Coronavirus 12: Don't Abandon Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xi'an station as spring festival approaches. Each destination has up to 7 different categories of travelers depending their status, and the status of their destination. The categories then list all the requirements on must follow upon arrival.

These are just the people waiting to get in the station. The insides are huge too. No social distancing and superspreader status waiting in the wings. It is also very orderly.

Last edited:
Dismissing comorbidities is as misleading as including things like car wrecks in the number of deaths. Besides that, I do not measure coronavirus damage by the numbers of deaths alone: there are also long-term effects on seemingly many, and even if one fully recovers after x time it is still not something I want.

You are in general right, but people who look at these numbers separately, with telling that they are looking at them separately, will probably know that ;).
Looking at the different parts is not necessarily misleading. It tells a different detail.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2022-01-booster-shots-omicron-cdc.html

well thats great, I'm 5 months out and they recommend the booster for me

but I do have a question

does symptomatic infection do a more thorough job of teaching the immune system to respond to related bugs in the future?

Hard to say. I'd think this will depend on the exact relatedness of the different bugs, as well as on the diversity of the antibodies.
In principle an updated vaccine should do a similarly good job. Currently it seems that the boosters do a sufficient enough job that it's worth getting them (I had it a few pages back, they push up again the amount of antibodies, and a higher amount will do something, even if they don't fit perfectly).

EDIT: Who gets the new thread? I always confuse it...

What if you dont have comorbidities?
The thing is age and sex are risk factors, and most people have one of those.

Slightly more seriously, all males have a risk factor. Children have a risk factor, as do older people. Add obesity, steroid use, cancer, heart disease, being immunocompromised etc. and I reakon there are few people that do not have any of the features that have been associated with worse outcomes.

The thing is age and sex are risk factors, and most people have one of those.

Slightly more seriously, all males have a risk factor. Children have a risk factor, as do older people. Add obesity, steroid use, cancer, heart disease, being immunocompromised etc. and I reakon there are few people that do not have any of the features that have been associated with worse outcomes.

I thought children were at lower risk than adults.

Yes. lockdowns are local only affecting 10+ million people at a time. In order for China to achieve that, it takes the very heavy hand of the PRC and all its terrible baggage and restrictions that I assume you would support being implemented in Portugal.

China doesn't look so bad, at least in terms of covid-related restrictions I can see the average chinese citizen suffering less. Neither country is democratic, we just pretend to have meaningful elections here, the elected parliament that can't actually make laws freely (alleged primacy of EU law). And the chinese at least managed to prosper.
But the again, they're leveraging on size to prosper so fast. I'd rather look at Taiwan or SK for an example to follow. Small countries that managed to democratize, prosper, and avoid entering confederations. Too bad about Korea not reunifying yet but they will sort that out also.

Now you've made me think about these countries, Taiwan, Korea and Japan are interesting cases about the zero-covid policy.

Taiwan does zero-covid. Successfully. Without hampering trade or making citizens unhappy.

South Korea and Japan would like to do it, but cannot because of the ongoing US military occupation. In Japan in particular it was notorious, in new waves the initial clusters of new cases around US military bases. Both countries are compelled by treaties to allow unrestricted transit of US soldiers into and out of large military bases there and must provide services to the bases and to ships in several ports, so those become holes in any attempt at border control to do zero-covid. So long as the Empire "lives with covid", so must the vassals. At least the ones forced to host large bases.

I think they could be. I want to re-emphasize that regardless of the Wuhan lab, Osama bin Laden could have make covid-19 on purpose if he had his resources today. I think that we've shown that we cannot handle a single step-change in infectivity, virulence, or initial biodistribution without global catastrophe.

I've mentioned this problem before. And think we must draw the inevitable conclusions from it. The unwillingness of governments in most of the world to use border controls and lockdowns to stop this virus and extinguish it was and remains stupid, because we need those tools ready for the next manufactured pandemic! It's the only thing that works against any one. People are clinging to the past. Unrestricted, fast and easy international movement and mass tourism like that in the decades 1960-2020 cannot continue as it has been.

The only way to reserve that for most of the time or most of the places is to be able and willing to clamp down immediately and effectively when a threat emerges. Fence off the places where governmental re unable to control it. Imo the chinese saw the stategic implications of this. Most of the other governments still don't.

I thought children were at lower risk than adults.
I had a link up, but do not have the details now. Being young (under 5?) was a risk factor for some outcome or other.

I've mentioned this problem before. And think we must draw the inevitable conclusions from it. The unwillingness of governments in most of the world to use border controls and lockdowns to stop this virus and extinguish it was and remains stupid, because we need those tools ready for the next manufactured pandemic! It's the only thing that works against any one. People are clinging to the past. Unrestricted, fast and easy international movement and mass tourism like that in the decades 1960-2020 cannot continue as it has been.

France currently has 2.5 million infections + per week (something along that line, numbers are fluid).
And you really believe that stopping international travel will bring that down in a reasonable time?

I think innonimatu secret plan is to bring the world back to early middle ages. That is fine with me, it was a very interesting period of history. Sadly there are too many population and too much traffic of people, goods and services around the world to make that possible.

