• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Rise of Asia

So here is what the startng places will look like

Attachments

• NRAM.jpg
    NRAM.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 185
By the way, a lot of early south east asian kingdom are decendants from Indian migrants or south china migrants.

In the list that you have listed at least I can see Majapahit and SriVijaya as two of them. And if you were to have these two great empires then I would suggest another few which is Langkasuka and Angkor. Also, do not forget the Thais.

While the first real Thai kingdom appeared around the 12th century, discoveries had been made in Thailand on Bronze Age weapons that superior to those from Mesopotamia (Thais used tin to make bronze as compared to arsenic ;) ) and also Iron weapons as old as those made by the Hitties.

On another note, would Ryukyu qualified as a Civ? I thought they are more of a trading port that really never grow? Just a thought. :)

Angkor=Kampuchea=Cambodia

Siam=Thailand

Well the Ryukyu had their own rulers, language, and culture, I think that is civilization, along with major cities, amries, and trade with Japan, China, and Java. They even had enough to pay China and Japan for 500 years not to invade them.

Angkor was a capital of Kampuchea, so it's already in.

The Mesopotamians normally used tin-based bronze; you may be thinking of the Egyptians, who indeed used arsenic bronze.

The heartland of the Maurya empire was the Gangetic plain. The capital, Pataliputra, was at modern Patna.

Ok, regarding the starting locations. First of, I think DaiViet should be higher up closer to the Hainan Isle.

Secondly, if you decide to add Langkasuka (which is older than bith Majapahit and SriVijaya with the kingdom founded in about 2nd Century AD :) ) then it is located in the Malaysia Pennisular.

Otherwise it looks great. :D

ShiroKobbure said:
there are like 7 Jin states at various times in almost every part of East Asia. Maybe thats why Jin means human in Japanese

The "Jin" of the Jurchen Jin Dynasty means "Gold." They called themselves the "Golden Kingdom." Now who wouldn't want to call themsleves "Gold Kingdom"? ;)

No offense, I like a lot the idea, but it never happened before to me that except 2 civs (Korea and Mongolia) I've never heard of any of the civilizations!

Come to think of it, if the Japanese is split into two, why not the chinese? Technically Han is only a Chinese empire. So why not split the Chinese into Yan and Hwang tribes? We Chinese do call ourselves the decendants of Yan & Hwang after all. ;)

Yan = 炎, Hwang = 黄 and Chinese are 炎黄子孙. :)

China is sepreated into 2, Yue and Han.
I couldnt find Hwang, when I searched the kanji in wikipedia japanese, I just found a colour.

The reason Ainu and Yamata are 2 is because there are totally unrelated, Ainu are Cacasuian-Australoids and they never became part of Japan until 1800s when Meiji said Ezo is part of Japan. Yamato are probably mix of Ainu (With Korean-Mongols-Chinese), but their culture was mostly Korean.

@Mirc, I wanted to have an ancient feeling to the game. I didnt want to have 21st century countries like "People's Republic of China", or "South Korea". hahaha
I tried to have the names be older than 300ad.

Bangladesh might be changed to Gangaridai, or Bangal.

Ogedai and TLC have rock solid info on South Asia I would add my endorsement to. Unless you want to go all the way back to the Harappans, of whom we know almost nothing culturally, Maurya is the best choice for the north since Asoka is so influential in the history of the subcontinent. Personally I would pick Chola for the south, mostly based on their impact as to architecture and the rest of "Culture".
Maurya's should definitely have a Kshatrya (heavy chariot). That's their knight equivalent - a royal archer + charioteer. I'll post pictures later.

Jayavarman VII had an all female Royal Guard. I'd nominate that for the Kmher, since the other things like elephant and crossbow units can be common to that whole part of Asia.

Sorry for second post: I'm playing catch-up on this thread.
I would favor calling Ceylon "Sri Lanka" instead. Ceylon is a British corruption of the name. And their UU should be a Tamil jungle fighter, noted for their bright red shield. When Vijaya invaded to conquer the island he married a local queen, who's people retreated into the jungle to wage a long term guerilla war when he spurned her. I believe I've referred to this info in a PM, Shiro.
As to bronze: the Irrawady valley is one of the few places in the world where copper and tin are found in close proximity to each other. The mines are really ancient. It may be the origin point of bronze for the entire world. Given the technologies involved a pottery -> bronzeworking tech line, with both copper and tin needed to build the relevant units might be interesting.
I'll be continuing the same mapwork here that i was doing before. I'm trying to be as geographically accurate as I can. Coastlines in the South China Sea area are particularly tricky. Right now the map is mostly just flat desert. As soon as I have mountains and rivers roughed out I'll post a draft. If anyone can't find the sources I'm working from in another thread, speak up, and I'll post a thumbnail here.

Top Bottom