A Tryst with Destiny

Nice! :D

35 years earlier

For a month, Buddhagupt remained hidden from the world taking shelter as a refugee in a Buddhist ashram. Over there, he had solace and found time to unravel the secrets of the puzzle box. It was not an easy life for the aging amatya, he who had once lived in a comfortable manse of his own with servants at his beck and call, and a loving family to care after him, now had to live in austerity in the ashram.

Ever since the Satavahan dynasty took power, Buddhist ashrams had their funding cut. They had to make do with less and less. Once upon a time, this ashram may have been a more prosperous place, with many more students and mahants than are present today. Now, Buddhagupt counted only a dozen aging mahants and a handful of new students. Thirty three refugees sought shelter in the modest thatched hut accommodations of the ashram. Regardless, Buddhagupt persisted on in his task. "This is my burden, and I must see it done" he told himself.

The nights were spent in trying to decipher the box and decode the nine names. While the first name and location were made clear, the remaining eight names were hidden in cleverly crafted codes. The codes he concluded, could only be broken through the puzzle box. However, the only thing the box revealed were locations. It seemed he would have to travel to uncover the first Unknown man to uncover the next and so forth.

"How do I travel to Persepolis? It is a long and perilous journey between here and Persia." the thought put Buddhagupt in a pensive mood. He contemplated over the new turn this quest was taking. In his thoughts, another question came to his mind "Why Persia?..." the more he thought, the more murky the mystery seemed to become. He slept over these questions. The next morning he awoke to an announcement, "In the west, there is war, there is suffering. Over there, we must preach to them, the message of the Buddha, our mahant has thus decided that we must go with Bhikshus to the land of the Parthians and Yavanas. To them we must preach the message of the Buddha. All those who volunteer please come forth", Buddhagupt could not think of a better opportunity than this. "I volunteer!" he said as he came forth. "I shall go with you to Persia".

With that decision made, the Amatya decided one more thing. He would bid a final farewell to his son, whom he had learnt had become the new Minister of Finance. "I must warn him of the danger that has come upon me. Of the duty that I must perform." and so he did. Little did the Amatya know what he would have indadvertedly begun. In the cave at Ashoka's hell, he remembered the elder guardian telling him, of those within the palace who would swear fealty to the shadowy cult known as the 'Minions of death', it figured later in his mind that he should warn his son, now an Amatya in the court of Magadh of the same. The band of monks would make their way West from Magadh joining much larger parties of missionaries making their way West.

It was a harsh journey across over three thousand kilometers. It would take a month before they would cross the perilous deserts of Sindh. Beyond this would be yet greater perils before they would finally reach Persepolis. The fabled city of the Parthian empire was not known till mercenaries came back with stories and descriptions of what they had seen. Many of those who had embarked from Pataliputra could not complete the journey. Some had become exhausted by the long march on foot, others starved while others still fell prey to bandits on the Sindh. "In the days of Samrat Ashok, these lands were at peace, our monks would get guardians from the army. But today, we are forsaken by Bharata" said a teary eyed monk before he breathed his last.

It was a sad, pathetic site to see. Buddhagupt was briefly reminded of his own tryst with Buddha, that did not end well. Yet, the memories brought a tear to Buddhagupt. Despite everything, the band breathed a sigh of relief when they saw before them, the walls of Persepolis. "Praise be to Buddha, the kind and merciful ! We have reached Persepolis!".
"but my work has just begun", Buddhagupt said to himself.

He had zealously guarded the puzzle box and the scrolls within his cloak. At Persepolis, he abandoned his party and went his own way. Buddhagupt saw what was once a grand city ruined by war and corruption. It was the holy city of the faith of Zoroaster and the political centre of the great Parthian Empire. What Darius had lost to the Yavan, the Parthians had sought to regain, but the cost was dear. The scars of war and the poverty it brought was evident for all those who visited Persepolis. Grand old buildings falling to ruin, roadways overcrowded with beggars, slavery on morbid shameless display.

Buddhagupt made his way to a marketplace, where he guessed he would be able to find the person of the name "Ayān" it was not an easy task, there were more than one "Ayāns" that were known. "Perhaps the scrolls would reveal something more" he referred back to what was written in the scroll from the box, hoping to find more details of the man he was searching for. That was when a man approached him, he dressed like a typical Persian noble and looked just as typically Persian, but when he greeted "Suprabhat Arya" (Goodmorning Sir) in proper sanskrit, it left Buddhagupt pleasantly surprised "But how do you know sanskrit ?" the man smiled and answered "I know many languages, I have extensive trade with Kambojas. It hasn't earned me many friends here, though in Persia today, money can buy more than friendship ever can.""I believe you're looking for a person?" Buddhagupt did not know whether he should trust this stranger, but he did not have too many options, it did not help that he had only a perfunctory knowledge of Persian.

