Rise of Asia

Schema
I think though that if we include Japan, Korea, Tibet, and most of China we are going to wind up exactly where we were a year ago planning to do the full blown Rise of Asia. ...Let's start small. If our team pulls through there's no reason why we can't follow it up with another mod or scenario at a later date. So I'm an advocate of the "bottom half" approach with the following civs (suggested by Blue -yes, your thumbnail is what I envision the map looking like).

It depends on when you start and end those 500 years. As I said before, the 10th to 15th centuries are the most dynamic period at this time. Numerous empires rising and in competition, the Mongol threat, and lively maritime trade and contact in South and Southeast Asia. Indeed stretching it from the 200s to 1600 would make for an interesting mod, but you'd need multi-era leaderheads and graphics and lots of techs.

@7Ronin: If we focus on a specific time period, then including East, Southeast, and South Asia would not be a problem. I think the key problem is time period here.
I hear you guys, and everybody else, agreeing that the scope needs to be reduced. The disagreement seems to be in terms of whether to
  • Limit the time covered
  • Limit the geographical extent
  • Narrow the cultural focus
Last first: I think Ogedei has a better grasp on the intent that brought us together originally - the interaction of the Asian civs prior to outside incursions. To do that we need China playing off against India, nations like Japan and Korea alternating between expansion and xenophobia, Tibet & SE Asians struggling for their own identity between the restless giants (there's a reason it was called Indochina), and the hordes from the steppes giving everybody grief.

Geographically: I have a feeling tha map itself is intimidating. One option is to sharpen the focus by remaking the existing map at a smaller scale. This would eliminate the need for civs just to fill up the space, and force the remaining ones to be a bit more aggressive.

Limit the time period - but don’t start off with hard and fast cut-off dates. Let’s work out the tech level we want to start at (obviously we don’t want to start with the Harappans figuring what to do with all that alluvial mud, or the Shangs accidentally smelting copper and tin) and about where to end. That will reveal the time period we want to cover.

Praxis
As Shiro points out, we already have some excellent leaderheads waiting in the wings.
Shiro has also rightly pointed out the problem with finding appropriate props to finish some of those LHs. Solutions exist, but have to be sought. Let’s not base our decisions either on negative close-mindedness or pink cloud optimism.

Playable
Indian Subcontinent
Guptas in NW
Pallas in NE
Cholas in S

SE Asia
Angkor
Pagan
Srivijaya or Javanese

AI
Pirates
China (small portion)
Tibet

AI initial cities pre-placed; Human civs from settlers. Three tech "paths."
Why does that list look familiar? I guess the Mongols are sort of Land Pirates.:mischief:

Suggested Primary Division of Labor:
Rules/scenario assembly/editing: 7ronin
Leaderheads: Shiro
Pedia: Keroro
Map: Blue
New Units: Swoggy?
Graphics: OtM
Tech Tree Construction: Virote?
Research: all
Selection/determination of units, techs, buildings, game mechanics, etc.: all
These ought to be seen as crew chiefs, not bearers of sole responsibility.

I’m fine with my assigned spot. As part of the map work I’ll also take responsibility for researching the placement of whatever resources are agreed upon, and work (with help I hope) on any needed LM terrain. Of course I’m happy to help with any other research needed.

The tech which permits establishment of either of the three religions is expensive. Once you have switched however you can "import" religious artifacts of that religion which gain you points.

Trade: We can easily simulate the importance of east/west trade.

To advance beyond a certain point, the Chinese need the Chinese Resource. This resource is not found in China but is distributed in the other areas on the map which should stimulate China to go looking for it.
I had been thinking along these lines, but in a broader sense. Key resources (needed for building some units or improvements, and especially Wonders large and small, that are available from techs in your “flavor line”) are only available in the other flavor’s part of the map. As an example, I have friend who imports and sells odd things from all over the globe, including dragon's blood as an incense. He tells me that the ingredients are traditionally made in two parts. The first part is made according to a secret formula in SE Asia (Thailand I think), then exported to China where more ingredients are added using a formula that isn’t shared with the makers of the first part. Simulating this on a simpler level, we would end up with plenty of reasons for trade and warfare.

Take a look at Rood and Dragon , Rise and Fall of the Mughals and Desert and Mountain. There are a lot of nifty mechanical ideas in these three scenarios. For those of us who haven't created a scenario yet, I suggest reading Plotinus's How to Create a Scenario.
I agree, Plotinus is quite a scenario genius. I’ve played Mughals quite a bit, but not the other two. What mechanics caught your attention?

I think that if we can show some success and some authentic progress we might be able to persuade some of the unit makers to help us out. People are usually reluctant to contribute a lot of time to a project which isn't going anywhere.
One of the problems I’ve seen with this mod’s progress is one person feeling responsibility for the whole ball of wax, and eventually giving up. Without casting any blame at all, I’d like to point out that Shirou has posted here a lot more since “throwing in the towel” than he did for a few months prior.

I’d like to make a radical proposal as to the decision making process: consensus building. It’s something I learned while teaching at a school run by the Society of Friends.

