How do you recognise posters?

What's the first thing you look for to identify a poster?

• Title

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signature

• Paragraph formatting

• Greetings and signings at start/end of post

• Other

• Total voters

Sophie 378

Avvie by ybbor
There seems to be some consensus that we often identify "who posted that?" without actually reading the username, mostly by avatar. I can usually recognise avatars by peripheral vision while reading the actual post; if I can't, I'll check the signature. Of course, sometimes this leads to me identifying people as "the guy with that avatar" or "that signature", rather than usernames.

How about you folks? When you're scrolling down the page, and you want to know who said what, what's the first thing you look at to identify everyone? What do you automatically look for? What's your primary method? How do you recognise people?

Vote and discuss. :)

I usually read the post, then look at the sig, or glance at the avatar. Only rarely do I look at username (even if they have a generic avatar, I will assume that it is the most prolific poster with that avatar making that post; but then I still see everyone using the Civ4 viking as swedishguy, even though he has changed avatars.)

I am always constantly looking at the poster's writing style, then if i want to respond,then i look at the username to know who i am writing to.

Avatars are changed too often by some folks (me!) to be really useful, and some are shared by more than one user. I personally usually rely on usernames, though a few rather distinct avatars do leap out at me.

Actually, when a poster changes their name it can be weird for me - I read a post by amadeus, thought "hmm, a new guy", then wondered how he had gotten 18K posts without me ever having seen him before . . .

glance at avatar first then at username, since people change avs occasionally.

I mostly recognize posters by their avatars.

In all seriousness, avatars. Sometimes paragraph formatting (if I recognise the formatting, it's usually EdwardTKing). If there's no avatar, I look at the username.

(Judging by the number of people voting 'avatar', this 'avatar switch' thingy should be funny...)

I wish we could do an experiment for one day by eliminating usernames and other personal preferences so we can try to find out the person by writing style.

Avatar FTW. April day is going to be very confusing.

Note that for some popular avatars, there can only be one poster. So the religious leader will be MobBoss, Alexander will be Red Stranger, and so on.

Actually, when a poster changes their name it can be weird for me - I read a post by amadeus, thought "hmm, a new guy", then wondered how he had gotten 18K posts without me ever having seen him before . . .

OMG...what happened with ol' good' MrSharpe?

Usually avatars, If avatar doesn't sound familiar, then username.

Avatar FTW. April day is going to be very confusing.

It always is. :D

I once got a PM from someone who thought I was the person I switched avatars with. :lol:

Thread title usually works for a few posters.

Top Bottom