"I seek a man named Ayān" he replied, "But there are many by that name my friend, but there can be only one of whom you seek. However, you should know my friend, that you are not the only one who seeks this Ayān." Buddhagupt did not know how to respond to those words. "Come, you need rest and shelter", the stranger took him to his house. From the outside the manse looked as shabby as its surroundings, but within, was a world of luxury. A marbled floor, granite pillars and beautiful persian carpets adorned his house.

"You are welcome to rest here o weary traveller. My slaves shall tend to your needs" the stranger clapped and three beautiful slave girls appeared. "See to it that my guest is well tended to", a bath was readied for Buddhagupt, bread and mead was bought to him. After a month of hard journey, he could finally rest, but he still had not reached his goal. Buddhagupt had freshened up when the stranger returned , "First I feel I must tell you who I am. My name is Hormuz, I am a trader of silk in Persepolis. The precious commodity has brought me much wealth as you can see. Now, let us come to the question at hand," Hormuz' tone turned more serious "You seek the whereabouts of Ayān is it not ?" a nervous Buddhagupt hesitantly said "yes. The purpose however, I cannot divulge" Hormuz smiled and said "You do not need to tell me. We stand on the same side" "And what side may that be, Hormuz ?" The merchant took a moment to reply "We both seek the Nine Unknown" .

Buddhagupt had not expected another man to be involved in the search for the Nine Unknown Men. "How did you know ?" asked a fear stricken Buddhagupt, Hormuz went on to explain "Samrat Ashok had known of the dangers of possessing such great power, such as what the Nine Unknown have. Secrets such as these, must never fall into evil hands. Among the measures taken to safeguard the Nine Unknown, he assigned Nine guardians to their defense. They along with their families, remain forever sworn to the protection of the secret of the Nine Unknown and to defend the world against the evil of the minions of death." "So where now is Ayān ?" Hormuz took a sip from the wine goblet he held, "Ayān was one of the nine guardians. One month ago, he disappeared. I am his brother." The answer left Buddhagupt stunned, all this while, he thought the list of nine names and nine locations were of the actual nine unknown, but if what he heard now were true, it would mean this journey would only uncover one layer of the mystery.

Buddhagupt concluded, "I fear the Minions of death have struck". "The conspiracy is greater than you may think my friend. There are those in the court of Persia who clamor for war. Not with Roma, not with Greece… but with India. Do not think that the minions of death are not involved." "What do you mean ?" "What I mean to say Amatya Buddhagupt, is that the minions of death are after the knowledge of the Nine Unknown for a purpose. In their own twisted thinking, they would find a way to liberate all of mankind only through the mass extermination of the human race. However, they must first create the conditions for attaining this end". Buddhagupt immediately understood what that would involve "A war across the world!" there was disbelief in his words, "That would only be the beginning. One by one, the great empires of the world would collapse into ruin and anarchy. Everywhere there would be death. That is when, the minions will strike with death dealing weaponry of the Nine Unknown" . Suddenly, the whole purpose of the mission seems to have changed to Buddhagupt. It was no longer just about preserving the Nine Unknown, but to save the world from doom.

"How do we stop them?" asked Buddhagupt, "That my friend, is why we are here. You have come this far, with you I think we can go farther. My brother was sworn to secrecy as to where the first of the Nine Unknown were. Undoubtedly he is somewhere in Persepolis, but for each Unknown there are a hundred clones. Finding the right man, is as good as finding a needle in a haystack. However, when I noticed the box in your possession, I knew there was a tool to find out our men." From under his coat, Hormuz took out a collection of parchments and laid it out before Buddhagupt. "These parchments were left to me one day by my brother, the day he said he would go to Susa. It was from that day, he never returned." the parchments contained coordinates, and descriptive texts, but it was written in a jumble. The only way to decipher them was through the puzzle box in Buddhagupt's hands.

To be continued...

and the plot thickens!

OOC: Though the main story will progress as the years go on, this particular side story will stay in c. 100 B.C. Note that progress would be sporadic as school and other more important items start dominating my life.

"This is some very good wine," William Sayer said as he took another sip from his silver goblet.

"Indeed," Gaius Marius said as he took a sip from his own cup. "Finest wine that I can procure."

The two were standing in the courtyard of Gaius's summer home, some kilometers away from Rome itself. The Romans arranged for the conference to take place here, for they did not trust foreigners very much. But they knew the importance of the conference, so not only did they arrange the conference to take place in the palatial mansion of the consul himself, they gave them the most luxurious amenities they had. It was a welcome break from the terrible journey the envoy endured for the last several months, when they endured lashing storms, enemy raids, and scorching desert heat.

