Altered Maps XIV: Cartographical Consistency

Somewhere in 1444, a random western court...

"My King. I have news."
"What, my marshal?"
"Your son. He's positive."
"Positive what?"
"Positive for Habsburg, Sire."
"..bloody Hell!"

You're a Pole, aren't you?

Yes, and I won't let the Habsburg foe Germanize my jaw! (watch the video below to understand what I mean). :p

Another map: Countries who mention God in their national anthem:

Up next week: A map of countries who mention Dog in their national anthem.

Polish one doesn't mention God - but it was a close call, because "Rota" had a real chance of becoming the Polish national anthem:

Rota (English subtitles)

Link to video.

Rota's lyrics were written in 1908 by a poet, novelist, writer and an activist for women's rights and Polish independence, Maria Konopnicka:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Konopnicka (born in Suwałki / Suvalkai in 1842; died in Lwów / Lviv in 1910):

Music was composed 2 years later - in 1910 - by Feliks Nowowiejski (born in Barczewo / Wartenburg in East Prussia in 1877; died in Poznań in 1946):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feliks_Nowowiejski

Photos: https://www.google.pl/search?q=Feli...C4Dw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1525&bih=691&dpr=0.9

I was more surprised that a lot of Muslim countries don't mention God in their anthems.

Algeria, Syria, Egypt, and Yemen are secular Nasserist regimes, so of course they don't mention God.

Islamic fundamentalism as we know it is a decidedly recent phenomenon fuelled by Gulf oil money and American aid money.

Palynological map (based on pollen diagrams, etc.) of Early Medieval Germany (7th century AD):

Siedlungsraum = settlement areas (or, in fact, farmlands)
Wald = forests
Heide, Sumpf, Bruch = heaths, swamps, Bruch (?)
Marsch = marshes
Moor = moors / bogs

Somewhere in 1444, a random western court...

"My King. I have news."
"What, my marshal?"
"Your son. He's positive."
"Positive what?"
"Positive for Habsburg, Sire."
"..bloody Hell!"

:lol:

Palynological map (based on pollen diagrams, etc.) of Early Medieval Germany (7th century AD):

Siedlungsraum = settlement areas (or, in fact, farmlands)
Wald = forests
Heide, Sumpf, Bruch = heaths, swamps, Bruch (?)
Marsch = marshes
Moor = moors / bogs

This is fascinating. How do you find out stuff like that anyways? Do you look though layers in the earth?

That pollen map is unusual, certainly, but I struggle to find any conceivable relevance to anybody not doing a specific PhD thesis.

How do you find out stuff like that anyways? Do you look though layers in the earth?

Yeap you look through layers in the earth corresponding to archaeological periods.

Apart from maps you can also make diagrams / charts of pollen types and amount, which help to estimate population density.

For example this is a pollen diagram for Schleswig-Holstein (including Angeln and southern Jutland) - period "13" are 6th - early 7th centuries AD, and it shows evidence of a serious depopulation in Schleswig-Holstein during that time. This period corresponds to migrations of Angles and Jutes from those regions (Angeln-Jutland) to Britain; but it also corresponds to the "year without a Summer" (536 AD), after which plague and starvation swept through Europe:

The more pollen, the greater was human activity with plants (and therefore most certainly also population density):

This diagram should be read from the bottom to the top (chronologically the earliest time is at the bottom).

Anglo-Saxon chronicler Bede (died 735 AD) also mentioned the land of "Angulus desertus" (deserted Angeln), where only few people lived at that time.

That period of serious depopulation in Schleswig-Holstein (6th century AD), was followed by immigration of Slavic peoples to eastern Holstein. In the same time there was apparently also a large-scale population replacement in Denmark - Danish peoples settled in lands abandoned by Jutes and Angles.

================================================

As you can see the evidence for Anglo-Saxon-Jute immigration is not only in Britain, but also in places from which they had emigrated.

Good. glad we voted no. "Combating glorification" probably translates into "forbidding free speech" so yeah, vote no.

Your pic includes Crimea as voting in favour of this new resolution…

Got curious about this.

Spoiler :
The Committee then took up a text on combating glorification of Nazism, neo-Nazism and other practices that contribute to fuelling contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance (document A/C.3/69/L.56/Rev.1).

Speaking before the vote, the representative of Ukraine said Stalinism had killed many people in the Gulag, condemning Hitler and Stalin alike as international criminals. Calling on the Russian Federation to stop glorifying and feeding Stalinism, he said he could not support the draft text. Any intolerance should be dealt with in an appropriate and balanced manner, he added. The manipulation of history for one’s own political agenda was wrong, he said, noting that the Russian Federation was supporting neo-Nazi groups and terrorist groups in Crimea. The proposed draft resolution sent the wrong message, he added, saying he would vote against it.

A delegate of Belarus noted the growth of neo-Nazi movements that was occurring under the pretext of freedom of speech. She then expressed her concern over the use of the Internet and social media to propagate national superiority. As every fourth inhabitant of her country had died in the Second World War, she reiterated the importance of the draft resolution, and encouraged Member States to support it.

Speaking in explanation of vote before vote, the representative of the United States said she had joined other countries in expressing abhorrence for attempts to promote Nazi ideology, and condemning all forms of religious or ethnic hatred. Her delegation was concerned about the overt political motives that had driven the main sponsor of the current resolution. That Government had employed those phrases in the current crisis in Ukraine. That was offensive and disrespectful to those who had suffered at the hands of Nazi regimes. Therefore, the United States would vote against the resolution.

The text was then approved by a record vote of 115 in favour, 3 against (Canada, Ukraine, United States), with 55 abstentions.

Speaking in explanation of vote after the vote, the representative of Italy, speaking on behalf of the European Union, said the Union was committed to fight against racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance with comprehensive efforts at national, regional and international levels. While States were free to decide what to include in the draft text, he noted that the Union was concerned about the sincerity of the text, as the main sponsor had violated the human rights.

Also speaking in explanation of vote after the vote, the representative of Liechtenstein, speaking on behalf of Iceland, Switzerland and her country, said they were against all sorts of extremist political parties, movements and groups, including neo-Nazis and skinhead groups, as well as racist extremist movements and ideologies. However, they had decided to abstain from voting.

Also explaining his country’s position after the vote, Equatorial Guinea’s representative said African countries knew well about racism and apartheid. His delegation had voted in favour of the text, and wanted all sorts of Nazi groups to be labelled as terrorists.

The representative of Norway stated that her delegation had aligned itself with the European Union statement delivered on behalf of the representative of Italy.

http://www.un.org/press/en/2014/gashc4124.doc.htm

The resolution itself:
http://daccess-dds-ny.un.org/doc/UNDOC/GEN/N14/634/66/PDF/N1463466.pdf

Pretty boring stuff really.

Map: Territories inhabited by Slavic peoples in the mid-9th century (ca. 850 AD):

(thick black lines) ludność słowiańska w zdecydowanej przewadze ======== Slavic population constitutes vast majority
(thin black lines) ludność słowiańska w rozproszeniu ================== dispersed settlement of Slavic population
(small red circles) ludność słowiańska poza głównym terytorium osiedlenia == Slavic people outside of main settlement area

Boundaries of ethnic Slavic territories underlined:

Map is originally from:

"Słowianie, ich wędrówki, siedziby i otoczenie etniczne we wczesnośredniowiecznej Europie"
("Slavs, their migrations, homelands and ethnic environment in Early Medieval Europe")
by Adam Sengebusch

========================================

And by comparison situation around 350 (or a bit more) years earlier:

Here is the probable (mostly according to archaeology) extent of Slavic-inhabited territories (a, b, c, h) shortly before 500 AD:

In the 6th century AD they expanded rapidly.

The largest Slavic settlement from that period, found so far, was Prague (over 600 houses in the late late 6th century):

http://www.archaeobotany.org/download/posters/novak_roztoky_abstract_whv2010.pdf

Algeria, Syria, Egypt, and Yemen are secular Nasserist regimes, so of course they don't mention God.

Didn't know Nasserism was secular.. and in fact did not know anything about it at all. Will have to read that wikipedia article sometime.

Got curious about this.

<snip>

Pretty boring stuff really.

The Russian line is that the new Ukrainian regime are neo-Nazis. So this is essentially a piece of propaganda against Kiev. I assume there may well be a timebomb hidden inside the text. It may be the part that says nobody co-operating with the Nazis can be described as part of a national liberation movement - there certainly were Ukrainians who claimed to do so.

Although I seem to remember that Moscow co-operated pretty closely with the Nazis for a while and would liked to have done so for longer.

Somebody in Foggy Bottom/Whitehall/Elyseé should have had a miserable weekend after their boss spoke to them about this, though. The resolution was sponsored by the DPRK, who should not be giving anyone lessons in human rights.

Without the Soviet Union supplying Berlin, Germany probably wouldn't have been able to launch its offensives in 1939. Still, this is no the WH forum, but Altered Maps. And it somehow appears that Domen's maps count Volga Bulgaria as Slavs&#8230;

Top Bottom