Basically, there isn’t any boss, although there is a sort of “clerk” to keep track of what has been decided, and keep the discussion on the point. The clerk has to periodically make clear the state of the consensus, without trying to force the decision one way or the other. Decisions are reached through discussion, where careful attention is paid to any objection or contending points of view.

There isn’t really a vote; things are decided when everyone has either agreed, or explicitly lays their objections aside and is willing to go with the consensus. For it to work each member has to be committed to finding and carrying out what the group as a whole needs, not just their own interests.

It can be rough to get this style of a group going, but in the long run it works well, because everyone’s voice is not just heard, but matters; the tyranny of the majority is avoided, but those in the minority also learn to consider the whole, rather than their special interest. Clerkship can be rotated; since they’re not a “leader” there’s less need to burn out and bail, just ask to pass the baton and then continue as a working member.

I'd propose that the group, for consensus purposes, consist of the "crew chiefs"; while we can consider input from any delurkers, only those committed to developing the mod ought to have a say in the consensus.

OK, I did say it was radical, and just a proposal.

We don't need multi era heads. Civ 4 doesn't. Going from 300s ad to 1600s ad wouldn't add that many techs. And we have some good ancient Asian and Indian units. As I said before the hardest part about making a mod is getting leaderheads and units. The rest is just tedious work. But what I need are people who have a committed role other than myself making heads and units, and blue monkey making the map.
My civ list would be:
Two or Three Indian civs (Blue Monkey's choice)
Thai
Khmer
Vietnam (probably Nam Viet or Annam)
An Indonesian civ
An Malya civ
Tebit (whatever the name)
China (I dont know when China is one civ, I would want more than 2 Chinese civs)
Mongols
Korea (porbably Shilla still)
Wa
Ryukyu
Ainu (I already have the head almost finished)

Now I know the civ lists arent historically accurate, because they dont start at the same time. But its just because I either have the heads, or I want to make the heads. And this game was supposed to be for me to make heads, and maybe some units.

@ Blue Monkey- I would like to have 3 Indian heads, but I want to use that female Indian head, where can she go?
And getting the props I want is often hard, I can ask for someone to make them but often they wont be very good if they do, look at SoG's Thai helmet. He posted the request on a Poser forum, and he got something that I could have made with simple shapes. And often I don't know what I want, I just want something that looks like Indian, or SE Asian, or whatever. I did ask Civ Army to make an Indian crown that I wanted. But I'm not sure if her can make it, or if it will look good or not.

Going from 300s ad to 1600s ad wouldn't add that many techs

I disagree. Having few techs for a 1300-year time period simply perpetuates the long-discredited, but still-held stereotype of a stagnant Asia. If we're going to be going that long, then there has to be quite a lot of techs. One thing that you haven't clarified is why the 300s in particular as a starting point? Starting China in the 300s would have China in the Jin Dynasty (265-420 CE) by the way.

because all the ancient Japanese units and UtahJazz's Asian swordsman are from around that time. ^ ^;;
And the unit line seems more specialized in the the 500 time frame. It would either require a lot of units that arent that different. Or too few upgrades.
I would like late Ancient spearman-->Early Medievil spearman-->High Medievil spearman-->Musketman.

Thanks to Blue for better explaining my thoughts on "responsibilities" than I could. :crazyeye: It goes without saying that no one should be "held" solely responsible for any one area or that they should go it alone. The "crew chief" concept is exactly on target. I also agree that without a "head chief" concensus is the only strategy which works. We just need to avoid the endless dithering. :mischief:

If we can focus and keep the momentum going, I don't see why we couldn't go with the original map and civs provided we limit the time period to OtM's tenth to fifteenth centuries. Can anyone suggest any cultural divides or watersheds which might define a beginning and ending date? For example, in Japan, circa 1200 marks the beginning of the Kamakura Shogunate and the relegation of the emperor and the central government to largely a ceremonial role. Circa 1600 marks the end of Japan's "feudal" period and the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate.

So, original map approximately 1100 to 1600 (or 1000 to 1500) with one leader head per civ? :confused:

By the way, during this period China is one civ. Indian Queens as sole ruler? We have Didda, the Hindu queen of Kashmir in the 12th century; and Dharma Mahadevi, the queen of Gupta in the 11th century.

@ Blue Monkey- I would like to have 3 Indian heads, but I want to use that female Indian head, where can she go?
Tamils were matrilineal if not always matriarchal. So Cholas out of the choices listed in the last page or two.

And this game was supposed to be for me to make heads, and maybe some units.
Wow! I guess I missed something. When I came on board as a participant rather than a commentator on Feb 11, 2006 it looked like Sword_of_Geddon had made the original post in the old thread, and was ringmaster of the circus. Maybe I didn't see a PM or something where SoG offered to get a mod sponsored for the sole purpose of letting you make some graphics. Where is that message, by the way? If this mod is for you, then step up and make it go.

Sorry, :old: Rant induced by inadvertent exposure to pre-school level near-sightedness. Where's my blood-pressure medicine?

because all the ancient Japanese units and UtahJazz's Asian swordsman are from around that time. ^ ^;;
So the mod is for you to make units, but when it starts depends on how many you don't have to make?