The courtyard was in many ways the most prominent example of how the patrician class of Rome lived. It was large; on three sides, it was bounded by fences, while the fourth was bordered by one of the fancy tan-orange walls of the mansion itself. Potted plants were evenly arranged on the wall; above them were many large windows, bringing in as much sorely-needed sunlight into the mansion. The courtyard itself was criss-crossed with meandering stone paths, along which the Praetorian Guards walked to and fro, carrying foodstuffs and other goods. In the center was an empty wooden table ringed by the two men, polished to the point where it glistened in the sun.

William looked at his cup. "It's sweeter than any wine I have tasted it before. Is there a special kind of grape your viniculturists use?"

"Oh no, it's not with the grape," Marius said. "It's sweet because it is prepared with sapa, an extremely sweet syrup prepared from must, or fermented grape juice. The must is boiled in lead pots into defrutum, and is again boiled into sapa. Do you have a similar method of preparation in India?"

William was somewhat horrified from realizing that he had been drinking leaded wine. But as a good diplomat, he was not inclined in informing his host about the dangers of lead poisoning. "I see," William said as he put down his glass of wine on the table.

"What's wrong?" Marius asked as he saw William put down his drink. "Is it too sweet for you?"

"Eh, not really," William said nervously. "It's just that...well, I just don't feel like drinking anymore. I tend to get drunk quite easily. I hope you don't mind."

"That's okay," Marius said. "I have a few friends who are like that. They used to enjoy wine, but as they grew older, whenever they had a drink they started getting these intense pains of the stomach. Eventually their mental and physical abilities declined, even more than with normal aging, and their skin took the appearance of ghosts."

"That's sad," William said. He did not wish to point out that these were symptoms of lead poisoning.

"But anyways, enough with the introductory chatter. What are we here to discuss about?"

"Ah," William said. He grabbed a wooden stool and sat down. He looked to his right at the many windows of Marius's mansion. Through one of them, on the second floor, he could see Sebastian sitting by the window, reading a book. Sebastian was in one of the couple guest rooms that Marius rented out, as a gesture of generosity, to his visitors. If anything, this was the main function of the summer home; Marius himself rarely used it aside from the purpose of meeting with foreign envoys. He simply liked his villa in Rome better.

"After the conquest of the Greek City-States," he began, "you are now the undisputed power of the West. Similarly, we are now the preeminent power of the East. And it would benefit us, according to our Emperor, if we could learn more about your culture, history, and politics. For instance, I have heard that you have a large personal library, with many of your books written by your fellow politicians regarding these exact topics."

"Yes indeed," Marius said. He took a sip of his wine, ignorant of the insidiously harmful properties of lead. "Of course, my main library is within Rome, but this mansion here has its fair share of books. Then again, it's likely that you'll learn just from being with us for a couple months. It doesn't take a philosopher to understand most of the rituals and habits of a society."

A beautiful young woman, with somewhat curly black hair and tan skin, walked up to the table. Her pure white stola flapped in the gentle breeze. "Good morning, my master and his guest," the woman said, her eyes lowered in deference.

William was unsure if he should respond in kind to who was obviously Marius's slave. Instead, he made a utilitarian request: "May you please remove my goblet of wine from the table?"

"I shall do so," the woman said as she gently lifted up the cup. Careful not to let the wine slosh around, she went back to the house.

As he looked at the woman close the back door behind her, his eyes darted to the windows around it. In particular, he saw Sebastian wear an expression unlike any other. It was a weird mixture of one part shock, with another part puzzlement, and a bit of anger that floated to the bottom the pot. His eyes were wide open, and his top teeth were visibly biting his lower lip. For William, it was a fascinating sight that he could not unhook his gaze from.

"Are you okay?" Marius said as he observed William staring at one of his windows. He saw Sebastian. "Is your fellow traveler doing something concerning? I can see that he is looking somewhat...apprehensive, so to speak."

"Um...it's okay," William said. "You know, I would like to know, who is she? And how would a visitor address a slave, particularly in his or her master's presence?"

Before Marius could formulate a response, the woman servant came back, without the cup. She walked up to the table a second time. "What else could I do for you?" she asked William.

"It's okay," William said. Obediently, the woman went inside, in order to tend to other duties.

William again refocused his gaze towards Sebastian. This time, not only were his eyes wider than ever, his mouth was wide open, with his jaw swinging as loosely as a pendulum.

"As I was saying," William said, "Who is this particular woman. She does seem to be causing my friend here some issues of some sort, so I would like to know."

"It's an interesting story, really," Marius began as he took another sip at his wine. This time, he accidentally slurped down a liberal quantity. "Sorry, but anyways. This is one of my household slaves. As with most slaves in Rome, she was captured during battle. Specifically, though, according to the general Lucius Mummius Achaicus, she was for whatever reason frolicking around in the wheat fields during the Battle of Athens. To add to the strangeness, despite being found in Greece, she did not know a word of Greek. She somehow knew Latin, though it was of an atrocious quality. She also knew a form of Persian, though it was unlike any dialect we have encountered before. She also knew a third language, which was unlike any other we seen at all, though it has some Latinate vocabulary in it. Its grammar, however, seems to be more related to the Germanic languages of the northern barbarians.

