A Tryst with Destiny

Why did you place me on the rebel faction? I support the ascendancy of the prince. Also, I already said I quit.

@DKVM - After Caterpillar gave his vote, you said in the interests of averting a civil war, you would accept the emperor's last wish. Now I've deleted that message because after a voting is done I delete messages leaving only the conclusion of votes.

By quit I thought you meant you would quit after overseeing the civil war.

@DKVM - After Caterpillar gave his vote, you said in the interests of averting a civil war, you would accept the emperor's last wish. Now I've deleted that message because after a voting is done I delete messages leaving only the conclusion of votes.

By quit I thought you meant you would quit after overseeing the civil war.

Yes but then CK switched his vote JUST to start a civil war thus invalidating the reason for me switching making it perfectly logical sense that I would go back to my original position. Also, I will not oversee a faction I don't want to win in-story.

I'll send something it to tomorrow.

Pataliputra was still burning. The flaming embers of rebellion continued to flicker long after the mutiny of the garrison was over. Amatya Bhimdev stood at his balcony witnessing a scarred city. Smoke still kept billowing out from burning houses. If one kept listening for long enough, he could hear the moans of dying men.

Monks from the Mahabodhi sangh carried out relief work throughout the day tending to the wounded and homeless. Almost one half of Pataliputra's garrison had revolted when the news of Senapati Vijayanand's arrest came out. Amatya Bhimdev could remember the sights of the night of the mutiny. The garrison troops on the South wall and West wall were first to come out in mutiny and attempt to storm the palace, the soldiers on the North wall followed.

The newly crowned Samrat Puttalaka had ordered "no mercy on the mutineers" yet for all his impassioned rage, he was not the one who dealt with the mutiny. That task fell upon the aged shoulders of Amatya Bhimdev and Amatya Kartikeya. The soldiers on the East wall were new recruits fresh off training, they were the only troops who remained loyal among the garrison forces. They were called to defend the palace grounds.

The ministers feared the worst. The mutiny had to be crushed, it was a life or death question for the monarchy now. "They will burn !" Samrat Puttalaka shouted in anger, " I will see them all in hell."
"If their progress is not halted they will see you in hell first." Amatya Kartikeya replied,
"We must hold them long enough till reinforcements come. The loyalists are not strong enough to hold the mutineers off." Amatya Bhimdev noted,
"We must summon support from Kashi."
"The Nagas … they have been quiet for long. Would they take up arms again?"
"They would, if threatened."
"How dare they.. how dare they raise their pathetic voice! " Samrat Puttalaka shouted again,
Amatya Kartikeya moved to pacify him, "Samrat, we are trying our best to bring this situation under control."
"Damn you and your plans ! I am the emperor ! I speak with a lion's voice. Nations great and small tremble before me. I can do whatever I want!"
Amatya Bhimdev held the young emperor by his shoulders and shook him, "Calm yourself Samrat !"

Samrat Puttalaka calmed down and took his seat on the lion throne of Magadh. "Do we then settle on calling the Naga Sanyasis from Kashi ?" Amatya Kartikeya asked,
"No, we call troops from the garrison of Kashi. Let them know that their samrat is in peril. The warrior monks will come on their own."

Many hours had passed, the sun had set but the besieging mutineers continued to threaten the palace. In despair the samrat and the royal family had to hide in the secret inner chambers of the palace, whilst the soldiers kept fighting a losing battle. The palace walls were made sturdy after the peasant rebellion near the end of Pulovami's reign. With these walls the palace had become a virtual citadel within Pataliputra. It was the most well defended structure of Pataliputra. Standing against four thousand mutineering soldiers, were one thousand loyal troops.

Both sides fought hard, but neither gained so much as an inch. The mutineers lacked leadership, having murdered their own officers, whilst the loyalists had both leadership and the defender's advantage. For twelve hours they held on, as Pataliputra burned in the fires of rebellion. The siege was finally relieved when the auxiliary had arrived from Kashi. Three thousand archers and one thousand warrior monks armed with tridents attacked the mutineers butchering them mercilessly.

