Antietam - 3,600

3. September 11 - 2,977

4. Last Thursday - 2,861

5. Last Wednesday - 2,762

6. Last Tuesday - 2,461

7. Last Friday - 2,439

8. Pearl Harbor - 2,403

So what? Most of the covid deaths could have been prevented and Trump worked hard to make sure that they were not prevented. Our current pandemic is not the flu. The flu does not create a recession; the flu does not put 20 million people out of work. Are you a supporter of herd immunity?

The 3,000 in a day benchmark is a reference to 9-11 the "we will never forget all those that died that day". It was a such a deadly day. Now we kill that number many times over in a week and The Republicans couldn't care less. BTW, 3000 dead a day is 90,000 a month; and that is 1 million in a year.

People STILL comparing Covid with flu are NUTJOBS. Are people saying these people would have been killed by flu as well? PEOPLE WHO SAY COVID=FLU ARE ANT-INTELLECTUALS AND I HATE THAT!

There is virus mutate. Generally they get less deadly modern bubonic plague is a different strain than the 14th century one.

That's a more likely scenario, yes.

Numbers in France are climbing up again. Lockdown measures were easened last week Monday, and should further be lifted on the 15th if we reach the goal of 5.000 infections per day. The lowest it has been in this wave was last week 8.000, and it's going up again :/.
The Netherlands is rising too, and Germany stagnating.
I still need to check for my Christmas break if I need tests before or after or both I arrive in the Netherlands or back in France or both :/.

I would not mind taking traditional vaccines like the Oxford one, for instance. I can accept they have accelerated the validation process, being such a proven technology. I mean, there is already a lot of experience and knowledge accumulated about this kind of vaccines.

However i find hard to accept such acceleration for ARN vaccines, which are a completely new technology. Unexpected things can happen and usually happen in these cases.

The Oxford vaccine is hardly traditional either. I am not aware of any other Adenovirus-based vaccines.

The Oxford vaccine is hardly traditional either. I am not aware of any other Adenovirus-based vaccines.
None has made it into the field, but there are quite a few in the pipeline.
To date, several adenovirus-based vaccines are in clinical and pre-clinical trials. Vaccines developed against HIV, Ebola virus, influenza virus, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and Plasmodium falciparum are currently under human clinical trials. Moreover, there are vaccines under preclinical trials developed against rabies virus, dengue virus, and middle east respiratory syndrome coronavirus.

Ops, will have to discard Oxford too.

Are there traditional vaccines using disactived or weakened SARS-CoV-2 viruses or using only key virus proteins in the pipeline?

Ops, will have to discard Oxford too.

Are there traditional vaccines using disactived or weakened SARS-CoV-2 viruses or using only key virus proteins in the pipeline?
Yeah. The highest profile one is SinoVac, which is inactivated. There is html table here of the 52 candidate vaccines in clinical evaluation, or a pdf here.

Some restrictions removed in Basque Country, pubs, bars and restaurants may open at 50% starting from Saturday. We can move now to other municipalities and we can meet up to 10 people.
Curfew remains, but will be wider in Christmas eve.

This was announced the very same day the Basque Goverment admits that the dossiers of the last month had had "mistaken" data, so they have been reporting better data

Top Bottom