Anyways, as soon as she knew enough Latin to be understood, she started blabbering about being from the future and all the exotic devices from the future, as well as the alien social orders of the future. I mean, abolition of both slavery and compete equality of women? Forming polities out of thin air simply based on a common birthplace? Completely alien. So we concluded that she was this rambling maniac from Athens who somehow lost all her knowledge and was therefore expelled from the city, in time for the Roman invasion. Though she also happens to not age, which is really strange."

Though he maintained a stoic exterior, a strange, uncomfortable feeling welled up in William's stomach. What if he knows my true identity. I too, am a time traveler from the future who grew up with "exotic" devices and "alien" cultural values. Would he kill me from the spot! But he also wanted to know more about this specific person: "I actually have a more important question. Is it respectable for a foreign dignitary to casually converse with a slave?"

Marius laughed. "Of course not. At the very least, you would have to obtain my permission. And assuming that you want to talk with that female servant that was here recently, of course not. First of all, I wish to treat you as an equal. Slaves are decidedly not equal; they are lower in the social order than free men. And even most free men - in general, the plebeians - are lower on the social ladder than aristocrats like me and, for now, you. It would simply be demeaning for you to talk to her as we do with each other.

"Secondly, she is my property. Imagine that you had a prized possession, say, a slave of your own. I don't know if they actually own slaves in India, but I'd say it's a fair comparison. As a prized possession, it is imperative that I treat her well, such that she would continue working for my benefit. And as a prized possession, I am under no obligation to allow you to freely communicate with her. I don't think that you would cause any trouble, but if I let you talk to her, then I must less other, less scrupulous types to talk to her as well. Do you see the direction I am heading?"

William sighed. All his life, he was taught that slavery, whether it was Roman slavery or American slavery, was an unquestionable wrong. He based his entire life studying the horrible effects and aftereffects of the American chattel slavery institution. And here he was, face-to-face with a man, the most powerful man in the West no less, who believed that slavery was an unquestionable right! Delicately moving away from the subject of slavery, William continued to talk with Marius for another hour before he had to excuse himself.

After going to the bathroom - An actual, albeit primitive, toilet! Finally! - William decided to go upstairs, rather than immediately continuing the conversation with Marius. He walked in Sebastian's room (which was also William's room; it was shared) quite easily, for the door was open. He saw Sebastian gently rocking himself in his chair on the other side of the room, his head facing the window, his body facing to the left wall.

"Hello, Sebastian," William said monotonously.

Sebastian did not immediately respond. He kept looking out of the window, where he observed Marius patiently waiting for William. After a long pause, without turning his head, Sebastian muttered a single phrase, in English. "So it has come to this."

"Yes, I was wrong, you were right. Your wife happens to be here, in all places, in Gaius Marius's frickin' summer house."

"Yes," Sebastian whispered.

"But you know what?" William whispered back. "Your wife's a frickin' slave now, and guess what? There's nothing you can do about it! You came four-whatever thousand miles to Rome, for what? For the Consul of Rome to rub salt on your tender wounds? Do you expect me to do anything? Do you expect me to be the Great Emancipator, the Lincoln before Lincoln?"

"No," Sebastian said, his face still turned away. "I just...just..."

A pang shot up in William's stomach, as he realized that Sebastian was crying.

"Let's talk about this more later," William said. "I'm sorry, Sahib. It's...it's a hard situation. But you know, you know..." He backed slowly up to the door, tiptoeing as he did so. "We'll do...something."

Samrat Vedistri was an inexperienced monarch, but he would soon learn the art of statecraft. Aiding him would be the ministers of Magadh. Under the behest of Empress Naganika the position of a Royal Cartographer was established, who would also act as the minister directing explorations. For long the people of Bharata had lived in ignorance of the rest of the world. Even when traders from all across the world came to our shores attracted by our immense wealth, our people could not travel to their lands for lack of knowledge. All that would change now, as the Royal cartographer, Chitragupt took hold of the ministry for explorations.

The Chola fleet was converted to an exploratory fleet and sent East to discover new trading routes to China, and to discover the fabled lands beyond the Vanga.

Spoiler :

Whilst a warrior was assigned to guard emissaries to Persia and scout the borders of the Parthian empire.

Spoiler :

Whilst all ministers had appointed their successors, the ministry for domestic affairs had gone vacant. Its previous applicant had disappeared, and since then, the ministry was managed by the dowager empress and her son, the reigning Samrat of the empire. Thus, that ministry would pass on to the reigning samrat Vedistri, effectively abolishing it as a separate position.