The city remained tense and violent through the night. Whilst the army of Magadh fought amongst itself, Senapati Vijayanand had made his escape. Amatya Bhimdev reflected on his actions, his success in defeating the mutiny yet failing to prevent Senapati Vijayanand's escape.

"Amatya Bhimdev." it was Kartikeya, who had come with a final request. "Are you sure about this ? Do you want to go ahead with this, at this time ?"
"Yes Amatya, it is time for me to leave." Bhimdev walked back to his chamber and organized his papers one last time.
"I have served the realm for thirty five years of my life. It is time that it comes to an end." he took a long sigh and then continued, "I leave with one regret, that I am leaving a realm in turmoil."
"If you truly regret this, then why not stay, let us fight for the betterment of this realm."
"Amatya… no. What is done is done, I cannot take back the decisions I have made."
Bhimdev arose, and prepared to leave. "I am leaving Pataliputra. I have left enough for my family. I will leave for mount Kailash and join the sangh. Perhaps through selfless service I will find redemption for my errors."
"Then I will not stop you Amatya."
"I have thought about who would fill my position.."
"I would not make new appointments as of now. Let Samrat Puttalaka's reign stabilize."

Amatya Bhimdev was disappointed at Kartikeya's proposal, he had intended to place his son on the ministry he held. "You have also finished thirty five years in service. By the laws of the land, you too are due for retirement."
"What are you suggesting Amatya Bhimdev ?"
"That with my departure, and the expulsion of the other ministers there are no more ministers to administer the empire… except you."
Kartikeya folded his hands and closed his eyes, "If that is the burden passed on to me, then I must bear it."
Bhimdev stood up and patted Kartikeya on the shoulder, "Greed and ambition are poison my friend. Do not let it consume you."

With those words, Amatya Bhimdev left.

Spoiler :
I'd like to Thank baseballpie for being part of this story and building it. you will be missed. :)

Pataliputra was still burning. The flaming embers of rebellion continued to flicker long after the mutiny of the garrison was over. Amatya Bhimdev stood at his balcony witnessing a scarred city. Smoke still kept billowing out from burning houses. If one kept listening for long enough, he could hear the moans of dying men.

Monks from the Mahabodhi sangh carried out relief work throughout the day tending to the wounded and homeless. Almost one half of Pataliputra's garrison had revolted when the news of Senapati Vijayanand's arrest came out. Amatya Bhimdev could remember the sights of the night of the mutiny. The garrison troops on the South wall and West wall were first to come out in mutiny and attempt to storm the palace, the soldiers on the North wall followed.

The newly crowned Samrat Puttalaka had ordered "no mercy on the mutineers" yet for all his impassioned rage, he was not the one who dealt with the mutiny. That task fell upon the aged shoulders of Amatya Bhimdev and Amatya Kartikeya. The soldiers on the East wall were new recruits fresh off training, they were the only troops who remained loyal among the garrison forces. They were called to defend the palace grounds.

The ministers feared the worst. The mutiny had to be crushed, it was a life or death question for the monarchy now. "They will burn !" Samrat Puttalaka shouted in anger, " I will see them all in hell."
"If their progress is not halted they will see you in hell first." Amatya Kartikeya replied,
"We must hold them long enough till reinforcements come. The loyalists are not strong enough to hold the mutineers off." Amatya Bhimdev noted,
"We must summon support from Kashi."
"The Nagas … they have been quiet for long. Would they take up arms again?"
"They would, if threatened."
"How dare they.. how dare they raise their pathetic voice! " Samrat Puttalaka shouted again,
Amatya Kartikeya moved to pacify him, "Samrat, we are trying our best to bring this situation under control."
"Damn you and your plans ! I am the emperor ! I speak with a lion's voice. Nations great and small tremble before me. I can do whatever I want!"
Amatya Bhimdev held the young emperor by his shoulders and shook him, "Calm yourself Samrat !"

