PalSuite

Aluminium

I just found out that there's the new version 3 of PalSuite. It's a tiny but very powerful freeware palette editor by Alister Thomson. I think it should be here in Utility forum, since it makes palette editing quite easy.

You can find it here.

Attachments

• palsuite3.png
    palsuite3.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 309
:bump:

I just noticed this. It's use is undoubtedtly "obvious" but, as your Humble Village Gfx Idiot, would someone mind explaining how to use this?

- On the upside, I'm finally ready to take on Graphics :ar15:

;) & Thanks,

Oz

So I decided to take a look at this and offer some preliminary thoughts...the tool allows the creation and editing palettes for indexed images (to 256 colors for our purposes, of course). For Civ3 purposes, I don't see too many uses of its creation features, but it does look promising for those of us using the GIMP and other programs that don't provide many palette-editing features (as opposed to what I've heard of that mystical Adobe Photoshop).

You can load up a palette created else where...likely created from an indexed .pcx of a still graphic or a unit animation...and adjust it to your whim. Want to lessen the red content of the colors in the palette, then do so. Want to arrange the palette by color value, rather than the random manner the GIMP sets up when it creates a palette for an indexed .pcx? Can do that as well. You get the picture. Save the palette, go back to your graphics program and re-index an RGB-version of your image to the new, corrected palette.

I see the most uses in unit-creation, adjusting the colors assigned to different regions of units by setting up gradients, or shifting the full color scheme lighter, darker, etc. Someone more versed in such things, or in still graphics, may see other ways to do this...or have more detailed ideas...but those are my preliminary thoughts.

Ah my dear Micaelus - I have, in my day, pioneered forgotten advances in the Silicon Valley, been responsible for billions of dollars on Wall Street, and written several novels. Yet my frontal lobes glaze over when confronted by words like "palette" and (in this context) "index". All I wish to learn is the absolute, simplest way to add Impovements, units, and resources without having to wear 3D red/green glasses to compensate for the results. I can manage C&P with a simple editor, then the neurons misfire. :suicide:

Your Humble Village Gfx Idiot,

Oz

Then you will have no need of this, good sir.
Looking to tutorials like SpacerOne's GIMP tutorial will make your C&P'd images Civ3-compatible. That's about the best place to start...you won't need any fancy-pantsy other software than your humble free image editor.

Also, feel free to ask all kinds of questions of fun words like "palette" and "index" and we'll see what we can do. The glaze shall be overcome!!

Ye Gods. A graphics tutorial that hasn't sent me out for migraine medicaments. Or the cataracts have been removed from my eyes. Or something.

As I believe I've stated before, You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar ...

... And 10:1 I'm still the Village Idiot.

;) ,

Oz

Yet my frontal lobes glaze over ...
then the neurons misfire.
Or the cataracts have been removed from my eyes.
Or something.
Your Humble Village Gfx Idiot
It ain't the argot or the graphics:
Spoiler :
Or something.
sent me out for ... medicaments.
... Um, you forgot Maui ... :cooool:
Nah, he's always been on that side of the mirror
wear 3D red/green glasses to compensate for the results.
That's why I keep advocating Surreal Life :D
I'm still the Village Idiot.

There are some things you shouldn't say around
as obsessive a researcher as Blue Monkey ( :mischief: )
who's ex-MI, has some social engineering experience, and takes his CnP inspiration from DADA. :p

In my opinion the most interesting feature is the c'n'p color groups from one palette to another. It has made my life so much easier then. But I'm probably not too up to date in the civ modding subject.

Btw, I had had problems with the version 3.01. It creates error messages on my system. Therefore I used version 2 again. Now I just saw that there is a newer version, 3.02, and it seems to be stable. So thank you to bump this thread. :D

In my opinion the most interesting feature is the c'n'p color groups from one palette to another. It has made my life so much easier then. But I'm probably not too up to date in the civ modding subject.

Btw, I had had problems with the version 3.01. It creates error messages on my system. Therefore I used version 2 again. Now I just saw that there is a newer version, 3.02, and it seems to be stable. So thank you to bump this thread. :D

Youre welcome. I think I'll give it a try.

EL BUMPO

Top Bottom