Samrat Vedistri had learnt from his father on the policy towards forced production. The new social order introduced with the coming of Samrat Satakarni, had seen the rights of the lower castes and Buddhists erode to the levels it was at in the distant past. On the one hand, it made it easier for guilds to recruit workers at lower cost, whilst on the other, it relegated a substantial section of the population to perennial misery. Their lives would be forfeit by virtue of their birth. Samrat vedistri would display this with ample clarity as he moved to rush projects in every city of the empire.

Before he could do this, he would first reorganize production in three cities of the empire. At the behest of Senapati Krishnadev, the emperor issued that a division of spearmen be trained as soon as possible at Takshashila overriding any infrastructural project there may be. At Indraprasth, he issued that resources be preserved for the training of an additional elephant division, soon after the granaries have been built. At Avanti, answering to the constant harassment of pirates, the emperor decreed that a fleet of fighting triremes be commissioned to battle these pirates, that gained precedence over any other project the city undertook.

Spoiler :

Once these projects were set, he directed the workers' guilds to build extensive farmlands for the people of Avanti. Samrat Vedistri decreed "Avanti is the ancestral seat of the Satavahan dynasty. For long had our people been forgotten by the rulers of the North. No more. I hereby order that the plains of the Narmada, endowed with rich fertile black soil be graced by farmland. This shall feed our people in time of need". The time of need had indeed come, for the coasts were plagued once again by the pirates of the Sindh. Only this time, they raided right into the borders of the city of Avanti.

Spoiler :

The walls of the city prevented the pirates from entering, but dozens of fishing villages were destroyed, families were ruined as their daughters were taken as loot of these pirates. It was now necessary to leave the seas and look to the plains for a secure sustenance.

The next priority was the reorganization of the army. For the first time, the army of the Magadhan empire fielded armored elephants, a legacy of Queen Naganika. Senapati Krishnadev prepared plans for the management of the new forces which involved the expansion of the garrison of Herat. An archer division would be placed at Herat in addition to the new elephant division. The defensive infrastructure was nearly completed, and with the additional troops, Herat would become one of the best defended cities of the empire.

Spoiler :

At Takshashila, armor and funds for training a spearmen were made available which prevented the growth of the city. It was not a popular move, but the samrat ensured whatever difficulty would be endured would be in passing and to the minimum. That was the code of Empress Naganika, and that was his rule as well. The provinces generated a regular surplus of grain and resources which replenished them ensuring the cities would go back to their former state after every instance of emergency production. The spearman would be assigned to the garrison of Herat, strengthening it further.

Spoiler :

The riders from the North came as they always did, but this time, they were not faced with the timid pleas of the governor. Instead, they saw before them, a fortified city with a massive army defending it. The horsemen turned back as soon as they had come. The people of Kambojadesa celebrated the peace that this strength had brought. "Samrat Vedistri ki Jay!" (Victory to Samrat Vedistri) was heard day and night at the city. Soon after, reports had come which gratified the emperor further. "The Kushans are embroiled in wars with other fierce tribes farther to the North and East. These tribes raid the lands of the Chin and are now raiding the Kushan cities. The strength of the Kushanas have thus depleted greatly. They would not venture South for long", said the report given by the governor of Herat.

The empire's North Western frontier was thus secured.

Witnessing our power, the Persians requested that we join in their war against the Romans. The Parthian emperor sent an emissary with this message "Persia cannot fight this war alone o great and noble emperor of mighty India. As your ancestors have helped us, to you we implore, that you help us as well" . Samrat Vedistri said only this "I will look into it", so committing nothing nor declining the request, the samrat brushed aside the message and the messenger. The Samrat had decided in his own mind, that we would not participate in any war in the far West. Already, a diplomatic war was on with the last remaining Alexandrian diadochi in Egypt, another would not make sense.

Spoiler :

The minister of foreign affairs Amatya Chiranjeevi had laid out the future plans for diplomatic approaches towards Persia, Roma, Chin, and Egypt. Bharata shall be a friend to all, and shall trade with all.

As with the request from Persia, the request of war from Roma too was turned down.

Spoiler :

Around this time, the villagers of Chola Nadu, had completed setting up extensive pastures for herding cattle. Kanchipuram, which was the best of the Tamil cities, would now grow stronger and larger. Raja Karikaalan proved an able administrator, for his people. However, the sun of the Cholas was setting as it has been doing for the last eight score years.

As the years passed, explorers continued to uncover new lands. It was known only through the rumors of passing merchants and travellers from the West, just how expansive the Parthian empire was. Now, the full extent of the empire was known for certain.

Spoiler :

This was the result of nearly twenty years of explorations. Whilst the faith of Zoroaster was known, a second faith introduced by a foreigner from the East was not as well known outside of Persia. This was the faith of the prophet Laosho, as the Persians called him. The holy city of this faith was at Susa.

Pleased with these findings, the royal cartographer and minister for explorations, Amatya Chitragupt granted further rights of exploration. Farther West, was thought to exist the fabled city of Babylon, where the great rivers of the Tigris and Euphrates flowed, and within whose walls was the most beautiful structure known to man, the hanging gardens of Babylon. When our explorer found the city, it was a near ruin.

Spoiler :

It would seem the Persians and Romans launched a proxy war over Babylon pitting factions of the ruling houses against one another. After the fall of the Alexandrian empire, a descendant of Antiochus III declared the Mesopotamian plains as his own and usurped the seat of Babylon. His reign would not last long, as native Babylonians weary of Greek rule, revolted and overthrew this king. Soon after, Greek mercenaries and soldiers situated in Babylon rushed to the aid of the heir of the Seleucid line and fought a vicious battle with the ruling council of Babylon which had overthrown the king. The Parthians had resorted to support the native Babylonians who related to the Persians as one of their own against the foreign usurper, while the Roman senate paid the seleucid supporters. The ensuing chaos destroyed much of the city leaving a mound of death and destruction. The beautiful gardens of Babylon had withered to a haunted dead ruin.

However, finding Babylon re-introduced us to the Phoenician people. We now found them as vassals of the Romans. When meeting us once again, they invoked the open border agreements with previous rulers of Magadh. Trade started to flow in and a corridor was now open between Bharata and the far west. The Parthian emperor's road linking projects had brought the Magadhan empire in contact with the rest of the Western world. The wealth of our realm would quadruple over the next five years.

While, our warrior was exploring the West, the Chola fleet sailed into the dark lands of the East. A route to China was only theorized from across the Eastern sea, that theory would be put to test as the galley sailed around a previously undiscovered peninsula. Several islands of an archipelago were seen along this journey with splendid fruits and tropical abundance. The sailors named these islands 'suvarnadweep'.

Spoiler :

Further explorations were granted over the next ten years which would see the sailors sail North. There they found a peninsula and a fishing village. As the villager approached the large Chola galleys, he greeted in Chinese, when the sailors asked where to China, he pointed to his village. Thus, had the Eastern boundary of China been discovered.

Spoiler :

Soon the entirety of China would become known to us.

Thirty five years had passed under the reign of Samrat Vedistri, and the realm had become more prosperous than ever before. The cities were larger, and the army was stronger, and it will only increase in strength. A new world was awakening from the fogs of ignorance, which would bring new found wealth, power and prosperity to Bharata. With it, would come new challenges.

There will be two more smaller updates later today, explaining the situation after this update.

Also several important things to note :

1) the Chola-Magadh treaty's time period has ended.

2) Most of the ministers have lived their full term. So a new election and appointment would take place.

3) Julius Caesar came and went. Gaul has been conquered by Rome. Cleopatra rules Egypt now and Egypt is at war with Rome, but Rome is losing.

4) By worldbuilder I have checked that we are currently at 34 BCE. IRL, the Kanvas ruled over the Satavahans from Magadh and the last Kanva ruler was poisoned by Pulovami who re-established Satavahan independence. Here though, the Kanva aren't even present because the Sungas never came. Regardless, Pulovami's story should be made more interesting.

I'll come with the smaller updates later this evening. we're at a very interesting point in the game.

You first statement. What does that entail?

There was a treaty signed which kept the Chola kings in place as governors of Chola Nadu for 100 years. 100 years have passed with the end of this update. Now the line will be stripped of the crown and the administration of Chola Nadu will pass into the hands of the ministry for protectorates and colonies.

Oh yeah. Now I remember. Poor Chola :p

In the tenth year of his reign, Samrat Vedistri visited Takshashila to inspect the city after the forced conscription of the spearmen division. He saw a city that was both grand and miserable, both rich and poor. Towering over everything else, was the grand temple of Brahma, that wondrous temple of marble and black stone built by the great emperor Ajatshatru nearly four centuries ago.

It was said, that every day in Takshashila was a day of miracles. Everyone who had ever visited the temple of Brahma is said to have had a 'spiritually uplifting experience'. There are even those, who claim to have seen the holy one in his full form. The night after Samrat Vedistri's arrival to Takshashila, he went for a stroll around the gardens of the governors house.

Just outside the walls of the palatial compound, dozens of beggars slept on the dirt roads leading to the governor's palace. Samrat Vedistri walked around the gardens at night pondering on the decision to conscript several thousands of Takshashila's citizens into a spearmen division. "Will I be known as a just ruler ? Have I really upheld my rajdharma? What will be the consequences of my actions...". When the samrat returned to his bedchamber on the upper floor of the palace, he could see the beggars shivering in the cold night sleeping without shelter.

Against all conventional wisdom of preservig his personal security, he ventured out. He took with him several blankets, to aid the beggars. One of the beggars whom he draped the blanket around, took a hand out and grabbed the samrat by his wrist. "Unhand me!" the emperor exclaimed, but then he noticed something strange about this hand, it started to turn blue. Suddenly, the frail tanned hands of the beggar turned into a firm strong hand but with blue color.

The beggar uncovered himself and stood before Samrat Vedistri. In his right hand he held a massive iron trident, and around his neck was a coiled serpant. His hair was tied in a conical bun. This was no beggar, this was no man, "Lord Shiva..." the emperor said in a shaking voice as he knelt before the God of destruction.

Shiva's voice thundered, "Vedistri ! You have brought suffering and pain to my people in the land of Bharat ! You are deserving of punishment!" he raised his trident in position to behead the samrat, but just before he was about to make the lethal strike, he restrained his blow. "I will give you one chance to atone for this sin." "Tell me o merciful one, what must this forsaken soul do to atone for his sins.." "You must stay in Takshashila for a week, build here a place of pilgrimage. In this place of pilgrimage, you must endow so much wealth so as to feed two hundred thousand of the poorest and most wretched in the empire. You must feed the poorest of the brahmans, and make provision for their care. Do this, and I shall not only spare you of my wrath, but bless you and your dynasty". "I shall do as you command o lord.. I shall do as you command o lord..." The samrat reopened his eyes and stood up to find that all the beggars had gone, and there were only blankets left where they seemed to be sleeping just moments ago.

The next morning, Samrat Vedistri saw the sufferings of his people. Takshashila like most cities in the empire, were characterized with the most extreme inequities. The wealthy gorged on their wealth, while the poor lived under conditions even animals should not be subjected to. The emperor announced that day of the miracle that he had seen the night before and thus commissioned a pilgrimage site on the walls of Takshashila where the poor would be fed and kept in care. After making this announcement Samrat Vedistri gifted every gold ornament in his garb to temple mahants of the temple of Brahma. Pilgrims from all across the empire and some from beyond its borders came to see the pilgrimage site where a beautiful temple of Shiva was established.

Spoiler :

Link to video.

On the golden sands of the beaches of Kanchipuram, Raja Karikaalan looked on the setting sun. The sky had turned red with the setting sun. The sea below had seemed to have turned red as well. "The gods are crying tears of blood" Raja Karikaalan thought. It was a day that he and his ancestors had dreaded ever since the hordes from the North had laid waste to the Tamil lands. Kanchipuram was spared the carnage, but the price was independence.

Raja Karikaalan had realized this as his reign came near an end. The hundred years, that his predecessor and he had ruled the Chola lands, were but a generosity granted to him by the Northern emperors. It was Samrat Satakarni who wrote the end of his dynasty and of an independent Tamil civilization. "We dreamt of greatness.. of glory. That our sangam literature and culture would endure through the ages. Alas! It has all come to naught" Raja Karikaalan said to himself, as the final glimmer of the setting sun faded into the Eastern sea.

In the palace, he spoke with his only close confidant, the king's aide. The Chola kings had retained an antiquated administrative system which employed theological advisors akin to the King's Council of ancient times in Magadh. "When the sun comes back to grace the day, this throne shall be taken away from me. I shall be stripped of my title, and cast off from this palace, that has been the home of our dynasty since generations. This is the curse bequeathed to me, by my grandfather. Tell me Acharya, how do I retain my honor from this humiliation?" The acharya walked to the saddened and aged king to console him. He put his hand on his shoulder "You have served your people ably. Kanchipuram is more prosperous than before, the people of Chola Nadu have ample food and shelter under your grace", but the Acharya's consolations did not satisfy the king, "Consolation does not change the truth Acharya! What am I but the servant of usurers ?" "Do not think that your grace. You will always be the only rightful ruler of this land. It is your's by right. That is something to fight for".

Raja Karikaalan had a son by his wife, the erstwhile Queen of Chola Nadu. The queen died on giving birth to the crown prince Nedu Killi. The acharya held the infant in his hand, "See your offspring Raja. The Chola dynasty lives, and it lives in your son. When he grows up, he will hear only good about you and the great line of the Cholas" "He will inherit nothing and live with me the life of an exile. What life is that Acharya ?" "And from exile he shall return to claim what is his" "What are you saying ...?" the acharya kept the infant in his crib and replied with a stern voice "You desire honor. For you, for your people. You desire a way to die an honorable death if nothing else. You are a warrior Karikaalan. There are two paths before you today. One is the path of defeat, where you surrender this crown and this title to the Samrat of Magadh. The other is the path of the warrior, where you fight for yourself, and for the Chola nation. The first path leads to certain defeat, the second path leads to uncertainty", the king went into a deep contemplative mood over these suggestions.