Samrat Puttalaka calmed down and took his seat on the lion throne of Magadh. "Do we then settle on calling the Naga Sanyasis from Kashi ?" Amatya Kartikeya asked,
"No, we call troops from the garrison of Kashi. Let them know that their samrat is in peril. The warrior monks will come on their own."

Many hours had passed, the sun had set but the besieging mutineers continued to threaten the palace. In despair the samrat and the royal family had to hide in the secret inner chambers of the palace, whilst the soldiers kept fighting a losing battle. The palace walls were made sturdy after the peasant rebellion near the end of Pulovami's reign. With these walls the palace had become a virtual citadel within Pataliputra. It was the most well defended structure of Pataliputra. Standing against four thousand mutineering soldiers, were one thousand loyal troops.

Both sides fought hard, but neither gained so much as an inch. The mutineers lacked leadership, having murdered their own officers, whilst the loyalists had both leadership and the defender's advantage. For twelve hours they held on, as Pataliputra burned in the fires of rebellion. The siege was finally relieved when the auxiliary had arrived from Kashi. Three thousand archers and one thousand warrior monks armed with tridents attacked the mutineers butchering them mercilessly.

The city remained tense and violent through the night. Whilst the army of Magadh fought amongst itself, Senapati Vijayanand had made his escape. Amatya Bhimdev reflected on his actions, his success in defeating the mutiny yet failing to prevent Senapati Vijayanand's escape.

"Amatya Bhimdev." it was Kartikeya, who had come with a final request. "Are you sure about this ? Do you want to go ahead with this, at this time ?"
"Yes Amatya, it is time for me to leave." Bhimdev walked back to his chamber and organized his papers one last time.
"I have served the realm for thirty five years of my life. It is time that it comes to an end." he took a long sigh and then continued, "I leave with one regret, that I am leaving a realm in turmoil."
"If you truly regret this, then why not stay, let us fight for the betterment of this realm."
"Amatya… no. What is done is done, I cannot take back the decisions I have made."
Bhimdev arose, and prepared to leave. "I am leaving Pataliputra. I have left enough for my family. I will leave for mount Kailash and join the sangh. Perhaps through selfless service I will find redemption for my errors."
"Then I will not stop you Amatya."
"I have thought about who would fill my position.."
"I would not make new appointments as of now. Let Samrat Puttalaka's reign stabilize."

Amatya Bhimdev was disappointed at Kartikeya's proposal, he had intended to place his son on the ministry he held. "You have also finished thirty five years in service. By the laws of the land, you too are due for retirement."
"What are you suggesting Amatya Bhimdev ?"
"That with my departure, and the expulsion of the other ministers there are no more ministers to administer the empire… except you."
Kartikeya folded his hands and closed his eyes, "If that is the burden passed on to me, then I must bear it."
Bhimdev stood up and patted Kartikeya on the shoulder, "Greed and ambition are poison my friend. Do not let it consume you."

With those words, Amatya Bhimdev left.

Spoiler :
I'd like to Thank baseballpie for being part of this story and building it. you will be missed. :)

I love it. Thank you. :love:

That was great :)

:clap:

well its been long enough waiting now, I think we should just move with the game. I am going to give two more days for each faction to decide their plans in finality. Then I'll play them out in my game and decide from that which plan I'd like to see succeed. ( like in the previous rebellion )

Samrat Puttalaka sat very anxiously on the lion throne of Magadh. His arch enemy had escaped, their whereabouts unknown. Magadh remained tense after the suppression of the mutiny of the garrison troops. His reign had begun on weak foundations, most of his ministers had either retired, died or escaped, and his only advisor, Amatya Kartikeya had ministerial power. The emperor sat on the throne, and his 'Maha-Amatya' sat below on the seat of the Prime minister.

A guard came before them, announcing the coming of a messenger from the isle of Sri Lanka. "King Amandagamani Abhaya has sent an emissary with a message for the Samrat."
"Let him enter" Kartikeya said. The emissary entered, a short dark man garbed in the attire of a Lankan bureaucrat. He bowed before the emperor,
"Samrat Puttalaka ki jai. Raja Amandagamani Abhaya sends his regard to the chakravartin samrat Puttalaka. I am here to recite an oral message from the king of Lanka."
"Speak" Puttalaka ordered,
The emissary began , "O wise and powerful emperor, Chakravartin Samrat, Puttalaka. For long our two nations have been merged in a benevolent alliance with one another. That alliance bounded by ties of blood through the marriage of my daughter into the house of Satavahanas.

For ages, our people dwelled in serene caves and bountiful forests on the isle of Lanka. but through the efforts of my father, the esteemed king Mahadatitha Mahanaga, has organized the humble village of Anuradhapura into a flourishing administrative town. We now wish to remain under the suzerainty of Magadh and seek the protection of the crown over our lands.

This therefore, is my humble request to you, O Samrat, that you accept us to the enlightened empire of Bharata."

Samrat Puttalaka smiled expansively and steepled his hands. "Your king is most wise. For it is not merely ties of blood, but the truth of the overwhelming strength of Magadh that ensures all kingdoms within the lands of Bharata and even those nearby shall accept our suzerainty and sovereignty."

Kartikeya looked at the emissary with more suspicious eyes, as if a hundred questions were playing in his mind…or a thousand schemes. "I accept the offer of the noble king Amandagamani Abhaya. I will have the scribes ready the scrolls for the terms of subjugation of Lanka and have it sent to Amatya Martand in Parasika."
"Well thought Maha-amatya."
"Your excellency is most wise. I shall send in the news of your acceptance to our king at Anuradhapura."

------------------------------------

One week earlier -

Niyogi and Vijayanand travelled for many days down the Ganga. During the course of their travel they adopted many identities to escape the authorities. Samrat Puttalaka had placed a price on their heads, fifty gold ingots for whoever would capture the renegade ministers. "What have we come to Niyogi" Vijayanand lamented, "We were once men of honor, we had respect and standing, and now, we hide ourselves like fugitives."
Amatya Niyogi put his hand on Vijayanand's shoulder and said "Those who walk the path of righteousness must go through many torments. We are walking a righteous path my friend, do not lose heart."
"Boatman. How much longer till we reach the sea?"
"Amatya, we have already entered into the land of Vanga and are only a day's journey from Tamralipt."
"We should rest a day at Tamralipt and then sail the sea. The queen had informed me that a galley would arrive there which would take us to the Southern province of Chola Nadu and the port of Kanchipuram."
"Kanchipuram.. it is where I began my training under Senapati Virappalli, and now I return there. hm, the circle is complete."
"Fate indeed brings us a full circle."

The duo and their boatmen had rested overnight in the town of Tamralipti in Southern Vanga. This is where the Ganga drains into the great Eastern Sea, a sacred site which gathers thousands of pilgrims from across the realm and beyond. At the port of Tamralipt, Niyogi and Vijayanand searched for their transport. "Did Empress Lilavati give any information on the mark that the ship would bear ? Anything that we would recognize ?" Vijayanand asked,
"She said, that the ship would be a Tamil ship and bear the mark of Lanka."
"Lanka ? So the king of Sri Lanka is aiding us ?"
"How not ? Dowager empress Lilavati is the sister of the Lankan king after all."
"Lanka is a protectorate of Magadh. The king would play a dangerous game aiding us and making enemies with the throne."