Last edited:
In Japan in particular it was notorious, in new waves the initial clusters of new cases around US military bases.
I dispute this. As far as I know, and this is from reading local media, the first cases and clusters were detected in returning Japanese nationals who either broke their quarantines or came into contact with someone who had.

France currently has 2.5 million infections + per week (something along that line, numbers are fluid).
And you really believe that stopping international travel will bring that down in a reasonable time?

This means that the french screwed up enormously already. It means that extinguishing those infections is now harder. But it can be done. Governments just don't want to.
More infections means more virus replicating and mutating.This is a recipe for disaster and disaster we will have, without any need for deliberate manipulation of this or other viruses.

I think innonimatu secret plan is to bring the world back to early middle age. That is fine with me, it was a very interesting period of history. Sadly there are too many population and too much traffic of people, goods and services around the world to make that possible.

I want to avoid us falling back middle ages style. I want to see governments organizing to preserve as much as can be preserved of modernity despite this danger. What we had can only be preserved if we manage to control spread of disease effectively. To quash any new pandemic promptly. A well organized quick reaction will allow things to go back to normal.
There was a huge failure with the decision to allow covid to run wild. It was a political decision so the politicians responsible refuse to recognize the error. But it was an error, and one that we need to correct, to quash this one before it becomes worse. Not doing it will lead to civilizational collapse. Then we get the midde ages back!

Really, are you feeling lucky that the next mutation of the virus won't be towards a deadlier variant? Can you image how your world would be like if this omicron variant was as deadly as delta? Taking France's numbers, with 2,5 million infections per week and a 2% mortality, that would be 7000 dead per day. 2.5 million dead per year. We got lucky this time.

I dispute this. As far as I know, and this is from reading local media, the first cases and clusters were detected in returning Japanese nationals who either broke their quarantines or came into contact with someone who had.

The japanese government knew from the start that this hole would compromise a defense against the virus, and with omicron it seems to have been exasperated enough com complain loudly. Quotes provided:

https://www.reuters.com/world/coronavirus-cluster-linked-us-base-japan-grows-least-180-2021-12-20/
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/as...oliday-surge-us-bases-japan-navy-4126877.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...bs-regions-hosting-us-bases-okinawa-rcna11318

Jan. 7, 2022, 12:20 PM UTC / Updated Jan. 10, 2022, 2:14 AM UTC

TOKYO — Japan is to step up coronavirus restrictions in three regions that host United States military bases to stem a Covid-19 surge that some officials have said the bases have helped fuel.

The restrictions, which authorities call “priority measures,” are being brought back for the first time since September, when Japan lifted emergency controls that had prevailed across the country for most of last year.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/C...n-to-come-under-14-day-tighter-COVID-controls

Japanese Foreign Minister Yoshimasa Hayashi said at the meeting that anxiety was spreading among local residents about growing coronavirus infections at and around U.S. bases, and asked for swift enforcement of countermeasures.

Japan on Sunday reintroduced coronavirus restrictions in three regions that host U.S. military bases, the first such emergency controls since September.

The Japanese government halted the entry of almost all foreign travelers in late November after the World Health Organization listed Omicron as a variant of concern. But the U.S. military has moved staff in and out under a separate testing and quarantine regime.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/e...-omicron-fear-in-japan-amid-covid-19-outbreak

When the new variant was first identified last month, Japan halted new entry by foreigners to stop its spread, one of the most aggressive reactions globally. Prime Minister Fumio Kishida has pledged to expedite a roll-out of vaccine booster shots for the most vulnerable people.

It is not the first time American military bases helped the virus spread in Japan.

Covid-19 clusters emerged last year following Fourth of July celebrations when US personnel visited off-base beach parties and drinking spots. The incidents led the local government to make several requests, including halting transfers of US personnel to the southern island.

Really, are you feeling lucky that the next mutation of the virus won't be towards a deadlier variant? Can you image how your world would be like if this omicron variant was as deadly as delta? Taking France's numbers, with 2,5 million infections per week and a 2% mortality, that would be 7000 dead per day. 2.5 million dead per year. We got lucky this time.

Your calculations make some rather basic errors, such as failing to notice that at 2.5 million infections a week the virus would have gone through France's entire population in about 6 months. Your 2.5 million dead in a year requires everyone to get it on average about twice, and have about a 2% mortality rate each time. Not realistic. And epidemiology makes it very clear that evolutionary pressure is to less deadly variants, however much you are rooting for the alternative in your desperation for a scenario that would justify your stance on lockdowns.

In reality of course, this kind of infection rate is unsustainable. You end up with a kind of corollary to herd immunity where the infection rate diminishes as the virus becomes increasingly unlikely to encounter new hosts who don't already have it. We've already seen this in the UK, where infection rates are falling. There have been little to no attempts to control the spread here, but the cases peaked at around 200,000 per day, and have dropped to less than half that. I suspect the reason for the Omicron peak being lower and over earlier in the UK than in France is due to the background circulation of Delta that's been going on for the last six months, since the UK dropped all restrictions. Between vaccination and previous infection, most people already have some degree of immunity, so the virus is quickly running out of hosts.

So COVID may die of success, like Pokemon Go.

But if it is so incredibly contagious that everybody catch it in five or six months, the time that immunity lasts, it will run out of available hosts and disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom