Coronavirus 14: Boosted Waves or Merely a Ripple?

Is it over?

• YES

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • NO

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • It will never be over

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I'm over it

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • I'm more worried about Monkey Pox

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
Yes or no are not answers to an either or question :old:

God, I thought the last one was just oddly numbered, I didn't realize we're already at 14...

That said, our lab has an outbreak. We were on a retreat last week, on Thursday a bunch of people started coughing, on Saturday 10 were positive. Given that we also know who slept with whom in one room, and other details, I'd love to sequence this, but a MEC would absolutely destroy it.
And one of the higher ups said that as a lab which is working on the frontier of covid we maybe shouldn't exactly advertise that we had an outbreak :lol:.
Well, so far I'm negative. Just had it in February, should all be good. I have friends coming over in 9 days, which is my biggest concern.

God, I thought the last one was just oddly numbered, I didn't realize we're already at 14...

That said, our lab has an outbreak. We were on a retreat last week, on Thursday a bunch of people started coughing, on Saturday 10 were positive. Given that we also know who slept with whom in one room, and other details, I'd love to sequence this, but a MEC would absolutely destroy it.
And one of the higher ups said that as a lab which is working on the frontier of covid we maybe shouldn't exactly advertise that we had an outbreak :lol:.
Well, so far I'm negative. Just had it in February, should all be good. I have friends coming over in 9 days, which is my biggest concern.
We had an event which we all believe turned into a super-spreader event 'cos loads of people got it afterwards, though no one was sleeping with each other. I think it was irresponsible.

Though no one was sleeping with each other.

That's what they want you to think...

Exactly, need someone like myself to safely corral the wild beasts. Aiken, Thread Tamer Extraordinaire!

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been almost a year since my 2 shots, is there a site where people can see studies and comparisons of the available vaccines? If I get a booster I'd like something different from Pfizer to create a larger viral net.
Preferably a nasal vaccine.

Its been almost a year since my 2 shots, is there a site where people can see studies and comparisons of the available vaccines? If I get a booster I'd like something different from Pfizer to create a larger viral net.
Preferably a nasal vaccine.
I've read that Moderna is the favored booster. I've had 4 Moderna shots so far.

I've read that Moderna is the favored booster. I've had 4 Moderna shots so far.
Is that all 4 the same? I though the one thing people agreed on was a mix was better?

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/mva-nasal-study

Advantages of the nasal MVA-based vaccine include:

• Virus targeting: SARS-CoV-2 initially establishes infection in the nose and throat before spreading to the lungs. Within six hours of delivery, scientists observed the nasal vaccine working in all the key areas, remaining active for three days. The vaccine delivered to the muscle remained in place, generating a slow immune response only to the lung region and blood.
  • Broad protection: The nasal vaccine quickly generated a variety of protective immune responses, including antibodies A and G. The muscular vaccine only generated type G antibodies, and mainly in the lungs. Type A antibodies are important protectors against SARS-CoV-2 because they are found in the mouth and in saliva – places where the virus wants to establish. Both vaccines also generated white blood cells (T cells), but in significantly higher levels via the nasal vaccine.
  • Rapid protection: Nasal vaccination either prevented or accelerated SARS-CoV-2 elimination in nasal passages and lungs as early as two days after exposure to the virus. This likely was because of the type A antibodies at work, the scientists say. Muscular vaccination was less effective, preventing death and clearing virus from the respiratory tract, but over several days and not protecting nasal passages.
that was on mice

Well, do that then.

GoodRx is not available outside of the United States. The J&J one is a single dose isn't it? I never did get the logic in why it only needed one.

The first COVID-19 vaccines were authorized in December 2020. But over time, a new chapter has unfolded. COVID-19 booster shots are becoming widely available in the U.S. And with this availability, there’s also plenty of vaccination guidelines to be aware of from groups like the FDA and CDC.

With new information, data, and recommendations coming from many different sources, it’s hard to know what to do for your next shot. So, you may be thinking: “What do I really need to know about which vaccine is best for me?”

Here, we’ll talk about COVID-19 vaccine booster shots — who’s eligible, timelines, and considerations to think about before you schedule your shot.

Who is eligible for a COVID-19 booster shot?
Everyone ages 12 and older in the U.S. is eligible to get a COVID-19 booster shot, depending on which vaccine you received initially and when you got it.

And now, as of late March 2022, certain people are also eligible for second booster shots. The following people are currently eligible for second booster shots:

• Adults ages 50 and older

• Adults who received two doses of the J&J vaccine

• Certain people ages 12 and older who are immunocompromised
At this time, booster shots aren’t authorized for people age 11 or younger. But in late April 2022, Pfizer officially submitted a request for their vaccine to be authorized as a booster shot in kids ages 5 through 11 years old. It’s possible that we could see this authorization come through in the near future.

When do you need to get a COVID-19 booster?
As mentioned above, booster shot timelines can slightly vary. Thankfully, there’s a general framework to follow.

If you received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines initially, you have to wait a minimum of 5 months before you can get your booster shot. If you’re immunocompromised, you’ll need to wait at least 3 months.

The clock starts ticking after you get your second primary dose. So, if you received your second Pfizer or Moderna dose on July 1, 2021, you would be eligible for a booster shot on December 1, 2021. But if you initially received the single-dose J&J vaccine, you only need to wait a minimum of 2 months. If you received a J&J vaccine on October 1, 2021, you would be eligible for a booster shot on December 1, 2021.

What about second booster shots?
If eligible, you can get your second booster shot 4 months after your first booster. Continuing the example from above, if you received your first booster shot on December 1, 2021, you’d be eligible for your second booster shot on April 1, 2022.

However, only the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are authorized as second boosters. The J&J vaccine isn’t authorized to be given as a second booster.

Is a ‘booster shot’ the same as an ‘additional dose?’
You may have seen the terms “booster shot” and “additional dose” used interchangeably. They seem like similar terms, so shouldn’t they mean the same thing?

Unfortunately, that’s not the case. A booster shot is different from an additional dose.

An additional dose is given to someone whose immune response to their initial shots isn’t enough to provide adequate protection. This includes people with weakened immune systems. That’s why an additional dose is recommended for people with weakened immune systems at least 28 days (4 weeks) after their second primary Pfizer or Moderna shot or first J&J shot.

A booster shot is given because protection from a vaccine can lessen over time. In other words, the level of protection you had after becoming fully vaccinated may drop over the course of several months. Booster shots can help “boost” your protection back up to an adequate level.

People who initially received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines (primary and additional doses) need to wait 3 months before potentially getting a booster shot. But if you initially received the J&J vaccine and received an additional dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, you’ll need to wait 2 months after your additional dose before you can get your booster dose.

Does your COVID-19 booster shot need to be the same as your original vaccine?
It can be, but it doesn’t have to be.

The FDA and CDC are allowing a “mix-and-match” approach for COVID-19 booster shots. This means that regardless of the vaccine that you received first, you can choose the vaccine that you want next.

For example, if you already received the J&J COVID-19 vaccine, you can choose which vaccine you would like for your booster shot. You could decide to get the J&J shot again, or you could choose to get a Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. However, the J&J vaccine isn’t authorized as a second booster shot.

That said, the CDC issued a statement in late 2021 advising eligible people to get the Pfizer or Moderna booster shots if available, instead of the J&J vaccine. This statement follows a CDC expert panel meeting that reviewed updated data on a rare but serious blood clot risk linked to the vaccine.

But, some vaccination sites may not give you a choice. In some cases, you’ll need to stick with the vaccine you got the first time. Other sites may give you the option to pick.

Are COVID-19 booster shots the same as the original vaccine?
For the Pfizer and J&J vaccines, yes.

However, the Moderna vaccine is a bit more complex. The booster shot version is half the dose of the original vaccine. When you get your first two doses of the Moderna vaccine, you receive 100 mcg of mRNA in each shot. But with the booster(s), you only receive 50 mcg. Aside from it being a smaller dose, the vaccine is the same.

This smaller dose is being used because it was studied this way in clinical trials. Researchers from Moderna found that this half-dose booster provides a “strong immune response” in adults. Side effects from the half-dose vaccine appear to be similar to the full-dose vaccine.

What risks are associated with COVID-19 boosters?
Research has shown that COVID-19 booster shots can help provide additional protection against COVID-19.