I make posts that take a couple of hours to write, because I read what others have written, ponder it, then respond. Then I have to hold a conversation with people that don't think before they type. I don't want to be involved with decision-makers that aren't willing to design, then implement.

It's late. I'm tired. Maybe the latter part of this conversation will make more sense tomorrow.

Blue - "and maybe some units."
And this is not the same mod that SoG started.
Stop trying to be so superior, I don't want to deal with it. I don't know if you don't notice what you says makes me angry or if you do it by accident. But I don't have to deal with it. This isn't my job, I don't get paid. And every time you try to demean me, it makes my moral less.
Right now, I don't even want to do anything for this mod.

Hello all. This thread does move quickly while I'm in bed - hard to take it all in sometimes. I'm happy to be 'governor' of the civpedia, though I would expect to be given a fair amount of help with it from others who have specialities in certain areas. I'll concentrate on getting it looking pretty and comprehensive. I would also be happy to work a bit on the tech tree - I'm competent at placing techs and getting the arrows to point in the right directions, so Virote, if you need any help then let me know. :)

Some random thoughts - there's way too much here to comment on everything.

The tech tree - I agree with Blue's basic premise of having a central line of techs with secondary (flavour) lines that have the first line as prereq. It should work well. We could easily overcomplicate this if we're not careful though. I suggest that we have a maximum of four (Indian, Japanese, Korean and Indochine) secondary tech lines, with the Chinese having the comparative advantage of using the central line as their main tech tree - to represent their fairly dominant position in the region.

Some thoughts on religion: The tech which permits establishment of either of the three religions is expensive. Once you have switched however you can "import" religious artifacts of that religion which gain you points.
Sounds good. What plans do we have with goverments in the mod? There is a possibility of linking the religions with governments and having specific buildings only effective under certain governments.

On the civs - if we're going for a grand scheme (rather than splitting the map in two) then the civ list that Shiro has looks good to me. How about a preview of that Ainu head - would be most interesting to see what you've come up with. The female Indian head (I have an ulterior motive for wanting that finished ;)) would seem perfect for the Cholas. Certainly IMO we only need single era heads. As for timeframe, everyone has a different idea. :crazyeye: I would suggest starting around 500 or 600 and going to maybe 1200 or 1300. This gives us 600 - 800 years to develop for. I know it's a bit later than Shiro has in mind, and a bit earlier than 7Ronin has in mind, but it should give us a period with plenty happening and, importantly to my mind, will stop before the outsiders start arriving in force.

To advance beyond a certain point, the Chinese need the Chinese Resource. This resource is not found in China but is distributed in the other areas on the map which should stimulate China to go looking for it.
Interesting idea - perhaps it should be renamed though, like 'Chinese claim'. In my experience the AI is more likely to go to war for a resource needed to make units rather than buildings, so maybe make it required for the best Chinese attacking units?

I think we should base RoA on "well known" civs, instead of timelines, because the more well-known, the more easy it would be to gather information. Of the (limited) list of civs I know of, some that I would like to see would be (and I have a preference for very early and very late civs myself ;)):
01. Qin Empire
02. Japan
03. Korea
04. Maurya
05. Chola
06. Mongols
07. Bengal
08. Thailand/Sukhothai
09. Khmer
10. Java
11. Burma/Myanmar
12. Sri Lanka
13. Tibet
14. Nepal (maybe)
15. Wako (Pirates in the Japanese culture)
16. Sailendra
17. Dai Viet
19. Orang Laut (Pirates in the Indochina culture)(maybe)
20. Vijayanagar
EDIT: And maybe another Chinese civ, too.

That's my list.

And I'd also be happy to head the tech-tree design, although I'd probably need help with finding non-generic techs!

Sailendra is simply a dynasty that ruled Java, not a different civilization from the Javanese. Pirates shouldn't be playable civs. What we should have is a shorter list of playable flavored civs and the others simply be "lesser" AI-only generic civs. Trying to do too many things at once will just delay the process more; we can easily add things in "expansions."

With this mod I am in charge. And since I will make most or all of the graphics for it, I think I should be incharge of the things I make. So, SoG and the members are welcome here. But I wont accept the bad additutes of some of the members on BA.

I think this mod will focus on East Asia as well. I dont consider India to be part of Asia.

And this is not the same mod that SoG started.
You're right. I'm wrong. I should have been forewarned. You're welcome to the map, as is. Adapt it in any way you like.

If anyone has questions about the subcontinent or related civs in Afghanistan, Tibet, or SE Asia (including Indonesia) feel free to post them in the Bazaar thread. I'll answer them promptly.

Frankly, with the departure of Blue Monkey and the return to our earlier form of governance, I don't see any particular reason myself to continue on. I suggest that anyone who ends up heading this project exercise diplomacy, compromise when necessary, keep the discussion moving, and make a decision once in a while. I'm going to work on my own projects but I will stop by from time to time to see if you've made any progress.

Will you still be making units and leaderheads then?

If time permits, I will gladly take over the project.

Top Bottom