The Acharya suggested was rebellion. The last time that any Tamil king raised his sword against the force of the North, was when every Tamil kingdom was destroyed in a fiery bloody inferno by the army of Magadh, would he invite that fate upon his people ? When Chola Nadu was finally experiencing peace and prosperity. The acharya then proposed a third alternative "Between these two alternatives, exists a third alternative. That is enshrined in your son o king. He shall become the future of the Chola nation, in him would like our redemption. Chose exile with the prince, I shall make it so that you find exile in Singhal dweep (Sri Lanka) . Over there, you will find more of our brethren, they shall aid in your cause to reclaim Tamil lands. Live among them, and you shall prosper with them." The king looked at the Acharya as if he had brought him relief from the greatest pains. This was a solution that Raja Karikaalan could accept.

"You have served me ably Acharya. This Karikaalan, and the entire Chola dynasty shall be forever in debt to you" the Acharya knelt before the king "No raja ! I am merely doing my duty. To the realm, and to the Chola Dynasty." "In the next morning we shall crown Nedu Killi as the heir to the Chola throne.

The Chola kings had no independent army of their own. Though among the soldiery stationed in Chola Nadu, the overwhelming majority were Tamil and were fiercely loyal to their king, but within his own palace, the samrats of Magadh had kept their own as spies. Maids, cooks, bodyguards and a small battalion of archers to help guard the city limits, all were in one way or another under the thumb of the Magadhan emperors. In the stilness of the night, there were only three sounds that could be heard in the palace. The waves of the ocean, the swaying of the trees and the calls of birds and other animals of the night. That night, an ominous howling of a lone wolf was heard in the distance. The sound had disturbed the raja so much that he could not sleep. The prince too had been awoken by the sounds. In the darkest hour of the night, he woke up and walked to the balcony "Guards !... Guards !" he shouted "Find that godforsaken dog that's making this howling noise and make it quiet !"

While the king was distracted, assassins emerged from the dark shadows of the king's bedchamber. Suddenly, the cries of the infant prince had stopped, yet the howls went on. The silence felt odd to Karikaalan, he walked to his crib to find the child had disappeared. The king's face went pale with horror. "Guaarrds!! ... " The king shrieked out with equal parts anger and fear. "Servants !! Guards !! ..." The king frantically called upon every attendant whom he could think of. "Your crown prince has gone missing. Find him, find him at once!" he ordered his guards and servants.

They searched high and low for the infant prince. It was not odd for the one year old to walk out of his crib now and then. It had scared the king often, but this was unprecedented. His heart pounded against his chest and he breathed more rapidly, his hands started shaking. The palace was relit for the search. Every guard and every attendant had been mobilized for the search. Hours went by, hours more would go till dawn came. ". His own words began to haunt him, "When the sun comes back to grace the day, this throne shall be taken away from me." , in the wee hours of the morning, his advisor came to him visibly shaken, the sight of him was enough to scare the living daylights out of the Raja. "W..ww What is it .. did you find him.. did you find my boy?" , the acharya brought before the king, the body of a boy shrouded in white cloth, it was covered in bloodstains. When the shroud was removed, the grisly sight of an infant whose limbs were brutally severed was presented before the king.

The Acharya swallowed and tried to hold back his tears when saying "The crown prince, and heir to the Chola throne, Prince Nedu Killi, has been killed." the Raja could not bear to see the sight of his child mangled . He stood there speechless for a long time, before finally breaking down. In his last impulse the king took hold of his dagger on his waist belt, and cut open his throat. "Naaaaaa" the Acharya screamed, as the last Chola king, took his own life. Thus ended the story of the Chola dynasty.

The story of the king's death and the death of the crown prince had made its way back to Magadh. That day Prince Pulomavi slept a most sound sleep.

With the end of 21 turns, I am reopening ministerial positions for fresh applicants. I request existing players to check with the group to check on the terms of each players which are still valid. Each of the ministers have already finished their 35 year term and go into compulsory retirement. Therefore, new characters will be assigned to the new players.

Open ministerial positions :

Minister of foreign affairs :

Minister of Finance :

Minister of Domestic affairs :

Commander-in-chief of armed forces :

Minister of protectorates and colonies :

In order to apply for a position just post the ministerial post in bold letters. e.g :Minister of Finance Once you are chosen you will be added to the Ministers of Magadh group and asked to frame your policies for 7 game turns.

The ministry shall be finalized either on Saturday night or Sunday morning.

Note : While the position for the ministry for explorations is a temporary and changing one, the position of the Royal Cartographer is permanent.

Two things

1. Wow! You posted those three chapters in 1 day! They were great.

2. Does this mean I can't re-apply for minister?

Atlantic's and adhiraj's stories are getting better and better. Now I can't let an update go unread. :goodjob:

It seems my position at exploration isn't in the list, so will I still be in this position for this term?

Top Bottom