But that doesn’t mean they’re free of any risks. Risks of COVID-19 booster shots resemble the risks of previous vaccine doses. These can include:

• Common side effects: Booster shot side effects seem to be similar to side effects you may have felt from your initial dose(s). And if you received the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines originally, these side effects are pretty similar to side effects you may have felt after your second dose. This can include tiredness, fever, and pain or swelling where you received the shot.

• Heart concerns: The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been connected to myocarditis (heart inflammation) and pericarditis (heart lining inflammation). This risk, while rare, has been reported most frequently in young men. Research suggests that this risk may be higher for the Moderna vaccine than the Pfizer vaccine.

• Serious blood clots: The J&J vaccine has been connected to serious blood clots in rare situations, mostly in women ages 18 to 49.

• Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS): The J&J vaccine has been linked to GBS in very rare situations. GBS is a serious health condition that causes muscle weakness and potentially paralysis.
Researchers will continue to study the effects of COVID-19 vaccines.

Does it make a difference if you’re pregnant or nursing?
No. Both the CDC and American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommend that people who are pregnant or nursing should receive a booster shot when they’re eligible.

Which booster should you get?
According to the most recent guidance, the Pfizer or Moderna booster shots are preferred over the J&J shot. As mentioned earlier, the CDC’s recommendation comes from a review of data regarding a rare but serious blood clot risk linked to the vaccine.

Still, you should weigh your options when deciding what course of action is best for you. You can also talk to your healthcare provider for their recommendation on your individual situation.

If you don’t feel strongly about one vaccine, the best move is to get a booster as soon as you can. Differences between the vaccines are small and nuanced. The best shot is the one that you have access to.

But there are still a few thoughts to consider when making this decision. A summarized list of considerations are detailed below.

Sticking with the same vaccine
If you want your booster shot to be the same as your original vaccine, there’s logic to back up your decision.

For one, vaccine recommendations are complex and change frequently. With some exceptions, a safe move may be to stick with the same vaccine that you got originally.

It’s also likely that researchers will conduct studies that look at how effective the same vaccine is over time. For example, it would make sense for Pfizer to see how effective their booster shot is following their own vaccine. They’d be less likely to research how effective the Moderna shot is following two doses of a Pfizer vaccine.

If you originally got the J&J vaccine and you have severe allergic reactions to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, your healthcare provider may recommend that you stick with J&J for your booster. Otherwise, the CDC recommends making a switch.

Separately, if you’re worried about infertility, don’t fret. There’s not any evidence that suggests any COVID-19 vaccines cause infertility in men or women. This shouldn’t sway your decision to choose a different vaccine.

Changing to a different vaccine
If you want your booster shot(s) to be different from your original vaccine, that would also make sense.

If you received a J&J shot originally, current evidence suggests that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine booster shots may provide more protection than a J&J vaccine booster.

And even though the risk of rare blood clots is small with the J&J vaccine, it’s still possible. Because of this, the CDC recommends changing to Pfizer or Moderna for your booster.

If you originally got the Pfizer vaccine, switching to the Moderna vaccine has been shown to result in a good immune response. The same goes for switching to Pfizer if you originally got Moderna. But as of right now, there isn’t a clear advantage to making a switch.

Other considerations
Effectiveness data also changes frequently. Based on current vaccine effectiveness data, you may be inclined to choose one vaccine over another. New studies about vaccine effectiveness come out many times a month. For example, effectiveness data from early December might be outdated if you’re looking to get your second booster shot in early April.

The most up-to-date information may be helpful when deciding if you want to get a different vaccine from what you got originally. When it’s time to get your booster dose, try to look around and see what vaccine is best supported at the time. If you aren’t sure, ask a pharmacist or healthcare provider.

The bottom line
COVID-19 booster shots are currently available for people age 12 and older. You can get a booster if it’s been 5 months since you received both primary doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 months since you received your J&J shot. Certain people also now qualify for a second booster shot.

If you’re still unsure which vaccine would be best for you, you should speak to your healthcare provider. They can help you weigh your options. If you want to schedule a booster dose, find a location near you by calling 1-800-232-0233 or by visiting Vaccines.gov.

References
American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. (2022). COVID-19 vaccination considerations for obstetric–gynecologic care.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). CDC expands eligibility for COVID-19 booster shots.
More references:
Spoiler :

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). Myocarditis and pericarditis after mRNA COVID-19 vaccination.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2021). People with certain medical conditions.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). CDC endorses ACIP's updated COVID-19 vaccine recommendation.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). CDC expands booster shot eligibility and strengthens recommendations for 12-17 year olds.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). CDC recommends additional boosters for certain individuals.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). COVID data tracker.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). COVID-19 vaccine boosters.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). COVID-19 vaccines for moderately to severely immunocompromised people.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). COVID-19 vaccines for people who would like to have a baby.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). COVID-19 vaccines while pregnant or breastfeeding.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). Selected adverse events reported after COVID-19 vaccination.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2022). Stay up to date with your COVID-19 vaccines.
Food and Drug Administration. (2021). Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: FDA expands eligibility for COVID-19 vaccine boosters.
Food and Drug Administration. (2021). Coronavirus (COVID-19) update: FDA takes additional actions on the use of a booster dose for COVID-19 vaccines.
Food and Drug Administration. (2022). Moderna COVID-19 vaccine health care provider fact sheet.
Logan, K. (2021). Here are the side effects you can expect from a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot. Fortune.
Moderna. (2022). Moderna COVID-19 vaccine EUA fact sheet for health care providers.
Oliver, S. (2021). Updates to the evidence to recommendation framework: Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna COVID-19 vaccine booster doses. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Pfizer, Inc. (2022). Pfizer and BioNTech submit application for U.S. emergency use authorization for a COVID-19 vaccine booster dose in children 5 through 11 years of age.
See, I. (2021). Updates on thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Vaccines.gov. (n.d.). Find COVID-19 vaccines.

Honestly I've always got the impression that J&J's vaccine only needing one dose was more to give it a selling point over Pfizer and Moderna rather than the data indicating a lack of need/benefit from a second shot.

from the link

"If you want your booster shot to be the same as your original vaccine, there’s logic to back up your decision.

"For one, vaccine recommendations are complex and change frequently. With some exceptions, a safe move may be to stick with the same vaccine that you got originally."

The link says the Moderna booster is half the dose of the original, but it does make sense to use the vaccine you already experienced without serious side effects. Pfizer gave me local numbness like a bone bruise. I think I'll wait to see progress on nasal vaccines, but if a big wave is coming I might take the plunge 1 more time. That would give me some protection until they do come out with a nasal spray.

Voted for apathy. In the US, I doubt that 5 years out more than 35% of the population will still be getting boosters.

I felt at the start that there was limited political capital for public health measures. It’s spent, now. Only real hope to reduce suffering is a 1-dose vaccine that offers real long-term protection. If it’s not a one and done, in the long run, I can’t see getting much more than the most vulnerable members of the public to use boosters consistently.

Medical reality is that cases as far as I know are still high. Political reality is that the will to do anything about it is gone. Science’ll have to come through now, Covid likely becomes the new pneumonia.

The main reason to mix and match vaccines would be because of the possibility of having an immune response to the vector rather than the target proteins if having a repeat dose of a vector-based vaccine.

Voted for apathy. In the US, I doubt that 5 years out more than 35% of the population will still be getting boosters.

I felt at the start that there was limited political capital for public health measures. It’s spent, now. Only real hope to reduce suffering is a 1-dose vaccine that offers real long-term protection. If it’s not a one and done, in the long run, I can’t see getting much more than the most vulnerable members of the public to use boosters consistently.

Medical reality is that cases as far as I know are still high. Political reality is that the will to do anything about it is gone. Science’ll have to come through now, Covid likely becomes the new pneumonia.

One part of pneumonia. Pneumonia is the catch-all term for everything lung-infection related, no matter what it is.

But yes, most likely true.

Honestly I've always got the impression that J&J's vaccine only needing one dose was more to give it a selling point over Pfizer and Moderna rather than the data indicating a lack of need/benefit from a second shot.

I would be guessing that they opted for only one shot to make their trials easier, and by luck it turned out to be good enough.
But who knows...

Top Bottom