Vijayanand scanned the docks for ships, he could see three ships with the blue banner of Lanka but none of them sea going galleys.There were dozens of ships berthed on the dock at Tamralipt, ships from China, ships from Roma, ships from the Southern provinces, but none from Lanka. Then from across the horizon there came a small galley. A blue banner fluttered above its sails, the banner of the kingdom of Lanka. "There is our ship" said Amatya Niyogi. They waited for the ship to berth on the docks. A man came down from the galley garbed in the clothing of a lankan bureaucrat. He walked down to greet Vijayanand, "Greetings my friend. Raja Amandagamani Abhaya has been eagerly waiting you."
"And you are ?"
"I am Mahinda, the emissary from Lanka to Magadh."
"So you must go on to Pataliputra is it not ?"
"That is so. You should come inside."

The boatman bowed and took his leave, "Arya, my part in this journey ends here." he bowed and touched Vijayanand's feet and then Niyogi's feet, a mark of respect for the noblemen. "Do not go to Pataliputra Sevak. You should return to your village."
"I will remember the honor of serving you." and with those words, the boatman left having saved the core of dissidence against Puttalaka's reign.

"If you please, come with us inside the galley. There is a message that I have been instructed to share in secrecy with you." the emissary boarded the ship along with Vijayanand and Niyogi. They sat in the captain's cabin, there the emissary revealed his master's secret.
"Raja Amandagamani has not been isolated with the developments at Pataliputra. He has been in constant communication with his sister, the Dowager Empress. Together, they have planned your escape, and for toppling the reign of Puttalaka."
Niyogi and Vijayanand were surprised by this revelation. They had thought till now, that empress Lilavati's role in this intrigue had ended the night they had escaped from Pataliputra, how mistaken they were.
"Where are we headed in this ship ?" Vijayanand questioned sternly.
the emissary smiled and said, "Anuradhapura".

Spoiler :

"Summon the immortal scribe" ordered Puttalaka, "Let it be known, on the 27th year of Vikram Samvat, that under my enlightened reign, the boundaries of our great empire now encompasses the isle of Lanka"
Amatya Kartikeya frowned and turned towards the emperor "If you will pardon me.. samrat. There are more pressing matters to deal with."
"Like what ?"
"We have yet to deal with Vijayanand and that renegade Niyogi."
Samrat Puttalaka sat back and rubbed his hands on the armrests of the lion throne. "Do you have some news ?"
"Indeed I do your majesty." he said as he shuffled through his scrolls, "It has been informed to me through our guptachr, that two men were seen traveling upstream from Varanasi making their way to Takshashila through Indraprasth. Locals have described them in ways which match that of Vijayanand and Niyogi."
"So is it them ?"
"It is my belief that we may have at last caught our belligerents."
"This is excellent news ! I will have them executed by elephant before all the people of Pataliputra!"
"Then we must make provision for their arrest. Given the reports, I would estimate that the duo has made their way to Takshashila by now. We must initiate a search there."
"Who would you recommend for this task?"
"Your majesty, it would require a man with an iron will, one who would pursue these enemies without any inhibitions. And I have such a man in my sights."
Samrat Puttalaka leaned forward, "I am listening."

Kartikeya took out a scroll and read out the name of the man he entrusted with the task at hand, "Acharya Krishnadev Sinharan" . Hearing his name made the samrat's eyes widened and an expansive evil grin appeared on his face. A long time ago, Krishnadev Sinharan was charged with training the enforcement agency of Pataliputra. His regimen was harsh, and only the most efficient officers could be passed. Impressed with his skills, Samrat Hala had accorded him charge of enforcing justice in the province of Matsya as the Nyayadheesh. In the time he was entrusted this charge, Acharya Krishnadev Sinharan gained a reputation for ruthlessness. Coupled with his disdain for the lower castes and Buddhists, his cruel ways did much to stoke anger in the hearts of the people of the pro vince. Though he had successfully crippled the strength of the bandits of Sindhudesh, he did not rest satisfied. He began abusing his power and imposed his will upon enforcing the varna system in its strictest form. There was no respite for the shudra, the buddhist and the peasant under his reign. The heroism of the the peasant rebellion of Magadh had not yet been forgotten, the peasants of the realm were still restive, Samrat Hala could not risk an outbreak in Takshashila. Upon advise from Senapati Niyogi, he had the Acharya removed. He left his office disgraced and enraged, since then he has harbored a grudge against Vijayanand and the province of Matsya. "Send him." Samrat Puttalaka ordered.

Acharya Sinharan sat cross legged meditating under a peepul tree when the message came to him. Since his dishonor at Takshashila, he had been living in self exile in the forests east of Pataliputra. The message was read out to him, "Acharya Krishnadev Sinharan, the ever loyal and esteemed mahamantri Kartikeya has summoned you to the palace of Pataliputra, the samrat wishes to treat with you". The acharya remained still for a moment before opening his eyes, and a satisfied smile graced his face. The acharya went with the messenger and he brought him before the samrat, seated at the lion throne of the great hall of the palace.
"Acharya Krishnadev Sinharan" the voice of the samrat reverberated through the hall with a low rumbling tone.
"Mahamantri Kartikeya has seen fit to chose you for a most urgent task. You are to assume the august position of the nyayadheesh at Takshashila. The task of protecting dharma in provinces of Matsya and Gandhar are hereby yours."
The Acharya bowed with his hands folded, "This humble servant is most grateful for the honor that you bestow upon him, your majesty. I shall see to it that the rule of dharma is upheld in these most troubled provinces."

Later that day Mahamatya Kartikeya stayed awake late into the night. No one but the mahamatya knew what nefarious schemes were being designed in the darkest hours of the night. Kartikeya wrote twelve letters containing precise instructions which he would then send through his spies. Once the last of the letters were made, kartikeya turned around, in the shadows a shrouded man stood waiting. Kartikeya handed him the dozen scrolls, and said, "Have these delivered to Susiddharthak at the docks. He will know what to do with them and whom to send these to. Make sure no one notices you." the shrouded man did not utter a word, he simply bowed and departed. The shrouded man arrived at the docks where Kartikeya's trusted master spy Susiddharthak waited at a boat. The shrouded man handed him the scrolls, and then he knew what he must do. The spy would travel to Indraprasth and then to Takshashila, where Kartikeya's gambit would play out.

-----------

Two weeks later -

"Do you know or have you at any time known of the fugitive Vijayanand and his accomplice Niyogi ?" Sinharan questioned, the farmer stood shaken and in fear before the nyayadheesh.
"A..a..a Arya.. my brother .. was a soldier at Herat .."
"I reiterate! Have you at any time known of the fugitive Vijayanand and his accomplice ?"
the farmer swallowed his spit, then spoke stammering, "y y y yes arya, but but.."
"That will be all. Take him into custody , you shall be questioned further."
"Arya.. no! Arya my family .."
'They too shall be interrogated for any connection to the fugitives."
"naaa…"

The screams of the farmer accompanied him as he was taken away. Takshashila was once more witness to the iron handed ways of Krishnadev Sinharan. Upon joining duty as the nyayadheesh, he ordered all monasteries brought under military control and further ordered arbitrary interrogations of the family members of soldiers who had served under Vijayanand at Herat. Many had retired from service and joined their families in the villages of Matsya and Gandhar. These were the men whom Sinharan targeted for interrogation.

"And who is our next suspect?"
A soldier brought forth a frail old man dressed in the robes of a Buddhist monk. "Arya, this monk was propagating against the samrat saying that he is a usurper and that he did not have the qualities to make a fit ruler."
"Oh is that so?"
the frail man folded his hands, and looked up to Sinharan with a look of pity , "O noble one, find it in your heart to spare this old fool."
"Bhante! You claim to be a holy man, yet you indulge in the realm of politics ? You have sullied the respect your order commands. You have committed the crime of sedition. AS the nyayadheesh I have no choice but to grant you the penalty of death."
"Arya.. will you not reason ..?"
"Take him away! Send him to the dungeon. As of now his sangh and all its assets are confiscated in the name of Samrat Puttalaka."
"What justice is this ? This is wrong .. Arya Arya!" the pleas of the monk remained unheeded. When the sun would rise the next day, the monk would breath his last.

Hearing this news, a disciple rushed to warn his brothers. "Reverent Piyadasi has been taken ! Our beloved brother Piyadasi has been taken !" he shouted as he ran,
several disciples gathered around him, in shock of the news, "What are you saying Santanu ? How do you know this?!"
Santanu panted, "I saw.. Nyayadheesh. He has ordered our sangh to be shut down and our monastery to be taken over. We must flee."
"No!" a voice shouted from among the gathering. "We will not flee!"
The other disciples looked stunned at the dissenting voice.
It was brother Amit nath, "How much longer will we flee ? I still remember when Sinharan was in Takshashila. Our people suffered under his tyranny, but we were prepared to fight for our freedom. The Sangh has been the shelter to the needy and a refuge of enlightenment. A dozen monasteries have been shut down by this vile regime ! It must end and let it end here !"
"Brother, we cannot fight this scourge alone. Not with our meagre means."
"Yes we can ! The soldiers will not come till sunset, the cowards would not face us under the light of day. They have always struck after sunset. I can procure the weapons."
"What has happened to you brother ! Did we learn nothing from brother Piyadasi ? Had he not taught us to shun the way of violence ?"
"And look where he is today. I will stand my ground and defend our monastery. Those who are with me may come forward. We will arm ourselves and fight our ground. Those who wish to flee like cowards.. may do so."

There was a long pause when the disciples looked at one another, then one by one, they moved ahead. For every disciple that moved towards Santanu, two moved towards Amit Nath. Before long, out of seventy disciples fifty had joined Amit Nath while twenty walked with Santanu. Those who would walk the path of non-violence walked away with santanu, and those who would stand their ground remained with Amit Nath. "Come with me, and I will arm you."

At a forgotten corner of Takshashila, a shady merchant stayed hidden from the sight of men. Amit Nath walked up to him alone. "We need weapons. You had promised."
"I remember.." the merchant said in a shrill sharp voice,
"You are the disciple of monk Piyadasi yes ?"
"They took him" Amit Nath said in anger,
"'Tis a great injustice. Dark days have indeed fallen upon Takshashila."
"The Nyayadheesh has called for confiscating our monastery as well. But we will not let that happen"
"Indeed, if you are armed. they may not risk provoking a wider conflagration. But I know little of these matters, I scratch your back, you scratch mine."

Amit Nath took out a pouch filled with gold coins and dropped it before the merchant. "As promised."
The merchant gave a cackling laugh as he took the gold filled pouch. He entered to the back of his shack from where he took out a large trunk. It was laden with weapons, spears shields swords and tridents. "These will help your cause."

Amit Nath did not know of what was happening beyond the bounds of his monastery. He cared only for the security and integrity of the sangh, since long the Buddhists of Takshashila had faced the burden of persecution and Amit Nath had become wary of the ill treatment of their order. He did not know, that with the purchase of these weapons, he had invariably made himself the pawn of a grand strategy of Mahamatya Kartikeya. His trusted spies spread rumors across the lands of Matsya, that the buddhists of Takshashila had taken arms in defense of their order. Insurrection was incited throughout the lands of the Sindhu river.

Predictably, Acharya Sinharan resorted to ever harsher measures to curtail the prospective insurrection. He ordered the garrison troops of takshashila to clamp down on the monasteries. Amit Nath and his fifty followers were massacred and their monastery burned. This atrocity resulted in a spiral of death and destruction that spread like wildfire through the provinces of Matsya and Gandhar, and Kartikeya stood smiling quietly. "A dangerous game has begun."

Spoiler :

Can't wait for next part. :D

Okay, after all, Health is much more important than writing something for your own amusement. Hope you get better! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom